Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small Gaming PC Build

Options
  • 22-07-2012 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

1. What is your budget? [About 1K]
    2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming] (skyrim, total war etc)
    3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [No]
    4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [1TB Hard Disk]
    5. Do you need a monitor? [No]
    6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [No]
    7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Not bothered, might try it in future but not a priority]
    8. How can you pay? [Bank transfer to hardwareversand seems the way to go]
    9. When are you purchasing? [Now]

Space and noise is a real issue. I was looking at the Alienware x51 but for the same money I was able to spec a system that should perform better (7850 vs GTX 555 etc) and still be very compact.

Here's my current build, with some comments on why I picked what I did:

-Memory: 8GB-Kit Corsair XMS3 PC3-12800U CL9 45,40 [Why: decent 1600 memory (I hope) ]

- CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K Box, LGA1155 215,78 € [Why: no performance diff to an i7 for gaming, 20 euro more that the 3550 so have option of overclocking in future]

- Disk Samsung SSD 830 256GB SATA III Paper Box 204,45 € [Why: good SSD, room for a few games (toss up between this and the crucial M4) ]

- Case / Motherboard / PSU: Shuttle XPC SZ77R5 349,50 € [Why: good quality *small* barebones system, easy to build, 500w PSU, can take mini ITX boards for future upgrade, had a shuttle yonks ago and really liked it ]

- DVD: Sony Optiarc AD-7280S-0B schwarz 18,13 € [Why: why not? :-)]

- Gfx: XFX DD RADEON 7850 860M 2GB D5 2x mDP HDMI 2x DVI 228,90 € [Why: Good perf at 1920x1080, lower voltage, cooler and quieter than bigger cards (I hope)]

Total = €1080 incl delivery

I've been away from PC gaming for a long while so all advice is appreciated!

Thanks
    Gandorf

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Gfx card is a bit weak - I take it that it does fit in a ITX case? 7950 would be a better bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Gandorf

Yep, the card will fit - actually the case will fit a 7950. I picked the 7850 because I thought it was a good mix of performance, low power/temp/noise etc.
    A bit worried that the 7950 might be a bit loud in a SFF PC and might be overkill for 1920x1080 gaming? I suppose the 7870 might be a good compromise...

Advertisement