Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cash Aid for the stranded "Pilots"

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Im not sure of all the details but there would have to be a good case made for the tax payer funding this. I do feel sorry for them all the same becoming a pilot is one fo the hardest things to do. I would feel even more sorry if any of them dont come from rich stock because becoming a pilot is a very costly process.

I will say that the sterotype of the posh pilot isnt always the case as some poeple seem to think. One of my greatest role models Is actually a guy the same age as me. We both came from a council estate but this gey knew he wanted to be a pilot from a young age. He did a ton of crap jobs and worked very extremely hard to get his private license and then his commercial license. If there was a person like him being compensated then I wouldnt have a problem doing that. I wouldnt be happy compensating someone with rich parents who wanted a new hobby (not that theres many people like that).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

suck what, oh you like to suck? really? oh wait no you actually suck? ah right i see, each to their own i suppose.

Whu ?

What you smokin pilgrim ? :confused:

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Im not sure of all the details but there would have to be a good case made for the tax payer funding this. I do feel sorry for them all the same becoming a pilot is one fo the hardest things to do. I would feel even more sorry if any of them dont come from rich stock because becoming a pilot is a very costly process.

I will say that the sterotype of the posh pilot isnt always the case as some poeple seem to think. One of my greatest role models Is actually a guy the same age as me. We both came from a council estate but this gey knew he wanted to be a pilot from a young age. He did a ton of crap jobs and worked very extremely hard to get his private license and then his commercial license. If there was a person like him being compensated then I wouldnt have a problem doing that. I wouldnt be happy compensating someone with rich parents who wanted a new hobby (not that theres many people like that).

Sorry Dude...but it dosn't matter a jot whether parents is poor or rich..if they took out a private contract and it goes belly up....they end up loosing.

Tough ! Sorry for them an all that but my gripe is why do they expect the taxpayer to bail them out.

Just can't figure that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Sorry Dude...but it dosn't matter a jot whether parents is poor or rich..if they took out a private contract and it goes belly up....they end up loosing.

Tough ! Sorry for them an all that but my gripe is why do they expect the taxpayer to bail them out.

Just can't figure that.

Ah I suppose your right. I was just trying to point out that not every pilot is has 100k to blow.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Arpa

I looked into the PTC a couple of years back and decided against it. Even in my early correspondence there seemed to be an over zealous eagerness on their part to lure me in. After an initial email enquiry I received over 15 personalised emails attempting to have me pay an assessment fee of approx €290. This was just the cost of an initial aptitude test. Something tells me now that I may well have passed that test had I been eligible or not. I am glad I steered clear. For those of you who are interested here is a facsimile of one of the correspondences I received from PTC Ireland.

Thank you for your enquiry to The Pilot Training College. I understand from your enquiry that you are interested in getting further information on pursuing a career as an airline pilot.
    The Integrated Airline Pilot Training Programme we offer is highly focused and structured; this allows you to obtain the necessary training and experience to be able to transition to an international airline in as little as 12-14 months. This course will bring you all the way from beginner level to having all the licences required to interview with an airline for a position as a first officer.
    The course is designed for complete beginners and is open to anybody who can obtain the following entry requirements:
    1. Complete the Pilot Skills and Aptitude Assessment
    2. Complete a Professional Class 1 medical exam
    3. Complete a finance plan
    I have further information on all of the entry requirements and the Integrated Airline Pilot Training Programme itself in the brochure below. Simply click on the link and it will give you all of the information required.
    Integrated Airline Pilot Programme Brochure

Professional Pilot Assessment Day

As a training advisor, I understand that if this is your first time enquiring you may need some assistance in navigating through the information. I am happy to help you in any way I can; as this is a global industry and starting out can be difficult to contemplate.
    Please do not hesitate to contact me by phone or email, I would be very happy to discuss this further with you.

Kind regards,

I really do feel for the lads who forked out that cash, and it's silly to suggest there were all funded by their rich parents. In other emails I was told that PTC would aid me in securing a bank loan as I was a student at the time. Imagine if I had secured a loan for ninety odd grand and this had happened.

It is however, not something which should be met with any compensation by the state. This was a private agreement and investment. Much like investing in any venture...do your homework.

I ceased correspondence with PTC after being bombarded with requests to attend this and that by phone and email. I received at least one call a month for one year. Although they were friendly and open with their information they seemed to keen and this didn't look like proper conduct for a flight school.

People should go easy on the lads who got done. I can understand how they must feel after getting so far, but the mammies screaming for compensation should really keep quiet. They are making themselves look ridiculous. Research it before remortgaging the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,219 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

What you smokin pilgrim ?

you address me by my proper username you little thick, its end of the road not pilgrim. judging by your posts your obviously to stupid to comprehend that.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Just can't figure that.

Let me ask you this. The Banks in Ireland were private institutions. They messed up, but the taxpayer (public) stepped in and bailed them out to the tune of billions. Now, the taxpayer is being forced to undergo austerity because of the blackhole the Banks turned out to be. This cost us billions, maybe trillions. I am just trying to follow your logic, I know it wasn't a point you were making in earlier posts. I am sure though you must feel aggrieved by the situation following your reason. The banks cost us billions and they have totally depressed our economy. These guys in Florida were trying to make something productive of themselves, regardless of their background that is a noble effort from a country that at times, will settle for low standards because "sure **** it" atd atitudes.

It wouldn't bankrupt us to bail out people instead of those banks and they would benefit the economy by taking a burden off social welfare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

I am setting up my own flight training school for muppets.

You must pay me €100,000 up front, and make your own way to the airport in Lagos, Nigeria.

I will meet you there.

If for some reason my training school goes bankrupt, please complain to your Transport Minister for compensation.

MORONS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Augmerson wrote: »

It wouldn't bankrupt us to bail out people instead of those banks and they would benefit the economy by taking a burden off social welfare.

Utter madness.

And fro a mathematical point of view, how would giving these idiots €100 k each be cheaper than paying the Social Welfare?

Tell you what, give me a hundred grand, and I promise never to go on the dole.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Pkiernan wrote: »

Utter madness.

And fro a mathematical point of view, how would giving these idiots €100 k each be cheaper than paying the Social Welfare?

Tell you what, give me a hundred grand, and I promise never to go on the dole.

How about a government loan? Not to the tune of 100k, but 10 or 15 grand would be very useful at this time. In Sweden, uni students get large loans from the Gov't. Then they are able to graduate and pay back those loans. Investing in people works.

you address me by my proper username you little thick, its end of the road not pilgrim. judging by your posts your obviously to stupid to comprehend that.

Cool down my friend and less of the personals please....you sound like a Dude suffering from a bad case of infected piles.....I have some medical knowledge and can recommend a good salve which might help.........?

Let me ask you this. The Banks in Ireland were private institutions. They messed up, but the taxpayer (public) stepped in and bailed them out to the tune of billions. Now, the taxpayer is being forced to undergo austerity because of the blackhole the Banks turned out to be. This cost us billions, maybe trillions. I am just trying to follow your logic, I know it wasn't a point you were making in earlier posts. I am sure though you must feel aggrieved by the situation following your reason. The banks cost us billions and they have totally depressed our economy. These guys in Florida were trying to make something productive of themselves, regardless of their background that is a noble effort from a country that at times, will settle for low standards because "sure **** it" atd atitudes.

Yes I am very agrieved by the Banking situation and am paying through the nose for it.

Lost a six figure sum on Bank shares but I am not looking for the State to re- emburse me....shit happens !

The reason the Banks were bailed out was that if they failed the whole economy would go belly up...no money in the ATM'S and the whole Banking structure in ruins.

This is not the case with the trainee pilots / or somebody who looses their money when a travel agent goes bust.

So really there is no logic....just different scales

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Pkiernan wrote: »
    I am setting up my own flight training school for muppets.

You must pay me €100,000 up front, and make your own way to the airport in Lagos, Nigeria.

I will meet you there.

If for some reason my training school goes bankrupt, please complain to your Transport Minister for compensation.

MORONS.

Do you take cash?

Advertisement