Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pure juice and concentrate.

Options
  • 22-07-2012 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,435 ✭✭✭✭

Whats the difference between pure fruit juice and concentrate?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Concentrate is juice that's dehydrated, frozen, shipped, and then defrosted and has water and sugar added to it. Pure juice is juice pretty much straight from the fruit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Faith wrote: »
    Pure juice is juice pretty much straight from the fruit.

And generally pasteurised

• Registered Users Posts: 20,435 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Muchas gracias. I'll stick with the pure drop then.

Faith wrote: »
    Concentrate is juice that's dehydrated, frozen, shipped, and then defrosted and has water and sugar added to it. Pure juice is juice pretty much straight from the fruit.

It doesn't tend to have sugar added. If it is "pure orange juice, from concentrate", it would have no added sugar. Cranberry juice usually has sugar added but is called "cranberry juice drink".

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

kneemos wrote: »
    Whats the difference between pure fruit juice and concentrate?
    Do not just go by the name/term "pure", tesco have several fruit juices maed from concentrate but labelled "pure".

"not from concentrate" is what you want to look for on the labels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,435 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

rubadub wrote: »
    Do not just go by the name/term "pure", tesco have several fruit juices maed from concentrate but labelled "pure".

"not from concentrate" is what you want to look for on the labels.
    From concentrate I've seen quite often.I take it thier obliged to put one or the other on?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

kneemos wrote: »
    From concentrate I've seen quite often.I take it thier obliged to put one or the other on?

They would have to specify yes. As rubadub said if you're after 'pure' juice i.e straight from the fruit (more or less) it should be labelled 'not from concentrate'. That means the juice hasn't been dehydrated, frozen, rehydrated etc. but it will still more than likely have been pasteurised and maybe have ascorbic acid (vitamin C) added. (I think because the pasteurisation process reduces the amount of it).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

aidan24326 wrote: »
    They would have to specify yes. As rubadub said if you're after 'pure' juice i.e straight from the fruit (more or less) it should be labelled 'not from concentrate'. That means the juice hasn't been dehydrated, frozen, rehydrated etc. but it will still more than likely have been pasteurised and maybe have ascorbic acid (vitamin C) added. (I think because the pasteurisation process reduces the amount of it).

And if it's apple juice, the vitamin c prevents browning.

Advertisement