Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can't rename or delete files...[Update]

• 22-07-2012 10:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have a folder of TV episodes on a NAS that I want to delete as they are duplicates but the ownership/permissions issues are stopping me.

I've ran a few chown and rm commands in Terminal, and so far I am able to rename the folder...but the files still remain locked.

When I try to delete them it asks for my admin password, but when this is entered it tells me I don't have permission.

Terminal indicates the files are in my admin name: group staff. Under the Get Info pane the sharing and permissions says "You have custom access".

The files were created by me, so I can't understand why its acting up.

Anyone have any advice on how to fix this?

Thanks,
    Stu.

[Solved]

Ok the problem turned out to be permission conflicts between content loaded under different IDs (SMB and NFS). While connected under SMB it wouldn't allow me 'write' any files that had been loaded under the NFS mount.

The solution was pretty simple, I feel daft!.
    I just had to disable security on the NAS and activate again under new details. Apparently deactivating security resets permissions etc. so all is working again.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I've had similar once or twice. What I did was reset the permissions on the NAS control panel. Then restarted the NAS and the Mac. I was able to delete or move them afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

Does your NAS not support AFP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 86 ✭✭damojag

Try and delete it three or four times, sometimes this happens to me with my NAS. Otherwise go to Disk Utility and repair permissions

Advertisement