Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Made a watermark..

• 22-07-2012 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

I've just started posting photographs online recently and somebody suggested that I get a watermark to keep them from being stolen. TBH, I would love if somebody used my photographs but I would like if they at least asked first.

I used GIMP 2.6 to make the watermark. I was wondering if you guys had a better free program for watermarking. Also I would like to know what you think of the watermark.

171E371784E84C299D802DA0FFEE4EAA-0000356437-0002938418-00800L-0E91F628373643F3B53B5F2E3C04D7FF.jpg

33CA09F50CCF45C296B4349E77BBF918-0000356437-0002938414-00800L-6A300AABC2524299B083776DD258EF1C.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Looks good. All I do for my watermarks is just automate in photoshop. There's a similar option in lightroom, but I don't know of any free alternatives. Are you putting the watermark on one by one? Once I set the script going I can get through a folder of 200 images in a few minutes, and that includes resizing, saving as jpeg and then watermarking 5pixels in on each side from the bottom right corner of each image. Saves so much time!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 nmccann

Hi Guys, We operate a site selling knitting wool called the wool shop. I am frustrated with competitors stealing our pictures and have spoke on the Joe Duffy show about this.

We are applying a number of defences on the site. However I do not want to put watermarks on the images and their prime task is to sell the product.

We need to change the view of copyright theft as not a real crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭SdoowSirhc

nmccann wrote: »
    Hi Guys, We operate a site selling knitting wool called the wool shop. I am frustrated with competitors stealing our pictures and have spoke on the Joe Duffy show about this.

We are applying a number of defences on the site. However I do not want to put watermarks on the images and their prime task is to sell the product.

Not too much you can do with markings of some kind really. Do you photograph your products on white background? How about you print your logo or name on the background behind the wool? Sorry, I don't know anything about product photography :P

Looks good. All I do for my watermarks is just automate in photoshop. There's a similar option in lightroom, but I don't know of any free alternatives. Are you putting the watermark on one by one? Once I set the script going I can get through a folder of 200 images in a few minutes, and that includes resizing, saving as jpeg and then watermarking 5pixels in on each side from the bottom right corner of each image. Saves so much time!
    I have it saved as a .gbr file with a transparent background and I open it as a layer with each photo! Not too slow but still a real pain!

Include your branding in the pictures, upload the picture in the largest size YOU will use, don't put up full sized ones for people to steal. Run a 5% opacity watermark over the whole image, it's barely visible, and means nobody else will use it. Disabling right clicking on your website is a deterrent for stupid people, in case your competition don't know how to get past this block.
    I heard the show the other day. The misconception that it's copyright infringement and not theft needs to be stamped out. The people are claiming ownership by not giving credit or seeking the use of the image. A great business opportunity for someone would be to set up a website that easily allows people to sell their images for use. If there is one out there the people who own it aren't doing a good job about marketing it.
    SdoowSirhc wrote: »
    I have it saved as a .gbr file with a transparent background and I open it as a layer with each photo! Not too slow but still a real pain!
    Yeah that's what I did with photoshop before I discovered automation, your way isn't too slow but the way I do it means I can walk away while it's doing it :D

• Advertisement

Yeah that's what I did with photoshop before I discovered automation, your way isn't too slow but the way I do it means I can walk away while it's doing it :D

Photoshop would be amazing but I'm really doing photography on an extreme budget, that means no paying for software, no buying more SD cards and no buying tripods or even bags... Wanna sponsor me? :P I hope to get a DSLR in the coming year as well...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

I understand why some people put watermarks on photos but having noted this I really dislike them for a couple of reasons.

Firstly they dont work anyway. If someone want to steal the photo they can just edit it out if they want.

Secondly I think they really devalue a beautiful photo. People spend alot of time trying to achieve excellence in their photos and then plonk a set of text on top of the photograph. It detracts from the photo in all cases and to me this is the most important point.

Both points are perfectly illustrated by the OP photos. A simple black fill in photoshop would take 2 minutes for someone who wants to steal one of the photos. Yet when the person who actually takes the photo puts it on view they put a distracting text on it. They are good photos IMO but ruined by the watermark.

Photoshop would be amazing but I'm really doing photography on an extreme budget, that means no paying for software, no buying more SD cards and no buying tripods or even bags... Wanna sponsor me? :P I hope to get a DSLR in the coming year as well...

I would love to but...................... http://members.ozemail.com.au/~hodsond/dbp.html should help you do it with gimp! :D

I understand why some people put watermarks on photos but having noted this I really dislike them for a couple of reasons.

Firstly they dont work anyway. If someone want to steal the photo they can just edit it out if they want.

Secondly I think they really devalue a beautiful photo. People spend alot of time trying to achieve excellence in their photos and then plonk a set of text on top of the photograph. It detracts from the photo in all cases and to me this is the most important point.

Both points are perfectly illustrated by the OP photos. A simple black fill in photoshop would take 2 minutes for someone who wants to steal one of the photos. Yet when the person who actually takes the photo puts it on view they put a distracting text on it. They are good photos IMO but ruined by the watermark.
    Yes, sadly watermarks of the nature I used are irrelevant really. I don't worry about ruining my photographs though, I did this to just about 20 photographs to see what it would be like but I also kept originals without the marks

• Registered Users Posts: 14 nmccann

In my view the issue is not the watermark its punishing the thieves.

• Advertisement

i watermark all my work that goes on facebook, so basically all the pictures I don't really care about. It means that when a band share an album, everyone sees who took their pictures. But for actual photography (I wanted to put photography in quotes but someone would kill me for it) I agree it is distracting. Product photography is a hard one. People don't care who took the picture, they want to see the product being shown. A white backdrop with the companies logo on it seems to be the best of both worlds for this. People see the product, and if someone takes the picture, it's filled with the owners name, unobtrusively.

It doesn't matter how good your watermark is though. If someone wants the picture enough they will spend the extra couple of hours MAX removing even the largest watermark.

It doesn't matter how good your watermark is though. If someone wants the picture enough they will spend the extra couple of hours MAX removing even the largest watermark.

Yeah, true. I really only wanted one 'cos it looked professional ;) But shhhhhhhh! Don't tell anybody. And I wanted some more traffic to my Pix.ie page so I included that so ye boardies might take a look. So d'ya mind taken a look at it? :P

Yeah, true. I really only wanted one 'cos it looked professional ;) But shhhhhhhh! Don't tell anybody. And I wanted some more traffic to my Pix.ie page so I included that so ye boardies might take a look. So d'ya mind taken a look at it? :P

Stick the link in your signature, you would be surprised how many clicks you get from that too!

Stick the link in your signature, you would be surprised how many clicks you get from that too!
    Wanna enlighten me as to how?

Hover over your username on the top right, click "edit your profile", then click edit signature, then paste in the box

to get the pix.ie widget, go to http://pix.ie/widgets/create then get the code from there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I've just started posting photographs online recently and somebody suggested that I get a watermark to keep them from being stolen.
    Watermarks won't stop your photos from being stolen. There's really very little that will if you put them online.

I think you just have to do a routine search for your work every so often. Use google image search, look at the traffic on your photos to see who's using them where. If the pictures are just being republished by someone saying "look at this cool photo" there's not much of a problem.

I think courts need to start to get tough on copyright issues because at this stage in the game it's obvious people know exactly what their doing when they misuse others pictures. Set up google alerts for your line of business so you know what's going on out there. Maybe get a solicitor to write up a letter that you can send to any offenders you find. If it's a business I'd charge them money and look for damages, I don't think it's good enough that they can take down the image, steel someone else's image and carry on as if nothing happened.

You'd want to be careful restricting your site as well. You don't want to make it a pain to use because most of the ways used to stop people steeling photos have many work arounds.

ScumLord wrote: »
    Watermarks won't stop your photos from being stolen. There's really very little that will if you put them online.

I think you just have to do a routine search for your work every so often. Use google image search, look at the traffic on your photos to see who's using them where. If the pictures are just being republished by someone saying "look at this cool photo" there's not much of a problem.
    I really have no problem with people sharing, I would actually like people to get my work moving around the net. But I don't want people to claim my work as their own, but even a watermark won't do that if somebody is actually trying to steal photographs. Well I haven't ever even tried to make money from taking photographs so using my photographs isn't gonna do any damage.

Light Image Resizer is a great programme that allows you to choose a watermark from your PC (mine is a PNG.), select where you want it (top left, bottom right, centre, etc.) and bulk resize photos/apply watermark.

Takes about 10 seconds to do a million photos* and it works grand. It's what I've been using lately;

883FF7349DDA44AF830CF9D3DC795306-0000333410-0002937806-00800L-D0F0F76518154CE49D45F72E450D9575.jpg

As for the Watermark VS No Watermark debate, as a professional photographer, I know that nobody will ever buy a photograph of a Garda car off me. It's just one of those things that will never, ever happen. My reason for watermarking photos like that, is because I have an interest in the emergency services and, there I say it, actually enjoy photographing their stuff, and through people seeing my name on such photos, I've managed to get in touch with a few people in the services (some of whom I'd almost consider friend at this stage) and I'm usually getting updates on what the different services are up to and such, and getting opportunities to photograph their equipment, which may sound silly, but i enjoy it and appreciate them (the officers of the varying services) contacting me.

I also watermark because with other work (most notably family portraits and to a lesser extent, events) people see the name and if they like the photo/s, they get in touch from that. It also means that, for journalistic stuff, newspapers won't steal the photos, for example (as I've altered my watermark recently, as above, so it takes up more space in the image, but it's opacity is low enough that it doesn't destroy the image, in my opinion).

Putting up stuff without the watermark is fine, if you just want to share you work, but for me personally, I opt to watermark the majority of my stuff these days.

*may be a slight exaggeration

Light Image Resizer is a great programme that allows you to choose a watermark from your PC (mine is a PNG.), select where you want it (top left, bottom right, centre, etc.) and bulk resize photos/apply watermark.

Takes about 10 seconds to do a million photos* and it works grand. It's what I've been using lately;

883FF7349DDA44AF830CF9D3DC795306-0000333410-0002937806-00800L-D0F0F76518154CE49D45F72E450D9575.jpg

As for the Watermark VS No Watermark debate, as a professional photographer, I know that nobody will ever buy a photograph of a Garda car off me. It's just one of those things that will never, ever happen. My reason for watermarking photos like that, is because I have an interest in the emergency services and, there I say it, actually enjoy photographing their stuff, and through people seeing my name on such photos, I've managed to get in touch with a few people in the services (some of whom I'd almost consider friend at this stage) and I'm usually getting updates on what the different services are up to and such, and getting opportunities to photograph their equipment, which may sound silly, but i enjoy it and appreciate them (the officers of the varying services) contacting me.

I also watermark because with other work (most notably family portraits and to a lesser extent, events) people see the name and if they like the photo/s, they get in touch from that. It also means that, for journalistic stuff, newspapers won't steal the photos, for example (as I've altered my watermark recently, as above, so it takes up more space in the image, but it's opacity is low enough that it doesn't destroy the image, in my opinion).

Putting up stuff without the watermark is fine, if you just want to share you work, but for me personally, I opt to watermark the majority of my stuff these days.

*may be a slight exaggeration
    Thanks, is that a free program?
    I get what you mean with the emergency services stuff. Sometimes it's nice to just take time to take photographs of subjects you enjoy yourself, even if others think you're a bit mad because of it.

I enjoy taken "abstract" photographs (probably not the correct term of abstract, maybe "artistic" is a better word) E.g; 24FC7C5F1960465BA3E3783377B76F1F-0000356437-0002938427-00800L-FDB8055BEE2443B2BA5DFC062D5946F1.jpg
    B68E6EFD20B44C3186B8DEE21DDCC954-0000356437-0002937548-00800L-26C8F0AC314E490EB8EE170F5519D678.jpg

I'm not sure if it's free or not actually.. hmm.. I think you've to pay for it, but if you like their facebook page they give you a free serial code..?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

I could remove those watermarks in 3 seconds in photoshop.

You're better off using a watermark like this, albeit more discreet:
    http://www.pacemakerpressintl.com/photo?id=326720

Reoil wrote: »
    I could remove those watermarks in 3 seconds in photoshop.

You're better off using a watermark like this, albeit more discreet:
    http://www.pacemakerpressintl.com/photo?id=326720
    Yeah I know :rolleyes: I don't need one anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

Yeah I know :rolleyes: I don't need one anyway

...sorry? :confused:

Reoil wrote: »
    ...sorry? :confused:
    I got the`whole watermark situation under control :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

All those watermarks ruin the photos though. In my opinion anyway.

ScumLord wrote: »
    All those watermarks ruin the photos though. In my opinion anyway.
    I agree. I'm just keeping a watermarked version of a few pics that I've already done.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

just post low res online, watermarks really ruin photos for me, can't stand them, if people want the photos, they will take them full stop, watermarks are pretty poor deteerents, a wee blurb stating you're legal course of action might put off photo pikies a bit better

Advertisement