Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UPC and customer loyalty

• 22-07-2012 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

Hello,
    Recently I got the letter from UPC about my bill going up by a few cent and that if i dont pay via direct debit i have to pay extra. Then at the bottom of the letter i was told of the "additional channels" i was getting for the money i pay ( rte+1 doesnt count as new, Dail TV is free on rte.ie and I used to have all the ITV's until one night they just vanished ).

Basically im not happy with UPC, but SKY are still a bit to expensive, I have heard that if i ring up and mention "customer loyalty" i may get a discount ( i have been with them for 10+ year, 100% bills paid well ahead of time ).
    If i ring it, whats the best approach to seek a discount? Anyone have any experience of this?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭Hugh Cream

Sky is less than €20 dearer than UPC, take into account how much better it is and you can see why it's a tiny bit more expensive.
    Get rid of UPC and go with sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 xzara61

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=69982014

better the devil you know tbh after reading this thread me thinks i'll stay with upc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

Ring them up and say Sky are giving you a better deal and you want to leave.
    Depending on what package you have you should be loking at 15-20% at least.
    After numeous phone calls I now get free HD 2 months free broadband and €5 each off both Broadband and TV. Saving about 30%

Hugh Cream wrote: »
    Sky is less than €20 dearer than UPC, take into account how much better it is and you can see why it's a tiny bit more expensive.
    Get rid of UPC and go with sky.

Sky Multiroom needs phone cable etc. For what I want if I moved to sky I would be paying almost double. Yes I get more HD channels and yes I get more pointless channels but for BB and TV its a brilliant deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

I rang up and.told them I wouldnt be paying dd anymore and they were very supportive and they gave me a upc card that I could use to pay at the post office

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭defike

I wanted On demand TV which is supposed to be free but when I rang UPC she said my box couldn't do it and I wonld have to pay for an updated box.
    I said I would leave and she said that is a choice I would have to make for myself. I'm now on FTA and will sign up for Netflicks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

defike wrote: »
    I wanted On demand TV which is supposed to be free but when I rang UPC she said my box couldn't do it and I wonld have to pay for an updated box.
    I said I would leave and she said that is a choice I would have to make for myself. I'm now on FTA and will sign up for Netflicks.

Should have just rang them and stated your UPC box isn't functioning properly. They would of sent out an engineer and replaced it for free to the latest box :D(onDemand Capable)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 222 ✭✭defike

Rang today to cancel(takes 30 days) so the guy promised me everything.
    Free box discount on bill etc.
    Too late they called my bluff and now i'm done with them(in 30 days time)

So you werent bluffing or you were? Im confused...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭zg3409

Don't worry they will ring you back 4 or 5 times in the next 30 days. Then will also ring you back after the 30 days. However on day 30 the digital channels will be gone, but the 17 analogue channels take longer to cut off as they need to send someone out to your house and they are not keen to do that as lots of people change their mind once channels go. So they leave the physical disconnection for a little longer, sometimes years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

lee3155 wrote: »
    Should have just rang them and stated your UPC box isn't functioning properly. They would of sent out an engineer and replaced it for free to the latest box :D(onDemand Capable)

Strangely enough I had to ring them last week to tell them that my record/rewinf function was gone, I couldn't watch any previously recorded content, and everytime I switch channels the sound fails.

Getting a new box this week, will check what sort of box the new one is. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Enigma IE

I have had horrendous experiences with Sky over the years. They are the most arrogant, unhelpful, condescending shower of pr1cks I have ever dealt with. This is commonplace.

I've had UPC TV and broadband service for the last 3/4 years. The service is fine, had very few issues over that time. It's not as slick as SKY, but I refuse to give SKY any more money.

If your are looking at getting at bringing down your monthly outlay to UPC, as other people hve said, tell them you got a better offer from SKY and see if they can match it. I know a few people who have done the same.

At least with UPC you do not own the equipment. If it breaks, UPC replace it. With SKY, you own the boxes after 12 months. Why the hell would anyone want to 'own' a SKY box.

I just want to pay for a TV service and get what I pay for. You can do that with UPC, not with SKY.

SKY are horrendous, end of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I called this week and told them I wanted to cancel and get Saorview. Got just over 20% off and free HD+.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭kooga

My parents in law contract is expiring in the next month and they are thinking of getting rid of their UPC, they are currently paying $40.50 a month (digital select and multi room). Any heads up as to what offers UPC loyalty are offering to keep customers. Thanks

Advertisement