Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donuts.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

The Kiosk have opened up a full sized shop on Augnier St.
    Haven't been to it yet, might treat myself this weekend. :)

It's called The Rolling Doughnut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

I really don't like that kiosk. Maybe its all those mornings I had to walk past it with a hangover with that smell wafting from it. (Why don't we have a vomit smiley?:D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

O'Connell Street Kiosk is amazing! Best donuts I've ever had.

We need Tim Hortons here. Best coffee / donut place on earth and their breakfasts are amazeballs!

[Quote="[Jackass]";81320349]O'Connell Street Kiosk is amazing! Best donuts I've ever had.

We need Tim Hortons here. Best coffee / donut place on earth and their breakfasts are amazeballs![/Quote]

Are Tim Hortons not in every Spar and garage across the country?

No. But their cardboard cups are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 DCT12

Have to agree its hard to beat the kiosk on O'Connell St.

It hasn't much competiton though...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

[Jackass] wrote: »
    No. But their cardboard cups are.

Yeah their coffee seems like just standard Spar coffee but the donuts are pretty good when you consider the alternative is Cuisine de France. That one with the white icing and sprinkles is one of the best things about my life right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

I really don't understand why everyone loves the Kiosk ones :confused: they're like plastic. I've had the most delicious ones (in Tramore) and they're not good. It's hard to get good ones. Tim Hortons are fairly ok, but only for the chocolate, the donut part itself always seems kind of stale.

I've got a jam doughnut from Lidl today, the feel of it is divine, really soft. I'll let you know my verdict later when I've had it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

ScottSF wrote: »
    Laziness!?!?! Fewer letters to type equals increased keyboard productivity - it's all about saving time and energy :)
    For clarity then, it should be Doh!-nuts.

Not your ornery onager

I went to The Rolling Doughnut today and to be fair, it's not a doughnut shop at all.
    It's a small sandwich place with a few dry, old looking doughnuts on the side. It didn't even look like they had a fryer in there.
    So disappointed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

racso1975 wrote: »
    There used to be dunkin d's in Dublin. 2 actually one on grafton other on o connell st. oh they were good days
    It use to be a treat on paddys day to go to dunkins with my old man after the parade. Fond memories!

The kiosk I'm not mad about. The chocolate they use is kind of crap. I'd love a Dunkins here though, their coffee is actually decent. at least better than a lot of insomnias etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

Hi all,

Keep your eyes peeled for Empire Donuts in Dublin in the next couple of months. Freshly made american style donuts everyday. None of this frozen and thawed business that all the others offer.

Not that I don't appreciate a new doughnut place coming but Kiosk ones are made fresh infront of you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

cson wrote: »
    Kiosk on O'Connell St
    I second the Kiosk on O'Connell Street
    Kizzonian wrote: »
    Have you tried the place on O' Connoll Street?
    [Jackass] wrote: »
    O'Connell Street Kiosk is amazing!
    DCT12 wrote: »
    Have to agree its hard to beat the kiosk on O'Connell St
    That bring back memories of being a poor student in the 1980's. "8 for a pound". Got me through a few weekends. I didn't realise it was still there. :)

ScottSF wrote: »
    Sorry for the confusion. I was referring to Donuts vs. Doughnuts. Words tend to have a simpler spelling in the U.S. like color vs. colour.
    Simpler spelling for simple people! ;)

CianRyan wrote: »
    Not that I don't appreciate a new doughnut place coming but Kiosk ones are made fresh infront of you. :)

It's a different type of Donut. Kiosk donuts are cake donuts. Amazing when fresh. The American type I refer to are yeast raised donuts and are a much more complicated process to make. It's just a matter or preference really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

well to report on my doughnut from Lidl - nomnomnom. I have a new go to place for my doughnut cravings. Even though I ate it probably 12 hours after it was made, it was still quite soft. I'll be looking for the chocolate covered ones next.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

Swampy wrote: »
    Hi all,

Keep your eyes peeled for Empire Donuts in Dublin in the next couple of months. Freshly made american style donuts everyday. None of this frozen and thawed business that all the others offer.

Empire Donuts

Location seems a bit inconvenient but I remain optimistic

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭sinead81

DUNKIN DONUTS!!!!!!! WHEN is it coming back to Ireland??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Talking of Lidl, their frozen cream and jam donuts are amazing. €2 for 6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 560 ✭✭✭andrew241983

superquinn doughnuts.......enough said

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Tasty treats bakery on the Ballyfermot road do amazing jam doughnuts. Fresh, soft, melt in the mouth dough and lashingso of sugar and jam.

Empire donuts looks promising.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

There must have been some overpriced license fee to have a dunkin donuts outlet. Or maybe Dnkin Donuts were losng out by having so few francises here, as their launch was very poor and advertising was almost non-existent. They are the kings of donuts though. They used to sell them in the garage in Baldoyle and I loved them.

The Kiosk in O'Connell street is ok at best. It's not really the same and choice is very limited. The Lidl ones are no bad, but the premium style of donut that the dunkin franchise offered is just not available here. Would love to see a return.

Empire Donuts

Location seems a bit inconvenient but I remain optimistic

That's just the production bakery. There will be distribution in to retail and food service and branded franchise shops in the near future.

Swampy wrote: »
    That's just the production bakery. There will be distribution in to retail and food service and branded franchise shops in the near future.

I'm intrigued by this, wish their website had a little more info (Edit: It's still under construction)

Hi all,

Empire Donuts have a stand at the Dame District Christmas market (beside the stags head) running from yesterday until the 23rd Dec 12 noon to 9pm. Fresh donuts every day.

Yeah their coffee seems like just standard Spar coffee but the donuts are pretty good when you consider the alternative is Cuisine de France. That one with the white icing and sprinkles is one of the best things about my life right now.

I used to live a few doors down from a Tim Hortons in Toronto, every morning I got up I'd get my breakfast in there, they have the most amazing breakfast sandwhices ("English Muffin" - but unlike McDonalds, actually nice sausage and egg) and the smell in the place, all the donuts baked freshly at multiple times during the day, basically get em while they're warm, and the coffee they had was brewed every 15 minutes and thrown out every 15 minutes regardless of if it was bought or not and brewed again (they had white marker on all of the jugs holding the coffee so customers could see what time it was brewed at)...

The place was like fu*king heavan...converted me from a tea drinking Paddy to a coffee nut!

I had to stop going though as I noticed I had grown two massive boobs and a belly and I was basically putting Tims kids through college. Was nice while it lasted though! The stuff they have over here is frnachised, but none of it is half as good as the original. I'd love a Tim-Ho's cafe to set up here!

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭jgh_

Jackass wrote: »

I used to live a few doors down from a Tim Hortons in Toronto, every morning I got up I'd get my breakfast in there, they have the most amazing breakfast sandwhices ("English Muffin" - but unlike McDonalds, actually nice sausage and egg) and the smell in the place, all the donuts baked freshly at multiple times during the day, basically get em while they're warm, and the coffee they had was brewed every 15 minutes and thrown out every 15 minutes regardless of if it was bought or not and brewed again (they had white marker on all of the jugs holding the coffee so customers could see what time it was brewed at)...

The place was like fu*king heavan...converted me from a tea drinking Paddy to a coffee nut!

I had to stop going though as I noticed I had grown two massive boobs and a belly and I was basically putting Tims kids through college. Was nice while it lasted though! The stuff they have over here is frnachised, but none of it is half as good as the original. I'd love a Tim-Ho's cafe to set up here!

Tim Horton's is the business when it comes to doughnuts. American chains can't compete.

You can now order Donuts delivered in Dublin city from Empire Donuts Facebook page There's a shop button. You just order the day before and they are deliverd fresh the next morning.

jgh_ wrote: »

Tim Horton's is the business when it comes to doughnuts. American chains can't compete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Bumpitty bump to report that Empire doughnuts are in Spar on Dame St and they are *quite* good, quite good indeed. I've been obsessing over pictures of doughnuts you just can't get here for so long I may have had 4 this week...

0D9A9A02-3FED-4F98-8E09-60CCFC910F88-4649-000005283FE82F82_zps3514bf2c.jpg

• Advertisement

I've been keeping an eye on Empire Donuts lately. Great to see them setting up, especially at a quick enough pace. They're starting an online shop soon afaik.

Edit: They have a shop on their facebook site. This will test my willpower

Advertisement