Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will these smart tvs work in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

ya they will work as a normal tv but if you want access to all the smart features you need to connect it to the internet via a ethernet cable usually or with some brands you can buy a wifi adaptor

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Fiddlex

ya they will work as a normal tv but if you want access to all the smart features you need to connect it to the internet via a ethernet cable usually or with some brands you can buy a wifi adaptor

Ok thank you for the fast reply, I have a spare powerline Ethernet adapter that I can try with it. If it doesn't work I'll buy a dongle

Thanks for the fast reply!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

I have a samsung tv, using an ethernet will work fine. The "smart features" are crap and I never use them, the only good thing is the tv plays movies from my network drive via the ethernet.

Doylers wrote: »
    I have a samsung tv, using an ethernet will work fine. The "smart features" are crap and I never use them, the only good thing is the tv plays movies from my network drive via the ethernet.

Yeah I would like to set mine up in a similar way thanks for letting me know you can! Smart features seem more of a novelty I just really like the look of the tv :P

Fiddlex wrote: »
    Yeah I would like to set mine up in a similar way thanks for letting me know you can! Smart features seem more of a novelty I just really like the look of the tv :P
    All i will say to you is make sure the savings are worth it, cause buying a tv off pixmania is fine, but if you run into issues with it you may have hassle sorting it and may end up dealing with the manufactuer yourself.

Whereas buying from a reputable retailer you can deal with them. Just make sure the savings are worth it, like that samsung tv is only 560 in currys so any irish retailer will be that price or lower, by the time pixmania adds the shipping are you saving anything?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

No worries, also did you check out direct tvs(http://www.directtvs.co.uk) there a uk site. Got mine off it, was about €300 cheaper then anything I could find around

All i will say to you is make sure the savings are worth it, cause buying a tv off pixmania is fine, but if you run into issues with it you may have hassle sorting it and may end up dealing with the manufactuer yourself.

Whereas buying from a reputable retailer you can deal with them. Just make sure the savings are worth it, like that samsung tv is only 560 in currys so any irish retailer will be that price or lower, by the time pixmania adds the shipping are you saving anything?

I saw that Currys and Harvey Normans sell them but from pixmania I was getting the tv,wall bracket and delivery for 548euros when I used their discount code. I may buy from Currys but really I have order so much online, including my pc parts and it's never been that much of a hassle

I saw that Currys and Harvey Normans sell them but from pixmania I was getting the tv,wall bracket and delivery for 548euros when I used their discount code. I may buy from Currys but really I have order so much online, including my pc parts and it's never been that much of a hassle
    Im in the same boat, i order stuff online all the time.

But generally not large items such as tvs, because the current generation of tvs really are in a race to the bottom costs wise, issues ranging from bad capicators to image issues are surprisingly common.

I only bought a tv last month and i bought a sony from a local retailer , i will tell you why , i know the retailer personally and their price was within 10% of the best online price and the sonys at the moment are coming with a 5 year full warranty. Most other brands come with a 1 year warranty!!

1 year is nothing, and you are in for a fight if you want them to sort anything after this period.

Im in the same boat, i order stuff online all the time.

But generally not large items such as tvs, because the current generation of tvs really are in a race to the bottom costs wise, issues ranging from bad capicators to image issues are surprisingly common.

I only bought a tv last month and i bought a sony from a local retailer , i will tell you why , i know the retailer personally and their price was within 10% of the best online price and the sonys at the moment are coming with a 5 year full warranty. Most other brands come with a 1 year warranty!!

1 year is nothing, and you are in for a fight if you want them to sort anything after this period.

From your advice I went to my local Harvey Normans and got the d6100s smart and 3d Samsung tv 32" for 489 down from 649 so I am very happy!

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭bazpaul1

I'm a little confused, does a Smart TV read a networked drive over wireless???

So it an play movies and music from the drive?

Now, with all the new codecs coming out for movies how is the buyer certain that in 2 years the Smart TV can still play the latest .mkv2014 filetype (or whatever)

I'm totally paranoid when it comes to this things? How do you update a smart tv?

Is it not simpler to connet a normal (cheaper) HD TV to a computer and play directly???

• Advertisement
Advertisement