Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

fastfood the solution to late night violence?

• 22-07-2012 5:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

if folks could get a late night feed quickly and efficiently, would there be less nocturnal violence?
    It was suggested on the JD show some time back that the more chippers you have the less aggressive people are.
    could the humble chipper be the solution to our woes?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Legalise prostitution and weed, and keep pubs open 24 hours, get rid of the minimum drinking age. Guaranteed to solve all problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Most fights in Galway are outside Supermacs so no. Great for promoting obesity on the back of alcoholism though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Fuinseog wrote: »
    if folks could get a late night feed quickly and efficiently, would there be less nocturnal violence?
    It was suggested on the JD show some time back that the more chippers you have the less aggressive people are.

The Jack Daniels show?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

You need to come to Eyre Sq OP and see what happens

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭jcf

eth0 wrote: »
    Legalise prostitution and weed, and keep pubs open 24 hours, get rid of the minimum drinking age. Guaranteed to solve all problems
    I think you could be right there ...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

im with you on everything except the minimum drinking age... care to explain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

No way, drunks fighting over a dodgy kebab is rampant enough as it is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

The limiting factor here in terms of efficiency is not the chippers, surprise surprise, it's the drunks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Absolutely. There's nothing that makes scumbags lose the plot and lash out more than having to queue up for a curry chip

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

No, the idea should be battered on the head!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

jcf wrote: »
    I think you could be right there ...

Same, except on the minimum drinking age. There should be a minimum purchasing age and you have to be with a legal guardian who is of legal purchasing age to drink in a pub.

Tolerate street drinking, but not street drunkeness (you get the idea, don't arrest someone for being tipsy, but take them in and fine them for being a danger to themselves or others).

If pubs are open 24 hours then people will go nuts for the first few weeks, after that we will start finishing up when we feel we are done, so you won't be pushing 5000 people on to the streets at exactly the same time when they all want more beer and whatever else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I think i'm getting a craving for junk from this thread now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

Um, no. If people are drunk and in the mood for a fight they're going to fight. I've seen drunk people fight outside chippers, night clubs and one time in the middle of the road on Dame Street. I don't think chippers have much of an effect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

mikemac1 wrote: »
    You need to come to Eyre Sq OP and see what happens

tis well I know supermacs. maybe its having to queue that irritates the folks. although supermacs is also a good place to score.
    fastfood needs to be of a certain standard. even pissed abrakebra tasted mank.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Chipper queues are a great place to chat up the wimmins so no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

No, bad move. Stop, reverse, get the fúck back to the idea board.

I'd wager 70% of fights take place in (or by) places like Burger King, etc from what I've seen.

So no, having very drunk people in places that already serve fast food = many drunken people and fighting

Get em used to the drink at a young age, that way they won't be too pushed about it when they're older.

Same, except on the minimum drinking age. There should be a minimum purchasing age and you have to be with a legal guardian who is of legal purchasing age to drink in a pub.

Tolerate street drinking, but not street drunkeness (you get the idea, don't arrest someone for being tipsy, but take them in and fine them for being a danger to themselves or others).

If pubs are open 24 hours then people will go nuts for the first few weeks, after that we will start finishing up when we feel we are done, so you won't be pushing 5000 people on to the streets at exactly the same time when they all want more beer and whatever else.

with 24 hour opening you would certainly have people drifting away gradually and not spilling them all but at the one time. I suggested this in a discussion once and was told 'sure people would never go to work'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

The problem isnt a lack of chippers, people get into fights because everyone is turfed out of the pub at the same time. No drinking ads with people cleaning up vomit and piss will stop people going out and getting drunk and none will stop arse-hats going out looking for a fight. I hate to be a pessimist but most people are scum and its about time someone put cyanide in the water supply.

and get rid of the influential Joe Duffy show, which is continually campaigning against the demon drink and affordable booze.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

ban the chips, they remind me to much of the famine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

stagger closing times between 1am-5am, people will go home as they see fit. No queues for food or taxis, less chance of drunken fights.

Absolutely. There's nothing that makes scumbags lose the plot and lash out more than having to queue up for a curry chip

five mins waiting for a feed can seem like an eternity when pissed.

galway, a place once infamous for late night drunken brawls once supposedly offered a free curry and rice when you went to the disco. its about ten years ago that John Garvan decreed it so, but I never got mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

I have pondered on your suggestion long and hard (well for the last 35 seconds or so) .... and I cannot contemplate one single flaw in it.
    Well played good fellow. Well played I say.

and get rid of the influential Joe Duffy show, which is continually campaigning against the demon drink and affordable booze.

Get rid of Joe Duffy himself too, "ah sure we're all struggling, now feck off and pay your household charge while I pick up my 440k salary", the insufferable sh1tbag propagandist

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

Anywhere I've lived with relaxed drinking laws tend to have less violence.
    In Vienna, Austria, legal drinking age is 15, pubs never close.
    Safest city in Europe by a long shot.

Prostitution is legal, extremely low rates of drink related sexual assaults on women.

Violence simply is not tolerated, hit somebody and a lot of shît lands on your doorstep

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

They used to have a burger/hot dog van outside a nightclub I used to go to (has since closed). Every time Id leave the place there would be groups of lads lashing into each other over who gets the first hot dog!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,219 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

i suppose the poster means if their was no minimum drinking age parents could legally allow kids to taste alcohol along with educating them about the dangers, the possible outcome is that they won't like it and won't drink. some will argue that such a thing would say that its okay for kids to drink but they already do think its okay no matter how much their parents say otherwise. the question we have to ask ourselves is would we rather kids to be able to drink in a safe environment (the home) or a field? of course parents would rather their teenagers and kids not to drink but the fact is they are (not all i must add) but a lot of kids and teenagers are doing it whether we like it or not.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭ciano1

Anywhere I've lived with relaxed drinking laws tend to have less violence.
    In austria, legal drinking age is 15, pubs never close.
    Safest city in Europe by a long shot.

Prostitution is legal, extremely low rates of drink related sexual assaults on women.

Violence simply is not tolerated, hit somebody and a lot of shît lands on your doorstep

That's a big city! They must have lots of chippers!!:eek:

• Advertisement

I have pondered on your suggestion long and hard (well for the last 35 seconds or so) .... and I cannot contemplate one single flaw in it.
    Well played good fellow. Well played I say.

are there not a few prossies about the collins barracks area already?its still illegal and the guards will arrest you. maybe they could ply their trade in other areas. a ride from them would probably work out cheaper than buying shots for some young one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

with 24 hour opening you would certainly have people drifting away gradually and not spilling them all but at the one time. I suggested this in a discussion once and was told 'sure people would never go to work'.

There are people who wouldn't, but I'd wager these are the people who currently don't anyway. Most people would just use their own pace with an every now and then having all nighters/weekenders/benders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I think what they meant is bar workers would never be allowed leave work.

we definitely drink a lot faster and you have to compete with rounds. in other countries you paid at the end and nobody really fecks off without paying.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I think what they meant is bar workers would never be allowed leave work.

bar workers tend to work different shifts. irish pubs in general tend to be busier than continental.
    its not entirely true that pubs on the continent never close. it is at the discretion of the owner but they will not stay open if they have no customers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,219 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

a ride from them would probably work out cheaper than buying shots for some young one.

LOL. so true. with the young one theirs a risk even if you buy them the shots you won't get the ride.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

LOL. so true. with the young one theirs a risk even if you buy them the shots you won't get the ride.
    The women round your way must be rough if ye have to vaccinate them first before getting your end away. Once vaccinated, can anyone then ride them? Or do they need refreshing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

Chippers in niteclubs like the good old days I say

mconigol wrote: »
    Chippers in niteclubs like the good old days I say

explain. a chippers in the actual niteclub. i cannot imagine the smell.

It would nicely cover up the smell of people farting, BO and other bad smells

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

You think we need MORE chippers? Ha!

• Advertisement

i suppose the poster means if their was no minimum drinking age parents could legally allow kids to taste alcohol along with educating them about the dangers, the possible outcome is that they won't like it and won't drink. some will argue that such a thing would say that its okay for kids to drink but they already do think its okay no matter how much their parents say otherwise. the question we have to ask ourselves is would we rather kids to be able to drink in a safe environment (the home) or a field? of course parents would rather their teenagers and kids not to drink but the fact is they are (not all i must add) but a lot of kids and teenagers are doing it whether we like it or not.

parents can already legally do that. we don't have a minimum drinking age if you are in a private residence with parental consent to drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Most pubs wouldn't stay open 24hrs anyway but they should be allowed to choose to as long as residents aren't disturbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭lorrieq

Maybe by eating more and more fast food, such individuals become unable to engage in the physical activity of violence 😜 That is the only way I see this making sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ahsured

I havent been out getting fast food in years but I remember when getting a take aways from Burger Land in Cork during the 90s I had to make a run for it :D

There was always war there,or super macs in Limerick was fairly bad too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

having loads more chippers will not make up for a sh1t government and a sh1t judiciary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Brokentime

If you really wanted to go down this risible route of plying people with fast food to keep them docile, then open more fast food shops and chippers, McDs, whatever, and then make home delivery a lot cheaper (for example, using some private companies to do the deliveries). Et viola, people bugger off home and phone in a delivery instead. Streets clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

90% of fights are about a woman, and if you start advocating getting rid of women you will soon find yourself being in 90% of fights OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Interesting comment about having 24 hour bars.
    Would certainly stop the 2.30am mass-pub-exodus which is a well known time for trouble happening.

I always remember my dad telling me its best to leave before closing time. Fights happen then. Guess something he learned himself.

Told me long before I even started going to pubs. Something I ended up not listening too :P But the chap is right. More fights start around then. But apart from that, you'd get a taxi quicker or get some food easier. You should especially leave a pub early if you are getting the nightlink. The amount of fights that happen is mental. Who wants the hassle of all that crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I remember about 10 years ago being in a niteclub, and i opened a door thinking it was another way out and on the other side there was about 20 people in the room all sitting at tables and eating chipper food, mainly chips, chicken and sausages. I went up to the counter and filled my boots, it was free as well.

I asked the woman serving the food what the story was, and she said that they had to serve food on the premises at all times to gain a late license.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Brokentime

Super-Rush wrote: »
    I remember about 10 years ago being in a niteclub, and i opened a door thinking it was another way out and on the other side there was about 20 people in the room all sitting at tables and eating chipper food, mainly chips, chicken and sausages. I went up to the counter and filled my boots, it was free as well.

I asked the woman serving the food what the story was, and she said that they had to serve food on the premises at all times to gain a late license.

Where was that, then?

• Advertisement
Advertisement