Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best small engine car 1.0-1.4

• 22-07-2012 2:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Aquila wrote: »
    Heres a question whats the best small engine car that is cheap to tax and insure,easy to maintain,delivers a decent MPG for small to average commute roughly 40 km per day and also a run around.
    Answers on a postcard please:pac:

Ford Focus 1.4 Petrol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Is there much motorway type driving involved with that commute? A 1.0 might not be the best choice for that.

Off the top of my head, I'd say a FIAT Panda might be a good option.
    Ford Focus 1.4 Petrol

Has it improved since the earlier days? Because the earlier ones were a bit like the 1.4 Golf - overpriced for what you get, and a pretty sluggish engine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Toyota Aygo or Skoda Fabia 1.2(TSI)?

I wouldn't go for a Focus 1.4 anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Eoin wrote: »
    Is there much motorway type driving involved with that commute? A 1.0 might not be the best choice for that.

Off the top of my head, I'd say a FIAT Panda might be a good option.

Has it improved since the earlier days? Because the earlier ones were a bit like the 1.4 Golf - overpriced for what you get, and a pretty sluggish engine.
    The new focus with the 1.4 engine is a car which is too heavy for that size engine you will find yourself pressing the accelerator a lot more and burning more petrol, the old mk1 focus was light enough to have a 1.4 engine.

If considering the focus i would be looking at 1.6

The new focus with the 1.4 engine is a car which is too heavy for that size engine you will find yourself pressing the accelerator a lot more and burning more petrol, the old mk1 focus was light enough to have a 1.4 engine.

The original one wasn't great as it was!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Diar

ford Fiesta 1.4
    its too small for a Focus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Octavia (motorway reliable)

Astra (as above, but very plastic)

Brava (light, cheap, will not have to fix it again tomorrow until 1st nct is gone)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 759 ✭✭✭ltdslipdiff

I'd go with a 1.33 Civic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

The original one wasn't great as it was!
    Ah i own a 2001 1.4 focus for the last 4 1/2 years , never put a foot wrong besides from needing to get a coil pack.

Dont get me wrong a small bit more power would be nice, but i have never been caught out overtaking or anything etc. And shes light enough on the petrol as long as you dont have a heavy foot :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

• Advertisement

Ah i own a 2001 1.4 focus for the last 4 1/2 years , never put a foot wrong besides from needing to get a coil pack.

Dont get me wrong a small bit more power would be nice, but i have never been caught out overtaking or anything etc. And shes light enough on the petrol as long as you dont have a heavy foot :D

Sorry, I didn't mean it was a bad car - just that it's a little sluggish. And as the focus tends to have quite strong residuals, it might not offer the best value for money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Sorry, I didn't mean it was a bad car - just that it's a little sluggish. And as the focus tends to have quite strong residuals, it might not offer the best value for money.

Very few car have strong residual values. Worth having a look on the websites and see what fits your budget, draw up a short list of cars you like and revert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Panda 100hp

Hyundai i30 1.4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Panda 100hp

Hyundai i30 1.4
    agree if can afford,but why waste 7k on a car with a blender motor in it specially the likes of aygo or mazda2 where you would get killed instantly in a car crash and stuck in plastic box?Theres plenty of corollas or hondas going for half the cash or less and plenty of life in them, or add few grand and buy brand new clio if you're after the number plates :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭kirving

scamalert wrote: »
    agree if can afford,but why waste 7k on a car with a blender motor in it specially the likes of aygo or mazda2 where you would get killed instantly in a car crash and stuck in plastic box?Theres plenty of corollas or hondas going for half the cash or less and plenty of life in them, or add few grand and buy brand new clio if you're after the number plates :confused:

A 100hp Panda is hardly a blender motor. A Mazda 2 is a 5 star car too. Results will be skewed somewhat depending on what you hit, but not bad for a small car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭geneyuss

Ford Focus 1.4 Petrol
    a complete ball of dirt, probably the most troublesome car of its class out there, my sister had one and it would be easier for me to list what didnt go wrong with it
    stick with the Yaris or the Micra op if its a cheap, reliable runabout you're after, no need to go as high as 1.4 for what you need either, 20-30 km per day on a motorway ( would it be even 20 minutes ?? ) is nothing to any of these cars, and contrary to popular belief , if you do crash at 75mph, it wont matter what you are driving tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Fiesta 1.25 or Mazda 2 1.25, almost as powerful as the 1.4 (which only has 5 bhp more), lively for the engine size, great to drive, comfortable, economical and reliable. What more do you want:)?

Try and get one with ABS though - not all are fitted with it (the Mazda didn't get it until 2005).

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭haribos

Toyota Auris without a doubt, you could pick a 1.4 petrol for your budget and desired year no problem, spend either a little more or go for a year older and you could get the 1.4 D4D Auris, this is diesel, extremely economical to run, miser on juice, long service intervals, decreased revs of a diesel engine also make them more reliable, plus they come nicely fitted out and don't look too bad either!

Toyota Auris 1.4D4D all the Way:D

haribos wrote: »
    Toyota Auris without a doubt

:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Toyota Auris without a doubt, you could pick a 1.4 petrol for your budget and desired year no problem, spend either a little more or go for a year older and you could get the 1.4 D4D Auris, this is diesel, extremely economical to run, miser on juice, long service intervals, decreased revs of a diesel engine also make them more reliable, plus they come nicely fitted out and don't look too bad either!

Toyota Auris 1.4D4D all the Way:D

There is so much wrong with this post it's hard to know where to start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Some thing like this Mazda 2

€156 Road Tax

Over 50 MPG

"The Mazda 2 holds onto its value better than most other small cars." (Parkers.co.uk)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

SEAT Ibiza is a very nice car for the money, 1.4 100bhp here.

I stand by it:D

Most people only want reliability, and a cheap car to run, both of which you get with the auris, any fault that can be found is only by overly critical motoring journalist who will try to convince people is has poor ride or handling. In reality most of the public hop in a car, check the interior size, size of boot, tax and insurance cost, and check up on the perceived reliability and servicing costs and intervals. Auris is a good big solid reliably, economical car.
    I don't even drive one I swear :D

i cant see what either, care to elaborate ??:confused:

geneyuss wrote: »
    i cant see what either, care to elaborate ??:confused:

Waiting for a complaint about Diesel engines I suspect

The auris is below par in a number of areas, hence the disbelief

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

I put 100,000 km on a 2005 lancer 1.3 which I bought with 90,000km the clock. Apart from the standard service and a timing belt it never saw the garage, fuel economy is okish 35 mpg plus, and they can be picked up for peanuts. It's certainly not an exciting car to drive and is underpowered especially for overtaking but i found it to be a decent a to b car with great reliability. Only sold it because I needed something bigger.

The much nicer 1.5 model from 2008 on should be within your budget

Would you consider elaborating? Perhaps state the main area it is below power:)
    In no way am i trying to bait an all out car fight here !!

• Advertisement

its an ideal car for the ops requirements, care to explain to us why you think it is not, in any area? :cool:

Its quiet a nice looking car, has a range of engines to choose from,roomy, has all mod cons , reliable, cheap tax and insurance (depending on the driver) , and best of all,, Its a Toyota. What more could you ask for ?,,,for E7500

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭veetwin

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Fiat/500/1.2-LOUN/23113418343826640/advert?channel=CARS&featuredListingClickThru=true

If you're considering a Panda how bout the 500? Much nicer than a Focus if you don't need any space. And definitely superior to an Auris or indeed any other poxy Toyota!

veetwin wrote: »
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Fiat/500/1.2-LOUN/23113418343826640/advert?channel=CARS&featuredListingClickThru=true

If you're considering a Panda how bout the 500? Much nicer than a Focus if you don't need any space. And definitely superior to an Auris or indeed any other poxy Toyota!

Amazing how the time change, People these day actually recommending FIAT's and putting down TOYOTA's !!! :rolleyes:

Would you consider elaborating? Perhaps state the main area it is below power:)
    In no way am i trying to bait an all out car fight here !!

You're grand!

I know these cars better than most, my main gripes would be:

Engine, nothing particularly wrong with the 1.4 petrol, it was great in the older corolla, but the auris is too heavy for it, the exhaust is very very noisy on these, 1.4 diesel 5 speed is dead as a dodo

Gearbox; gear change is very vague and obstructive, it's clunky, you can hear the gearbox linkages moving from 20 feet away,

Interior; dreadful finish, rattly and cheapo seat fabrics

Equipment; there are better equipped little tikes cars than an auris terra, even the Luna models are relatively sparse considering the competition

Styling; meh

Driving; bleh

Just go out and buy a 2003 -2004 Alfa Romeo 147 for 1500euro, sure there Italian and mad reliable:)

veetwin wrote: »

a fiats superior to a Toyota :confused::confused:?

I think sales figures between the two for the last 20 years could tell a different story
    http://http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/3215775

i'd buy this anyday before THAT !

• Advertisement

Colm, My point is everything you have mentioned the common motorist does not care
    about. Gearbox, exhaust, driving.........Meh
    Size, Reliability, Running cost's...........Yeah

So you reckon the auris is reliable and economical? More so than its piers?

For example I reckon a Hyundai i30 would beat an auris on almost any metric

You're grand!

I know these cars better than most, my main gripes would be:

Engine, nothing particularly wrong with the 1.4 petrol, it was great in the older corolla, but the auris is too heavy for it, the exhaust is very very noisy on these, 1.4 diesel 5 speed is dead as a dodo

Gearbox; gear change is very vague and obstructive, it's clunky, you can hear the gearbox linkages moving from 20 feet away,

Interior; dreadful finish, rattly and cheapo seat fabrics

Equipment; there are better equipped little tikes cars than an auris terra, even the Luna models are relatively sparse considering the competition

Styling; meh

Driving; bleh
    well,, the cons on your Fiat are to long to list if these are your grips on buying a used car.
    you watch way to much Top Gear :D

Yes. I go purely on Top Gear.

I've never actually bought or sold fiats or toyotas or Hyundai's, never opened the bonnet of a car actually.

more reliable than the fiat im saying, probably not as economical, for the obvious reason, its a bigger car

yes the Hyundai i30 is a nice looking car,, but not really around long enough to judge yet,,,unless i compare them to past Hyundai's,(as im judging the Auris) in that instance, my opinion on them wouldn't be favourable .

• Advertisement

Yes i would say it is up there, I could never look past a VW Golf if i was looking for a small car but they are very expensive.... Toyota's are boring there is no doubt, but they tick all the important boxes, yeah my Girlfriend has a 1.4 diesel and it gets far better mpg to my car, had it 3 years and its never been to a garage, all it needs is simple things like services and brakes etc, things you could go at yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

well,, the cons on your Fiat are to long to list if these are your grips on buying a used car.
    you watch way to much Top Gear :D

What exactly are the gripes with modern fiats?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

more reliable than the fiat im saying, probably not as economical, for the obvious reason, its a bigger car

yes the Hyundai i30 is a nice looking car,, but not really around long enough to judge yet,,,unless i compare them to past Hyundai's,(as im judging the Auris) in that instance, my opinion on them wouldn't be favourable .

They are around 4 years and there are no horror stories. It's sister car the Kia Ceed is available almost six years and the same applies to that.

a lot of people judge current models on their predecessors, which in both cases here clouds things.
    Doesn't bother me though, let other people pay a premium for humdrum cars.

i30 is out since 07, the ceed since the end of 06. Most are still inside manufacturers warranty.

Yes. I go purely on Top Gear.

I've never actually bought or sold fiats or toyotas or Hyundai's, never opened the bonnet of a car actually.

ha,,, i detect sarcasm :P , well either ways, ive seen many a fiat and hyundais with there bonnets up.
    i just dont think the Auris, or any Toyota is "poxy"

To be honest i did not think of the i30, yeah its a great car, i drove a 1.6 before, found it extremely jumpy, very loud interior noise, and to be honest a little rattly, but extremely reliable yeah,
    I would definitely test drive both.......

a lot of people judge current models on their predecessors, which in both cases here clouds things.
    Doesn't bother me though, let other people pay a premium for humdrum cars.

i30 is out since 07, the ceed since the end of 06. Most are still inside manufacturers warranty.

Never judge on a predecessor, Had a carina E,absolute tank of a thing.....sold it for a 2ltr Avensis.......Oh god pure and utter hassle

To be honest i did not think of the i30, yeah its a great car, i drove a 1.6 before, found it extremely jumpy, very loud interior noise, and to be honest a little rattly, but extremely reliable yeah,
    I would definitely test drive both.......

Dunno much about the 1.6 petrol, drove the 1.4 petrol quite a lot and it's quite quiet, we have a 1.6 crdi in the family, and even on the factory 17 inch wheels it's rattle free even on bad roads. Engine is lovely and quiet when on the move too.

I come from a real Toyota family, we had every generation corolla from the k20 up to the e100 mid 90s model. Then they started to lose their way a bit so we defected to mazdas.
    Where I lived, every neighbour bar one (who was through and through ford) had at least one Toyota, now just one Toyota left, replaced by Hyundai, Mazda, skoda, Mitsubishi (ford guy still has ford)

What exactly are the gripes with modern fiats?

the 500 in particular looks like a childs toy, according to some reviews it feels cheap, clunky and badly made, a mini cooper would be a way better buy if that's your kinda car,

i would suggest the Skoda Fabia as a possibility to the OP also

To be honest i cant get excited about any of these cars, they're all fairly boring in my opinion.....small family cars or hot hatches whatever they're called these days are all in and around the same... Nothing amazing has come out in years, bought a Vw Scirocco there in 2010, think its still maybe the best looking hatch back, but too expensive

• Advertisement
Advertisement