Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Picture taken

• 22-07-2012 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 48

If someone takes a picture in the dark to report a crime can the gardai identify someone from that photo?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Who took your picture OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Depends on whether or not you had the flash on I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

they've yet to catch me; be grand op.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

LordSmeg wrote: »
    Depends on whether or not you had the flash on I'd say.

Perhaps that is the crime the OP is worried about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Perhaps that is the crime the OP is worried about.

Exposing your "little friend" to the laker girls again OP ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

If they had night vision, your screwed!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 chicken_little

Pdfile is reassuring anyway :P seems incredible but a friend asked last night and i was interested to know if theres like a massive photo file for this? Or do the gardai not have the technology etc

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

your average photographer probably has software similar to what the gardai would be using.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 chicken_little

your average photographer probably has software similar to what the gardai would be using.
    . So magic face recogniton software like spy movies is a no-no here so! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

If someone takes a picture in the dark to report a crime can the gardai identify someone from that photo?

I'm sure they can as long as the person they are looking for is in the photo

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if the photo was taken in the dark with no flash, it might not make a difference; the focus might not have locked due to low light, and the shutter speed would be long, possibly long enough to blur the face.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Depends on distance, film iso, resolution and other factors.
    Not a simple question just to say yes or no to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭cade

This sounds very like one of those 'If a Tree falls in the woods and no one is around to hear it...' philosophical questions. What state of inner zen are you expecting to reach by pondering the question OP? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Have you seen CSI? They can enhance a pure black photo and see the reg of a car from a mile away! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

I imagine the guards recognise repeat offenders by sight.
    But as others mentioned, at nighttime without a flash, a camera needs a longer exposure to take a picture which means more blurring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭Corkbah

I imagine the guards recognise repeat offenders by sight.
    But as others mentioned, at nighttime without a flash, a camera needs a longer exposure to take a picture which means more blurring.

(nerd hat on) or needs a high ISO (stills camera) or night vision mode (video) .... a high ISO/Night Vision mode would not require a long exposure as they are designed to capture images in low-light situations.

in order to answer we need the make/model of the camera and actual luminocity of the area (how dark it actually was) - and we can calculate the required shutter speed/ISO ratio required to expose a still subject and/or a subject moving at a rate of 1m/sec or different speeds.(/nerd hat off)

Blasht 'em with p*ssssss !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭MagicRon

. So magic face recogniton software like spy movies is a no-no here so! :P

Facebook is picking out faces in photos these days

Advertisement