Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you miss Andy Gray?

• 22-07-2012 3:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭

I don't miss him from the punditry as i think Gary Neville is excellent at what he does, but i do miss him from the commentary position. Him and Martin Tyler were an excellent partnership and both together could make any match feel more exciting.

Alan Smith bores me to death, Ray 'I'm everyones mate' Wilkins is awful and Niall Quinn almost ruined Aguero's last gasp goal to win the title for City.

I won't bother talking about what ESPN, Setanta, RTE, BBC, ITV and Channel 5 have to offer.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Yes.

He was awful, but I loved him. And after he got sacked it was weird watching the matches, especially the big games, or the 4:00 games on a Sunday without him. He had those great moments aswell, like the Gerrard CL goal, or his ''take a bow''s.

I also miss Keys, the new presenter seems so awkward and out of place IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

No, Alan Smith and Gary Neville give more depth and intelligence to both positions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

No. He was incredibly annoying all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Agree with the OP completely. Gary Neville is superb in the MNF analyst role, but for Super Sundays you can't beat Tyler and Gray. I don't particularly expect quality analysis from TV punditry or from the commentary box at all, I'll get that elsewhere afterwards, I want someone who can add atmosphere to a big match occasion and the combination of Tyler's knowledgeable composure and Gray's unbridled enthusiasm was perfect for me. It still feels lacking without him, and I think he's wasted (and exposed too) on Talksport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Not a flipping hope I miss that wretched man. He was a nasty character, too pally with a lot of the players and there was always a nasty xenophobic undercurrent to him.

I didn't mind Richard Keys but if I had to sacrifice Keys to get rid of the other guy then so be it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Just flick on Talksport every day. Keys and Grey have a show together on there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

I have to say I miss him. He seemed more passionate about his commentary than the rest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I felt that Gray/Keys were getting a bit too smarmy for my liking and Gray, especially, could see no wrongdoing by one club in particular. I think they were getting too close to the big clubs to be impartial.

I never would have considered Neville as a suitable candidate for the job, but I have to say that he has really impressed me so far. Good players don't always make good managers etc. and I initially thought he wouldn't be up it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

No, I absolutely hated Gray and am delighted not to have to see his fat smug head or listen to his annoying voice anymore. As an added bonus I don't have to watch his lap dog try to make love to him every Sunday. No Keys & Gray = :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭RayCon

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,080 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

A definite NO.

And I miss that Richard Keys guy even less. Jez, they were tortures.

Keys was so fake it was untrue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

I would rather have aids than have to listen to Andy Gray again.

Over the top, hyperbolic bullsh*t.

jamc wrote: »
    I would rather have aids than have to listen to Andy Gray again.

Over the top, hyperbolic bullsh*t.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Think you can tell a lot about a person if they found Andy Gray entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Always disliked him so....... No

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

I think I hated Keyes more than Gray, both of them are tools of the highest order, Keyes was like an over excited puppy, and if you look at the transcript of the story that brought their Sky careers to an end, the comment by Keyes to Rednapp said it all, "did you Jamie, I bet you did"
    You could picture him with his eyes closed and his hand down his pants when he was asking that question :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Guys, can we refrain from actually insulting Keys or Gray in here? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I think Neville, even though I didnt like him as a player, has been excellent in his new role with sky. So I dont miss Gray or Keys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Anyone hear the Football Rambles impression of Andy Gray, had me in stiches

• Advertisement

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Anyone hear the Football Rambles impression of Andy Gray, had me in stiches

Have you got a link to it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

No. Gray was a spoofer, his Messi comment summed him up :rolleyes:

Keys was every bit as bad, both were useless and I was delighted when they got what was coming to them.

Apparently Gray and Tyler didn't get on that well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

I kind of miss having him there to shout and moan about.

Never really liked him, but he came out with some cracking, over-the-top sayings sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Not in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭mags1962

He was a Sly Sports dream in that he bigged up the greatest load of tosh and over hyped so much it was annoying. Did he ever predict or call anything correctly because his 20:20 hindsight really got on my nerves. Very glad he got what was coming to him and NO I don't miss him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,473 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

nope

mags1962 wrote: »
    He was a Sly Sports dream in that he bigged up the greatest load of tosh and over hyped so much it was annoying. Did he ever predict or call anything correctly because his 20:20 hindsight really got on my nerves. Very glad he got what was coming to him and NO I don't miss him.

To be fair, just recently on Talksport he called the Premiership end of season results of Man Utd and Man City almost perfectly.

I'm not even arguing he's a fantastic expert with a solid track record, just if you're gonna criticise him, at least make valid criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Not a flipping hope I miss that wretched man. He was a nasty character, too pally with a lot of the players and there was always a nasty xenophobic undercurrent to him.

I didn't mind Richard Keys but if I had to sacrifice Keys to get rid of the other guy then so be it.

You don't think Keys was a xenophobe, himself?

Remember the highly regrettable comment about the black Scottish player, which I won't repeat here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭Seans_Username

Not at all!

Agree with the OP that his commentary was entertaining. He was never biased to any club in the league which was surprising.

But for European football, he was awful. With the resources available to him he should have been able to analyse the teams well. But he just stuck to sucking up to the EPL and rambling on about how much better it is than everywhere else. You could tell he never watched a game in any other league, he actually thought the Italian teams still had the massive defensive mentality and they were all twice as old as the other team.

As well as that, for a Scot he never seemed to care for the international team that much. He commentated on the England games and spoke about the squads and I don't remember him being on the panels for any of the Scotland games either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

kryogen wrote: »
    Have you got a link to it?

no was hoping someone else had :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,992 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Andy Gray and Richard Keys were far better than their replacements in their best spots. Thats Gray as co-commentator and Keys as presenter.

You'd nearly fall asleep during some games these days with Alan Smith boring you to death. Sky could get some good replacements, Sam Allardyce showed that there are good replacements out there when he did a couple of games. What they have now is boring guys who are afraid to say anything out of place lest it comes back to haunt them. That was the great thing about Gray, he didn't care if he was wrong he just continued on predicting things and the take a bow thing was great when a player from your own team scored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I don't miss Gray or Keys but some of the co-commentating is woeful,Ray Wilkins sounds like he should be commentating on snooker or golf.
    Neville does a great job as an analyst but his co-commentary is a bit iffy,perhaps he'll improve after getting his first season out of the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Given the fact that he was replaced by Gary Neville, no; Gray is crap and Neville actually knows what he's talking about, we got a good deal there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Couldn't we have him on standby just for the take a bow moments. I agree completely neville is far superior in his knowledge, like gray's passion at times could not be disliked tho, i.e. Gerrard Goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Do I miss my jock itch, ingrown toenail or chronic chefs ass?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Do I miss my jock itch, ingrown toenail or chronic chefs ass?

Do you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Have you all seen this?

50 Shades of Andy Gray

Funniest twitter account I have ever read

(you have to read them with his voice).

https://twitter.com/50SOAndyGray

EDIT: Recommend scrolling down to July 9th and prior for the funniest ones.

EXAMPLE:

We can’t” she insists as he stuffs his hand up her dress “you’re marrying my mum tomorrow.” He retorts, “Play the game, not the occasion.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I think those who are say they miss him are really just missing the accent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

I think those who are say they miss him are really just missing the accent.
    Tick-a-boo son!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

I've never had Sky so i couldn't say.

I have listened to the talksport show a few times though, they really do get the common man on there sometimes with their jovial recollections of playing at Augusta, certain 5 star hotels they have stayed at etc etc etc. Its like that sketch from Harry Enfield and chums years ago sometimes with them, i know they have to fill time but i couldnt stomach them for long with the 'i have considerably more money than you' outlook on life. Its no wonder the EPL stars listen in, there's some kind of 'money bond' there.

Craig Burley, Mark Bright and Alan Smith are the worst commentators i have heard in years, the outright negativity grinds my gears. There are far better commentators on online streams most of the time.

The only way you could miss Keys and Gray is if you havent really listened to anything else for the last 15 years or whatever length of time they had been going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

The number of good pundits on English television is minute. I turn the sound down so I don't have to suffer through it. Crowd noise only please.

As to whether I preferred Gray or not - it's much of a muchness. Virtually all commentators have massive downsides - hyperbolic, pessimistic, boring, ignorant, stupid, possessing an irritating voice, partisan - most fall into one of them and a few have several of those traits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Double post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

noodler wrote: »
    Have you all seen this?

50 Shades of Andy Gray

Funniest twitter account I have ever read

(you have to read them with his voice).

https://twitter.com/50SOAndyGray

EDIT: Recommend scrolling down to July 9th and prior for the funniest ones.

EXAMPLE:

We can’t” she insists as he stuffs his hand up her dress “you’re marrying my mum tomorrow.” He retorts, “Play the game, not the occasion.”
    Having read the first 6 or 7 (and hence not bothered to scroll down to July 9th), that is probably the least funny thing on Twitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Used to love watching the early Sunday match with Smith, then the big one with Gray.

Richard Keys has hairy arms.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

No. Delighted he's gone. Awful pundit and commentator. No insight just appeals to the masses with sensationalist crap.

Yeah, you don't want analysis appealing to the masses. The sign of a good analyst is that as few people as possible agree with them. :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

leggo wrote: »
    Yeah, you don't want analysis appealing to the masses. The sign of a good analyst is that as few people as possible agree with them. :D

Do you intentionally miss the point or do you need it spoon fed to you? - Genuine question.

For example, the Sun appeals to the masses yet would you use it as a reliable source?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

CSF wrote: »
    Having read the first 6 or 7 (and hence not bothered to scroll down to July 9th), that is probably the least funny thing on Twitter.

Well, if I could have linked you directly to the July 9th ones then I would have, failing that my only option was to post the link and advise.

I can't really control for what you are or aren't bothered with!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Say what you will about them but this will never be topped as the greatest youtube video ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

These two thought they were every bit as integral to a super duper sunday as the teams playing. I enjoyed their downfall. Would love to know the story behind it all though. Who took them out and why?

• Advertisement
Advertisement