Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charging for free parking in Croke Park area

Options
  • 22-07-2012 2:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭

Can I just ask why are the authorities or nobody doing anything about the fact locals around the Croke Park area charge people to park on public streets? I've witnessed numerous incidents where they direct cars in and then expect to be paid and usually the implication is that you're paying for your vehicle to be 'protected'.

Obviously this isn't the area where the Gardai block off, but its the surrounding areas of Ballybough, Richmond Road and Fairview Strand.

I've seen them do it in front of the Gardai as well so presumably it's a case of turning a blind eye??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You can't get your car in when there's an event on. I've a residents pass so I can get in and out when something is on but i've never seen any of the neighbors charging for parking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Wheels

I mean in the larger surrounding area that the Gardai haven't blocked off. For example all around Ballybough Road, Richmond Road and even Fairview Strand. Just drive around and you'll see them on a match day.

They may not even be locals but they certainly present themselves as such.

Well you are paying for your car to be protected. Not sure what could be done to stop the practice. It could be seen as a worth while service considering some of the areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

'Lock hards' are an old Dublin practice. You're under absolutely no obligation to pay and I've never heard of a car being damaged because the owner just fecked off and walked away.

"Lock Hard, lock hard", anyone driving in Dublin pre-free parking and clamping days will remember these, esp. at night and weekends.

Well you are paying for your car to be protected. Not sure what could be done to stop the practice. It could be seen as a worth while service considering some of the areas.

Rubbish, its making money out of intimidation and nothing more and accepting it only encourages the cycle.

• Advertisement

Never heard of anyone in dublin getting it but I did here of one guy in limerick. He said no and came back and both wing mirrors were gone, it was at a munster match beside thomand park.
    Saying that I was in a truck one day at the crossroads at ballybough and the kids let fly with anything they could pick up at the truck so I wouldn't trust them a whole lot down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pierrot

'Lock hards' are an old Dublin practice. You're under absolutely no obligation to pay and I've never heard of a car being damaged because the owner just fecked off and walked away.

"Lock Hard, lock hard", anyone driving in Dublin pre-free parking and clamping days will remember these, esp. at night and weekends.

Dustin even had a song about that, off the Unplucked album iirc.

Wheels wrote: »
    Rubbish, its making money out of intimidation and nothing more and accepting it only encourages the cycle.

My wing mirrors are about €300 each, if a scumbag looks for €5 to make sure they stay there i'll pay it.

My wing mirrors are about €300 each, if a scumbag looks for €5 to make sure they stay there i'll pay it.

What I'm trying to establish is why has nothing ever been done about it? Surely this is down to the Gardai? Especially when its in specific areas and its always the same people?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

As has been said, you need a residents pass to get within the Croke Park exclusion zone. Tbh, why anyone would bring their car into the City for a match is beyond me; there's a veritable tonne of park and ride options to get to Croke Park.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Racketeers would love to meet you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

What I'm trying to establish is why has nothing ever been done about it? Surely this is down to the Gardai? Especially when its in specific areas and its always the same people?

I imagine they don't do anything about it as the practice has been going on for donkey's years. I'd actually consider seeing a chap with a rolled up Herald directing cars into parking spaces as an integral part of the matchday experience. You get it up around Richmond Park too, and most other places.
    Just ignore them and walk away if you don't fancy paying them. Never heard of any trouble from someone doing this.

I imagine they don't do anything about it as the practice has been going on for donkey's years. I'd actually consider seeing a chap with a rolled up Herald directing cars into parking spaces as an integral part of the matchday experience. You get it up around Richmond Park too, and most other places.
    Just ignore them and walk away if you don't fancy paying them. Never heard of any trouble from someone doing this.

Part of the experience? They use intimidation to get money from people... What an awful experience it would be if they weren't there. And I'm sure they're all paying tax on what they earn each week too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

Also, I think the thread title is a little disingenuous as you've clearly indicated the practice is occurring in the surrounding neighbourhoods and not at Croke Park.

To be honest, if you're parking your car in Ballybough/Summerhill/Richmond/Fairview then surely to god you can't be ignorant of the reputation these places [rightly or wrongly] have. At the owners risk is what I'd say, and if it costs a €5 to mitigate that risk then obviously a lot of people think its worth paying.

I'd imagine the Gardai don't give a ****e because they don't want you bringing your car anywhere near Croke Park in the first place. Its a very Irish thing to want to be able to drive up to the gate of the stadium and park it at the closest spot.

cson wrote: »
    Also, I think the thread title is a little disingenuous as you've clearly indicated the practice is occurring in the surrounding neighbourhoods and not at Croke Park.

To be honest, if you're parking your car in Ballybough/Summerhill/Richmond/Fairview then surely to god you can't be ignorant of the reputation these places [rightly or wrongly] have. At the owners risk is what I'd say, and if it costs a €5 to mitigate that risk then obviously a lot of people think its worth paying.

I'd imagine the Gardai don't give a ****e because they don't want you bringing your car anywhere near Croke Park in the first place. Its a very Irish thing to want to be able to drive up to the gate of the stadium and park it at the closest spot.

Agree about title, and I've changed it. When I meant locals I meant in the areas they're charging.

However, Fairview and Richmond are not usually bad areas and I know a lot of people from the area who have never had an issue. It's just that this crops up on these days because people are exploiting space and idiots that are willing to pay.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I hope nobody actually thinks the kids guiding you into parking spots stay and mind the cars?
    They're more likely to be the ones keying yours if you didn't pay.

As has been pointed out before, no reason for anyone to bring a car within miles of Croke Park when attending a match/event.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Would you ever grow a pair.

Like has been said, you don't have to pay if you don't want to and having lived in the North Strand and seen what happens over and over, the notion that they are intimidating or robbing etc is made up by the usual dopes who sit and worry about what they think to be the case. Go out and live and stop beings such tools.

Intimidation my eye, cop on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Obviously this isn't the area where the Gardai block off, but its the surrounding areas of Ballybough, Richmond Road and Fairview Strand.

The first is a busy main road and other two are very narrow roads
    None of them should be open for parking for non residents on match days and so there is an exclusion zone

No matter if you're coming from North, South, East or West they are plenty of places to park and there are bus and train and luas options

No reason at all to be trying to drive so close to the stadium.
    Not unique to Croke Park, same goes on with GAA grounds around Ireland, an obsession to be as close as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

locals around the Croke Park area charge people to park on public streets?
    They could argue that they are providing a service and the customer may tip if they choose to do so.

The trick is to inform them that you will look after them after the match. They'll hang around and make sure your car is ok. ;) A fiver well spent IMO.
    Wheels wrote:
    I've seen them do it in front of the Gardai as well so presumably it's a case of turning a blind eye??
    It's not a compulsory charge - more of a tip. I can't see what you wish the Gardai to do about it.
    its making money out of intimidation
    I've never found it intimidating. In my experience, most of them will engage in a bit of chat and banter about the match.
    What part of it is illegal?
    They use intimidation to get money from people....
    What sort of intimidation?
    people are exploiting space and idiots that are willing to pay.
    Why are you concerned about "idiots" parting with their money?

Advertisement