Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stray female cat and kittens in city centre

• 22-07-2012 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Hi,

there is a stray female cat and two kittens in city centre which im trying to take them away from there . an animal welfare association will take them (only kittens, mum will be spayed and returned) they are asking for kitties to be tested for fiv and felv(kittens are approx 9 weeks old i'd say) they wont pay for this themselves and i heard it might cost a fortune. on top of that there is the cost of getting mum spayed. do vets give a discount for stray cats? i cant take them in as I have a cat myself, live in a tiny place and i cant expose my cat to fleas or potential illnesses. just looking for advice as to what can be done, dont want to leave them there, but my cat is proving to be very costly herself (she comes from a shelter and she has countless health problems). please let me know if you had similar experiences. rung blue cross but they are closed today.
    thank you,

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Hi, you could try on Feral Cat Irelands site, they are brilliant for giving advice on this. Good luck with the cats. Good to see somebody not turning a blind eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 kyra

Hi, you could try on Feral Cat Irelands site, they are brilliant for giving advice on this. Good luck with the cats. Good to see somebody not turning a blind eye.

thank you for your reply.
    i dont know where to keep them until results of tests are back. animal association will only take them once results are back and negative. i cant foster them(feel awful to say this but I need to protect my cat also, she has a horrible allergy to basically everything....she scratches the hell out of her skin and she is constantly on meds. it would be crazy to do this to her) cant keep them in a box as they are too old ..they would escape. no idea of where to find a temporary accomodation. such a difficult situation. they are really in danger, they live near luas tracks and im terrified every day could be their last

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Ive never heard of that before. Why would anyone bother rescuing feral kittens if they'd to pay for a rake load of medical testing beforehand??:confused: OP ill PM you the name of a couple of organisations that might be able to help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Its a new one on me too. Jesus, if everyone who is involved in rescuing stray and feral cats/kittens was spending the money on blood tests for that, there would be no money left to feed them or pay for necessary vet treatment.

Its a new one on me too. Jesus, if everyone who is involved in rescuing stray and feral cats/kittens was spending the money on blood tests for that, there would be no money left to feed them or pay for necessary vet treatment.

I know, i was a bit shocked too. thought i had to pay for mum to be spayed and i am ok with that but these extra tests cost a lot...
    these kittens really need to get out of where they are due to the traffic and the luas tracks...every day they risk their lives.
    if you have any other advice/news please let me know. wont give up until these pets are safe. thank you guys !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angeline

Problem is that if mummy cat is positive for feline aids, if her kitties nursed from her, then they will show up as positive too even if they're not. You're advised to wait a while to get a true reading of the kittens if the mum is positive. I know as I've been doing tonnes of research on feline aids. Really surprised that the animal welfare organisation is expecting you to do that. I've had dealings with animal care organisations and have never ever heard of that.

Mods can you please close this? this is resolved. thanks guys for all your help. you are fantastic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

kyra wrote: »
    Mods can you please close this? this is resolved. thanks guys for all your help. you are fantastic

Well done Kyra the world needs more people like you :)

Advertisement