Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donuts.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ScottSF

Thanks for sharing. Didn't know Empire Donuts existed. I found this page which says they make them fresh from scratch every day. Hope they come out with a maple one.
    http://www.loveirishfood.ie/brands/empire-donuts/

I was worried that anything you get in a supermarket or convenience store is either previously frozen or made with preservatives to make them last for days (though they often seem fresh). I'll have to give them a try though I hope they start distributing to independent coffee shops around Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭gidget

I've been keeping an eye on Empire Donuts lately. Great to see them setting up, especially at a quick enough pace. They're starting an online shop soon afaik

Actually just discovered these the other day in Spar at the IFSC the other day. Boston Creme filled ones with chocolate topping are just devine :D. They're charging 1.20 for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

gidget wrote: »

Actually just discovered these the other day in Spar at the IFSC the other day. Boston Creme filled ones with chocolate topping are just devine :D. They're charging 1.20 for them.

€1.50 in DCU! Bastards!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

gidget wrote: »

They are Tim Hortons you are referring to I believe. Empire Donuts are better!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Swampy wrote: »
    They are Tim Hortons you are referring to I believe. Empire Donuts are better!!

They could very well be Empire! They do a boston creme and I think that Spar stockthem

• Advertisement

Mr Simpson wrote: »
    They could very well be Empire! They do a boston creme and I think that Spar stockthem
    I know for sure that they are not Empire Donuts. Not yet anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Swampy wrote: »
    I know for sure that they are not Empire Donuts. Not yet anyway.

You're right! That spar doesn't stock themyet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Empire Donuts are in the Spar on Dame Street. Had an Oreo/Vanilla one today. It was alright, but not the taste bomb I was expecting.

They were probably fresh, but the display didn't mention that at all and was really amateurish. Their marketing could do with a lot of work. €1.79, so was pricey.

I may try some more of their flavours though.

Edit: They were definitely Empire too, not one of the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

There are empire donuts in the new spar at parkgate street. charging 1.69 for the filled ones and 1.59 for the ring ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

Crow92 wrote: »
    There are empire donuts in the new spar at parkgate street. charging 1.69 for the filled ones and 1.59 for the ring ones.

I made a trip to try these out over the weekend

Can't say I liked them at all, neither of us did. Tasteless base and the toppings are put on very badly, once you bite into it all the topping fell off each of the ones we had

Not a patch on Tim hortons ones for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

Hammertime wrote: »
    I made a trip to try these out over the weekend

Can't say I liked them at all, neither of us did. Tasteless base and the toppings are put on very badly, once you bite into it all the topping fell off each of the ones we had

Not a patch on Tim hortons ones for me

Have to say, felt the same, topping fell right off, wasn't what I thought they'd be reading the comments here. It was a Sunday though (Are they made fresh sunday mornings too?)

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭PauloConn

I've ordered them off the facebook shop for work a few friday mornings (a little treat for the office) and when they're fresh they are just amazing. No topping issues with them ever and still warm as well. Loved the new coffee (or mocha) flavour, it's lovely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Spar on abbey st at the luas stop has empire. Didn't try them today but will. The cruller style one looked good.

The b box was just sitting on top of a stand of flap jacks, they'll find it hard to compete with cuisine de france without better staging.

Crow92 wrote: »
    Have to say, felt the same, topping fell right off, wasn't what I thought they'd be reading the comments here. It was a Sunday though (Are they made fresh sunday mornings too?)

They only make them fresh monday to saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Had a glazed one on Friday, yum. Have had one with the crumbly fall off topping other folk have mentioned which gave me the temporary grumps but I really, really enjoy Empire donuts. Must sound a bit obsessed but I am Kathy Bates from Misery days when it comes to donuts. Been sitting looking at pictures of them on Tastespotting, grunting & rubbing my thigh in a manner that disturbs people in my house, for the last few years wishing Dublin wasn't so awful for them (I really don't enjoy the frozen cuisine de france/petrol station jobs). Must track down the cruller ones, haven't had a decent cruller since Party Cake on Capel st closed down and abandoned me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Were they the ones criss crossed with white stuff very dense as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Had a boston creme from Empire today. Have to say I'm well impressed. Best I've ever had outside the US and on par with pretty much anything I've had over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

Where can I buy Empire Donuts? Are they actually very good?

Proper donuts are maybe the #1 thing I miss from the States. Had Dunkin Donuts when I was over in Berlin recently, just reminded me how much I'd love to have them here.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Yer Aul One

vektarman wrote: »
    How else would you spell rolo:confused:

Rolough

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Where can I buy Empire Donuts? Are they actually very good?

Proper donuts are maybe the #1 thing I miss from the States. Had Dunkin Donuts when I was over in Berlin recently, just reminded me how much I'd love to have them here.

These guys might be able to tell you https://www.facebook.com/EmpireDonuts/timeline

The only place I think I have seen them on sale is Fresh in Camden Street. They sell them in little individual boxes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

miamee wrote: »
    These guys might be able to tell you https://www.facebook.com/EmpireDonuts/timeline

The only place I think I have seen them on sale is Fresh in Camden Street. They sell them in little individual boxes.

Are they still selling them there? Have you seen them recently? Just wondering because the empire donuts website is down :(

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭yoginindublin

I think they may have closed. No activity in their FB page and website is down. I used to see them in Spar in Barrow Street and Fresh in Grand Canal Dock but they are not there anymore. Does anyone know whats up?

Advertisement