Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Diabetes - Or is it?

• 22-07-2012 10:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭

Is it possible that a dog with seemingly high blood sugar levels is not actually diabetic but rather in a state of hypo due to insulin?

I'll try and keep this next bit sort, though I do have to warn you that I've managed to spin it into a whole complex story!! My dog's blood sugar is crazy high and not lowering despite her insulin and new diet (Royal Canin Diabetic Special). I understand that this is a process but her second lowest sugar level (excluding a hypo of 2.6) was the day she was actually diagnosed. Since then her levels have, at times, been more than double the first level taken. I'm starting to think that the insulin is causing her to spike and that it make be something else responsible for the initial level of 15.

I can't explain the ketones that were in her urine though, so I fully accept this gaping hole in my thinking! If I'm mad please tell me... I'm think enough skinned but going out of my mind with how my poor dog is waining. She's having a curve done this week and instead of 2 hours testing I was going to ask the vet to do 30 minute levels as if my "notion" is right I think we could catch the hypo happening.

I will be talking to her vet about it but was hoping that someone here might be able to offer advice/opinion, or tell me I'm mad :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭mags16

Hi there, my dog has also been recently diagnosed with diabetes. Luckily she got regulated very quickly with a regimented routine of feeding, injecting and walking.

The high ketones and blood sugar are telltale signs of diabetes. Are you following a routine, feeding every 12 hours followed by the jab? Is you dog eating between meals? Perhaps your vet is starting low and will gradually increase insulin until the right level is achieved. I am told that every change in dose needs to be left for 5 days for the body to adjust.

Have you asked your vet about cushings disease?

If you Google k9diabetes, there is a forum which gave me great advice. I learned alot from it.

Advertisement