Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Destruction of clothing due to mould/ Sewage issue

Options
  • 22-07-2012 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hey everyone,

Having a little problem with our rented accommodation. I returned from a visit home and discovered that mould had grown on the door of my open wardrobe. On further examination, I found that the majority, if not all, of the clothes contained within said wardrobe were covered in mould to some degree.

I don't quite know what to do about this as it's pretty much all my clothes... We've had issues with mould before in the house and the agency that manages the property sent someone out to clean it away. Tbh, it was a pretty half arsed job, but we did the rest ourselves. We've done everything we can to try and make sure the mould doesn't come back... but it kept returning anyway. We were pretty much told it was our fault... The lease is up at the end of august so this is pretty terrible timing...

So I was wondering:

1) Is there any way to salvage the clothes? (Some are obviously completely destroyed.)

2) Of the clothes that can not be salvaged, are the agency/LL liable at all?

Also, ever since we first moved in, we've had issues with the sewage overflowing from the grate at the front of the house. The agency sent various people out to clear the blockages and advised us to not put facial wipes etc. down the toilet (which we never anyway), and not to use 4 ply toilet roll (again, never happened). This kept happening at least once a month for about 5 months. Each time, we asked the plumbers to tell us what to do and where the problem was. They all hypothesised different things and we tried them all.

I firmly believed that the issue was with the main pipe running at the front of the house (which most of the plumbers dismissed), but I finally convinced one of them to lift the manhole cover. Lo and behold, the problem became clear. The main pipe is incredibly small and has all other piping running to it as well as the sewage. The toilet paper would come out of the pipe and get wedged against the wall of the main pipe due to the tightness of the space and that's where the back-up would occur.. The plumber said that the pipes have needed to be replaced for years but the LL mustn't have bothered. The agency had complained to us that sending out the plumbers on such a regular basis was costing to much money, but we didn't know what else could have been done..

1) Will this have any effect on reclaiming out deposit? Should it?

Any help would be appreciated. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Hey everyone,

Having a little problem with our rented accommodation. I returned from a visit home and discovered that mould had grown on the door of my open wardrobe. On further examination, I found that the majority, if not all, of the clothes contained within said wardrobe were covered in mould to some degree.

I don't quite know what to do about this as it's pretty much all my clothes... We've had issues with mould before in the house and the agency that manages the property sent someone out to clean it away. Tbh, it was a pretty half arsed job, but we did the rest ourselves. We've done everything we can to try and make sure the mould doesn't come back... but it kept returning anyway. We were pretty much told it was our fault... The lease is up at the end of august so this is pretty terrible timing...

So I was wondering:

1) Is there any way to salvage the clothes? (Some are obviously completely destroyed.)

2) Of the clothes that can not be salvaged, are the agency/LL liable at all?

Also, ever since we first moved in, we've had issues with the sewage overflowing from the grate at the front of the house. The agency sent various people out to clear the blockages and advised us to not put facial wipes etc. down the toilet (which we never anyway), and not to use 4 ply toilet roll (again, never happened). This kept happening at least once a month for about 5 months. Each time, we asked the plumbers to tell us what to do and where the problem was. They all hypothesised different things and we tried them all.

I firmly believed that the issue was with the main pipe running at the front of the house (which most of the plumbers dismissed), but I finally convinced one of them to lift the manhole cover. Lo and behold, the problem became clear. The main pipe is incredibly small and has all other piping running to it as well as the sewage. The toilet paper would come out of the pipe and get wedged against the wall of the main pipe due to the tightness of the space and that's where the back-up would occur.. The plumber said that the pipes have needed to be replaced for years but the LL mustn't have bothered. The agency had complained to us that sending out the plumbers on such a regular basis was costing to much money, but we didn't know what else could have been done..

1) Will this have any effect on reclaiming out deposit? Should it?

Any help would be appreciated. :)

The sewage problem needs ot be reported to the Health folk. They can sort the ll out on that.

Ignore the agents; not your fault, so they are just trying it on. Just keep on at them.

And as you reported the mould issue, make a claim. Again, not your fault.

Seems these folk will get away with whatever they can so you have to be firm and objective on that. Assuming that you have written records and photos?

Why should this affect your deposit? You have not caused damage.

Maybe a very good idea to call Threshold as they are very used to this kind of thing, sadly , and will advise you. See their website for contact numbers.

Advertisement