Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tea brack

Options
  • 22-07-2012 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

hi,

would any one have a recommendation for a tea brack / fruit loaf type of cake. I made the one from the Odlums website and wasn't too go gone on it tbh, so would like to get a recipe some one has found good.

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

I've made the following recipe before, and thought it was lovely. I don't know where I got the recipe, just have it written on a piece of paper.

Tea Brack

225g self raising flour
    375g mixed dried fruit
    300ml cold tea
    125g caster sugar
    1 egg
    Pinch mixed spice

Soak fruit in tea overnight
    Add sugar, eggs, flour, mixed spice and mix well
    Put in greased lined 2lb loaf tin
    Bake for 1 hour at Gas 3.

Another great fruit loaf to make is banana bread. I have attached the Darina Allen recipe, which I have made countless times. It's fabulous.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Countdown1982

Tea Brack

This is one that i use, it is lovely and moist. I have also made it with Dunnes ‘Simply better' luxury dried fruitmix, instead of the sultanas.......delicious

Ingredients

330ml Coldstrong tea
    270g Plainflour
    80g Softbrown sugar
    350gSultanas
    1 level teaspoon Bread soda (Bicarbonate of Soda)
    1 level teaspoon Mixed Spice or allspice
    1 heaped teaspoon Grated lemon rind (optional
    1 egg

2lb loaf

Method

Put the sugar, lemon rind and dried fruit ina bowl. Soak in the tea, cover and leave to soak overnight.

The following day, preheat the oven to 350ºF (180ºC/GasMark 4) and grease the loaf tin with a little butter. Beat the egg and mixit thoroughly with the fruit. Sieve the flour, spices and bread soda togetherand stir well into the fruit mixture.

Turn the batter into the tin, place in the oven and bake for 90 minutes.

Allow the brack to cool for about 20 minutes in the tin before turningit out to cool on a wire rack.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭J_A_F_A

That is very similar to the recipe I use which was published in the
    Irish Examiner 8/7/06 by Clodagh McKenna

350g dried fruit
    300 ml cold tea
    230g self raising flour
    120g castor sugar
    1 beaten egg
    pinch mixed spice

Double the recipe does nicely for three 1lb loaf tins...handy for cake sales. It also freezes well. If in a hurry you can soak the fruit with freshly made tea and allow to cool.
    livinsane wrote: »
    I've made the following recipe before, and thought it was lovely. I don't know where I got the recipe, just have it written on a piece of paper.

Tea Brack

225g self raising flour
    375g mixed dried fruit
    300ml cold tea
    125g caster sugar
    1 egg
    Pinch mixed spice

<snip>.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭J_A_F_A

I just had a look at the recipe on the Odlums site and it's virtually identical to the one I use all the time. Did you taste it straight away or wait a few days? It certainly does improve after a few days. Kinda dry and tasteless straight away but moist and with a much better flavor with age. To improve things even more you could replace some of the tea with a shot of brandy / spiced rum /whatever you're having yourself...
    Birdsong wrote: »
    hi,

would any one have a recommendation for a tea brack / fruit loaf type of cake. I made the one from the Odlums website and wasn't too go gone on it tbh, so would like to get a recipe some one has found good.

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Birdsong

Many thanks for all the receipes, will definatly be giving them a shot.

I think you may be right - the loaf was cut the next day. Will give it longer next time

• Advertisement
Advertisement