Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the best cheese under the grill?

Options
  • 22-07-2012 3:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭

Being fond of a toasted cheese sambo, sometimes
    with and sometimes without, i've been getting a lot of tasteless
    things recently trying out different so called brands.

:(

Cheese which tastes grand unfrazzled tastes terrible frazzled.
    If you get me drift.

Does anyone have a tasty one? I don't care what. Packaged,
    processed, cheap or expensive (not so much farmer's market though)
    anything would be of help.

The stronger the cheesy taste the better. Thanks.

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Stuck Cone

Cracker Barrell

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Uncle_moe

Extra mature cheddar i.e. the large block in lidl that comes in the navy blue packet.

Aged Gruyere is better melted than straight from the block

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

M&S Cornish Cruncher, it goes all melty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

I had ham and cheese on toast. I used Arla Discover Mozzarella. Goes lovely and stringy when melted. Great on pasta too if you diced it up. I get it in Supervalu.

vnh10w.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

The 'Specially Selected' mature cheddar from Aldi is my favourite - tangy and salty, it's delicious!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭OldeCinemaSoz

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I'll try out each and every one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Gruyere under the grilled with a tiny bit of Wouchester sauce is delish!

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Birdsong

olaola wrote: »
    The 'Specially Selected' mature cheddar from Aldi is my favourite - tangy and salty, it's delicious!

This is a delicious cheese, really nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Edam is pretty nice too...

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Grainne2012

"Old Amsterdam" or any "Oud" Dutch cheese - salty and crunchy grilled, just yummy.
    Cypriot Halloumi grilled or charred on the bbq is divine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

"Old Amsterdam" or any "Oud" Dutch cheese - salty and crunchy grilled, just yummy.
    Agree there ... the ultra young stuff you get here is awful. The Dutch keep all the really good mature stuff (belegen, extra belegen, oud and the crumbly brokkelkaas) to themselves. I like the way the salt crystals start to crystallize out into the cheese ... yumm!

What are also good are some of the less well known crumbly British cheeses like Cheshire, Lancashire and Caerphilly, but I've not seen them here unfortunately. It doesn't really melt in the same way as the harder cheddar style cheeses and has a really 'sharp' taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

Can't beat melted easy singles for a toasted sandwich!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

old amsterdam, old dutch master, beamster, superquinn superior quality red vinatge cheddar :)

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Supersiderman

Dubliner's Mature Cheddar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

livinsane wrote: »
    I had ham and cheese on toast. I used Arla Discover Mozzarella. Goes lovely and stringy when melted. Great on pasta too if you diced it up. I get it in Supervalu.
    The stronger the cheesy taste the better. Thanks.

I don't think anyone could ever accuse mozzarella of having a strong cheesy taste, in fairness, which is what the OP is looking for.

Gruyere, Emmenthal and extra mature cheddars, double Gloucester or a mature Red Leicester are my personal faves for toasting with. All with a few sploshes of Worcestershire sauce, as someone already mentioned. A bit of Parmesan mixed into the cheese will also liven up any toasted cheese sarnie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

I would recommend skipping the bread sometimes. Buy some halloumi (sp?) - grill it on it's own, use some tin foil. Squeeze some lemon juice and serve with nice tomatoes garnished with fresh herbs. Seriously tasty, you could equally fry the halloumi off in hot pan. It holds it's shape well and is so tasty with a bit of lemon juice chucked in.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 BloatedPope

Merkin wrote: »
    Gruyere under the grilled with a tiny bit of Wouchester sauce is delish!

Agreed. I absolutely love melted gruyere

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Will people please stop replying to this thread?!

I go for the kitchen every time I read a new post, I'm going to be the size of a semi-d!!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭saleda

I have memories of my aunt mixing grated cheddar with mustard before spreading on bread and toasting. It was gorgeous. I know what I'm having for lunch tomorrow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

Am eating mature white cheddar cheese on honey and sunflower bloomer, sprinkled with worchester sauce and self-loathing.....yum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Lately I've started eating alot of blue cheese. Started when I was making mushrooms topped with spinach and blue cheese. Now its like Frank's. I put it on everything. Aldi blue cheese is nice but have settled on castello blue. Doesn't take long to melt either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Red Leicester is the king of the grilled cheeses. It has one of the most beautiful melts of any cheese allowing for good grill time and lots of bubbles with only slight deformation as the cheese slightly rolls over the edge of the bread. It can be very slightly browned if people prefer it this way and is very controlable so wont just turn to carbon in a blink. It's a slow and savoured cooking experience.

Red Leicester takes other flavours well so if you are so inclined you can add some branston pickle (small chunk) or other flavours to add a bit of spice and interest to the cheese melting experience.

The only downside is that you will be coming back for more.....

God bless you Red Leicester! King of grilled cheese!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I really enjoy grilling wensleydale over some grilled veggies on a nice ciabatta.

Advertisement