Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6870, good for upgrade?

Options
  • 22-07-2012 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

MY current graphics card (gainward GT440) is loud and (very) dusty. I think its time for an upgrade. I'm looking at buying an AMD Radeon HD 6870. Would anyone else recomend it. Is it loud?

The biggest problem I have is the noise. Its a constant whirring when idle, but goes completly mad when I'm playing games. Any advise would be super appreciated. :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

purpleband wrote: »
    MY current graphics card (gainward GT440) is loud and (very) dusty. I think its time for an upgrade. I'm looking at buying an AMD Radeon HD 6870. Would anyone else recomend it. Is it loud?

The biggest problem I have is the noise. Its a constant whirring when idle, but goes completly mad when I'm playing games. Any advise would be super appreciated. :o

first of all: CLEAN IT!!!

then see how it performs. as for 6870, its a great great budget card. i got it in my old pc and it can play any modern game out there on very respectable settings at 1080p. best bargain card out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 purpleband

It was always loud, even when new and 100% dust free. Its just gotten louder.

How would I go about cleaning it? My brother is a computer genius, he recommends compressed air. But when I went to buy it the person behind the counter said I would break my computer doing it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

purpleband wrote: »
    It was always loud, even when new and 100% dust free. Its just gotten louder.

How would I go about cleaning it? My brother is a computer genius, he recommends compressed air. But when I went to buy it the person behind the counter said I would break my computer doing it that way.

The person behind the counter is an idiot...

Just spray some compressed air in the case, through the case fans etc.

I dont want to keep the graphics card. I just want my computer to be a hell of alot more silent. Is there something I can do to my current one to get it to be quiet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Find out where the noise is coming from and replace that fan - simples...

I have a 6870 think its great! It does depend on where you're buying it from and how much it is though? Well not really both just the cost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

I have a 6870 too, it's a great card. However, if noise is a consideration, don't get the XFX one, it sounds like a hoover :/

I have a 6870 too, it's a great card. However, if noise is a consideration, don't get the XFX one, it sounds like a hoover :/
    Thanks a million for the advice, I'll keep that in mind!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

I have a sapphire 6870 and its quite enough. There is an audible hum when the card warms up, but its not bad.

Advertisement