Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do non farmers live in the countryside?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

I live in the country and there is a field opposite that constantly has tractors driving in and out, now the road outside my house is usually covered in muck, my car is filthy, but do I care? No, I live in the country so I know chances are I am probably going to see the odd bit of muck.

Anyway the farmer does make an effort to clean the road from time to time but he has to earn a living too so cant be cleaning it everytime a tractor drives up it.

Your one just sounds like a right pain the local busy body with nothing better to be doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

skydish79 wrote: »
    How to people from towns and cities get planning permission for one of houses?

Do they not have to be local to the area within 7- 8 miles?

I would assume they buy the site after planning permission is granted

it's not your road.

Its not her's either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Graces7 wrote: »
    Other issues that arose were crowbangers; this has now been sorted by the Gardai as they were being left on all night. We tried every other avenue of appeal to no avail; probably the all night thing was deliberate!! NB they are illegal now and they don't work anyways.

Are you sure on this, been to the high court and back over a crow banger and won the case thankfully, the bangers were only going during daylight hours though. Judge came to the conclusion that a farmer has a right to protect their crops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

Interesting thread.

I have lived among farms some 30 years, mostly sheep farms. Give and take is vital, especially as I had critters of my own.

Have helped at shearing times etc etc. Kept an eye on lls sheep etc. Watered them in dry weather and rounded them back in when they got out. Neighbours do that.

When we moved to cattle country two years ago, there were many different aspects to get used to. I did ask a few things here, but got insulted too many times to carry on!!!
    Which is self defeating for the farmers, as it is learning and talking that helps every situation. The deliberately antagonistic suggestions here will exacerbate every situation.

And they were not what I have encountered face to face, thankfully. And were not what I had encountered in previous houses either.

Slurry was one issue; I needed to know eg when etc, as I have allergy problems. My question was not a complaint yet it was taken as such. Puts folk's backs up when that happens.

Now i know to close doors and windows and wear a mask when this is happening and that is fine. NB I live where I do as allergy issues and noise issues are far worse in towns, and here also I have more control and more peace and privacy ....I use the wee small hours well and sleep early as I need to.

it is simply a case of getting used to a situation. Seeing if anything can be changed and if not getting used to it.

Other issues that arose were crowbangers; this has now been sorted by the Gardai as they were being left on all night. We tried every other avenue of appeal to no avail; probably the all night thing was deliberate!! NB they are illegal now and they don't work anyways.

Cows in the garden also sorted; an extra fence up.

They belong to our landlord which helped greatly!

It is no use being antagonistic; had the OP been less so with the woman, things might have eased.

You get further with honey than with vinegar.

If anyone speaks to me like that they get as good as they give and more!

Noise issues can indeed he helped by ear plugs, but I worked this out for myslef. I know the farming seasons and rhythms here now. Love watching the teams with the sileage.. who needs TV...

Know too that the cows will be noisy for three days and nights after separation; knew that before I came here though, and the same with sheep.

But to a townie expecting utter peace!!!! That can be devastating...

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Well, you could, for instance, start a password-protected local Facebook page where people could post up: "I'll be working with a slurry spreader from 4am tomorrow".

Please god tell me you are joking and/or trolling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Manoffeeling

Interesting thread.

I have lived among farms some 30 years, mostly sheep farms. Give and take is vital, especially as I had critters of my own.

Have helped at shearing times etc etc. Kept an eye on lls sheep etc. Watered them in dry weather and rounded them back in when they got out. Neighbours do that.

When we moved to cattle country two years ago, there were many different aspects to get used to. I did ask a few things here, but got insulted too many times to carry on!!!
    Which is self defeating for the farmers, as it is learning and talking that helps every situation. The deliberately antagonistic suggestions here will exacerbate every situation.

And they were not what I have encountered face to face, thankfully. And were not what I had encountered in previous houses either.

Slurry was one issue; I needed to know eg when etc, as I have allergy problems. My question was not a complaint yet it was taken as such. Puts folk's backs up when that happens.

Now i know to close doors and windows and wear a mask when this is happening and that is fine. NB I live where I do as allergy issues and noise issues are far worse in towns, and here also I have more control and more peace and privacy ....I use the wee small hours well and sleep early as I need to.

it is simply a case of getting used to a situation. Seeing if anything can be changed and if not getting used to it.

Cows in the garden also sorted; an extra fence up.

They belong to our landlord which helped greatly!

It is no use being antagonistic; had the OP been less so with the woman, things might have eased.

You get further with honey than with vinegar.

If anyone speaks to me like that they get as good as they give and more!

Noise issues can indeed he helped by ear plugs, but I worked this out for myslef. I know the farming seasons and rhythms here now. Love watching the teams with the sileage.. who needs TV...

Know too that the cows will be noisy for three days and nights after separation; knew that before I came here though, and the same with sheep.

But to a townie expecting utter peace!!!! That can be devastating...

?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭kerryjack

they should be ban on sites being sold by farmers for at least 10 years there is so many half built projects around the country on my 5 mile stretch into town there is 6 of these houses a sickening sight on any landscape, I know one local farmers son building on his own site and finest field he has, and he would buy 1 of these houses for half the price its going to cost him to build. it makes no sense

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Dont be daft

Slurry was one issue; I needed to know eg when etc, as I have allergy problems. My question was not a complaint yet it was taken as such. Puts folk's backs up when that happens.QUOTE]

Could you expand on this? Never heard of someone being allergic to slurry.

What exactly is it that makes you react to slurry and what does the typical reaction involve?

Are you sure on this, been to the high court and back over a crow banger and won the case thankfully, the bangers were only going during daylight hours though. Judge came to the conclusion that a farmer has a right to protect their crops

Thats an interesting precedent. Was that a reported judgement?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

kerryjack wrote: »
    I know one local farmers son building on his own site and finest field he has, and he would buy 1 of these houses for half the price its going to cost him to build. it makes no sense

Maybe he wants to live on the farm because he will take it over in future. You can find cheap houses in estates or houses with a poor build quality or bad finish at cheap prices at the moment but if want something good with a quality finish and on a good site it is still cheaper to build if you have your own site.

Neighbour going to oz sold his house recently. 2000 square ft. Fully finished with garage, landscaping and tarmac drive. Quality built. Cost 200k to build in 2008 and he just sold it for 230k.

House prices have halved. But try to buy the house you want in the location you want and you'll soon see how much it costs.

Badly built houses are down 75% and quality houses by about 25 %. Balances it all out in the long run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

.they should be a law brought in that you need a herd number to buy a plot of land in this country ,

they should be ban on sites being sold by farmers for at least 10 years

Greetings Komrade kerryjack.

I like your manifesto, put it to the testo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Its not her's either.

Thank you for backing up my point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

Thats an interesting precedent. Was that a reported judgement?

presume so, can I get judgements online?

presume so, can I get judgements online?

The recent higher courts judgements are all put up on courts.ie but if its earlier than 2001 they're in books called the Irish Reports, but thats only if their reported. If their unreported they're harder to find.

Can you PM the case name? Would love to read the judgement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Silvics

I hope when the slurry goes out there will be an extended warm and humid period so she can enjoy the powerful smell of animal waste. That might put manners on the bi*&h.
    The other question I have is, why sell land to non-farmers to build? At this stage of the game we know it only increases the possibility of trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

reilig wrote: »
    Maybe he wants to live on the farm because he will take it over in future. You can find cheap houses in estates or houses with a poor build quality or bad finish at cheap prices at the moment but if want something good with a quality finish and on a good site it is still cheaper to build if you have your own site.

Neighbour going to oz sold his house recently. 2000 square ft. Fully finished with garage, landscaping and tarmac drive. Quality built. Cost 200k to build in 2008 and he just sold it for 230k.

House prices have halved. But try to buy the house you want in the location you want and you'll soon see how much it costs.

Badly built houses are down 75% and quality houses by about 25 %. Balances it all out in the long run.

That was a lucky strike by your neighbour.
    I just happened to read the Daft report on house prices and price trends 2012 by county. The following is what they reported for Leitrim. Copy and paste. I happened to be asked by an American contact, to do a bit of leg work for him to find a house for him to buy. I can tell you that in a good number of different locations an offer of €180k, gets sellers if significant properties very interested:o
    Even in leafy south Dublin city areas, €230k gets very good property!

Leitrim

[FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro]Average price: [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro]€118,052 [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro]Year-on-year change: [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro]-20.5% [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro]Quarter-on-quarter change: [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro]3.1% [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro]Change from peak: [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro]-54.4% [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro][/FONT][/FONT]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭kerryjack

It must be in a good spot, you can have you pick of them around here for 130k, A lot of small builders started buying sites and building 1 of housing on them sounded like a good idea at the time, now they are just sitting there, an eye sore it would be nice to see local people moving in to them , as the devil you know and all that , We have some dodgy feckers living not too far away from us . Scumbags from a city that i wont name being dumped off in rural Ireland lovely Neighbours to have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

It's an odd idea, all the same, that only farmers should live in the countryside.

With so many people now working from home using the internet, there's no reason why all non-farmers should be warehoused in cities.

I live in a town away from my farm. Imagine that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

I live in a town away from my farm. Imagine that.

Exackally. No reason why there should be mutual apartheid!

• Advertisement

Exackally. No reason why there should be mutual apartheid!

And I meet people from other countries and cultures on a daily basis. Imagine the shock if I hired a someone from Tanzania or England to help me on the farm. Non farming and non Irish!

BeeDI wrote: »
    That was a lucky strike by your neighbour.
    I just happened to read the Daft report on house prices and price trends 2012 by county. The following is what they reported for Leitrim. Copy and paste. I happened to be asked by an American contact, to do a bit of leg work for him to find a house for him to buy. I can tell you that in a good number of different locations an offer of €180k, gets sellers if significant properties very interested:o
    Even in leafy south Dublin city areas, €230k gets very good property!

Leitrim

[FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro]Average price: [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro]€118,052 [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro]Year-on-year change: [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro]-20.5% [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro]Quarter-on-quarter change: [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro]3.1% [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro]Change from peak: [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro]-54.4% [/FONT][/FONT]
    [FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro][FONT=Myriad Pro,Myriad Pro][/FONT][/FONT]

Have you been to Leitrim?

Most of the villages and towns have been blighted with apartments and housing estates that will never been lived in. They were poorly built. Many that were selling for €220k in the boom can be bought off the banks now for €50k.

But its a different story if you go out into the country. A proper, concrete built house, on a 1 acre site, high spec insulation, landscaped, drive way done, garage built, well finished inside - not just a cheap ass laminated kitchen and €49 pine doors. Properly finished.

Try looking for one on daft that has no work left to do on it. You'll pay for it.

There are huge variances between properties. If you want something well built in a good location, you'll pay the cost price for it.
    I have been helping a friend search for a house in Galway for the last few weeks - its the same story there. What some property developers built and sold as high spec properties in the past is quite simply a laugh. people were greedy and careless and just bought a property on the basis that it was standing up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

And I meet people from other countries and cultures on a daily basis. Imagine the shock if I hired a someone from Tanzania or England to help me on the farm. Non farming and non Irish!
    i bet ya they would work harder than alot of "irish" people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Cost 200k to build in 2008 and he just sold it for 230k.

Has it marble skirting boards or did he throw in the wife aswell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

Thank you for backing up my point.

no problem :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Where I live, you'd be very lucky to get a house for under 300K still. A lot of them "advertised" for near the million mark during the boom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

It all depends on where your based. house prices are still well below construction costs, bearing in mind the saving on labour has been completly absorbed on material costs. You still get crazy asking prices but they are not moving. A supposedly upper market estate beside me which sold the first houses at 1.7million are now selling for 330k. The house we bought has dropped from 315 to currently selling at 100-110. I definately couldnt build it for it.

1chippy wrote: »
    It all depends on where your based. house prices are still well below construction costs, bearing in mind the saving on labour has been completly absorbed on material costs. You still get crazy asking prices but they are not moving. A supposedly upper market estate beside me which sold the first houses at 1.7million are now selling for 330k. The house we bought has dropped from 315 to currently selling at 100-110. I definately couldnt build it for it.

Are the houses fully finished? ie. Tiled, wooden floors, carpets, kitchen etc or just a builder's finished?

You'd be amazed what size of a house you could put to a builder's finish for €110k if you didn't have to buy the site. In 2008, we definitely had our house (2000 sq ft) to a builder's finish + the Garage for €100k. Its the painting, the floors, the fixtures and fittings, the furniture, the electrical products, the kitchen, the stove etc that cost almost as much as the house itself.

Advertisement