Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

fastfood the solution to late night violence?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Fuinseog wrote: »
    if folks could get a late night feed quickly and efficiently, would there be less nocturnal violence?
    It was suggested on the JD show some time back that the more chippers you have the less aggressive people are.
    could the humble chipper be the solution to our woes?

No, closing the fast food places would reduce many public order problems caused by people hanging around outside them and aiting for their food. If there was no food available people would go straight home to get a feed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

I'm all for more chippers, but wouldn't it lead to more food fights!:pac:

Rabies wrote: »
    stagger closing times between 1am-5am, people will go home as they see fit. No queues for food or taxis, less chance of drunken fights.

I'm not sure this would work though. Most of the people will go to the bar staying open the lastest.
    bluewolf wrote: »
    parents can already legally do that. we don't have a minimum drinking age if you are in a private residence with parental consent to drink.

I was under this impression also. But would social services have any rights to stop you?
    Super-Rush wrote: »
    I remember about 10 years ago being in a niteclub, and i opened a door thinking it was another way out and on the other side there was about 20 people in the room all sitting at tables and eating chipper food, mainly chips, chicken and sausages. I went up to the counter and filled my boots, it was free as well.

I asked the woman serving the food what the story was, and she said that they had to serve food on the premises at all times to gain a late license.

I remember this in a nightclub I used to go to about 15 years ago. You would get a food ticket on entrance for one serving. Chips and suasages never tasted so good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Interesting comment about having 24 hour bars.
    Would certainly stop the 2.30am mass-pub-exodus which is a well known time for trouble happening.

Stagger closing times. We don't have the maturity as a nation to handle 24hr bars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

[Q
    I remember this in a nightclub I used to go to about 15 years ago. You would get a food ticket on entrance for one serving. Chips and suasages never tasted so good.[/QUOTE]

meal tickets were given in clubs in Galway but food was not served. it was a scam. if you asked for some you were told they had finished serving.

no harm for a pub or club to give something free of charge to their customers as a sign of appreciation. a few cocktail sausages cost little and work wonders.

publicans bitch that they are losing customers while jacking up the price of booze and giving noting back to the customers. they are leading eh charge against discount booze. if you gather enough mates together its far cheaper to have a house party than go to the pub or club.

Stagger closing times. We don't have the maturity as a nation to handle 24hr bars.

we are used to the nanny state. people would probably ring joe duffy and complain that the 24 hours opening system made them stay out all night and miss work the next day.

MagicSean wrote: »
    No, closing the fast food places would reduce many public order problems caused by people hanging around outside them and aiting for their food. If there was no food available people would go straight home to get a feed.

home can be some distance away if you are out and about in place like dublin. maybe folks should bring hang sangwidges for after the pub?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

Fuinseog wrote: »
    home can be some distance away if you are out and about in place like dublin. maybe folks should bring hang sangwidges for after the pub?

Or get a taxi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Years ago a hotel couldn't get a late licence without serving food...I remember going to the local nightclubs that were in the hotels and you'd be given your supper ticket when you paid in.. you could get chicken curry, chips and nuggets or sausages and water.. no queues outside chippers.. everyone sobered up a bit and there were definitely less rows. . . plus you got to sit down and eat it inside rather than on the street :rolleyes: god i'm old :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

I remember about 10 years ago being in a niteclub, and i opened a door thinking it was another way out and on the other side there was about 20 people in the room all sitting at tables and eating chipper food, mainly chips, chicken and sausages. I went up to the counter and filled my boots, it was free as well.

I asked the woman serving the food what the story was, and she said that they had to serve food on the premises at all times to gain a late license.

Standard stuff years ago, you'd get your 'supper' ticket on the way into a club. Christ I'm showing my age here :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Food served during all hours of trade is a requirement here. Can be a pain in the hole at times, but a great benefit as a customer. Have a pizza, wedges, fires, pie or other good beering food at all hours.

I remember our local club doing the same with a back room in the mid 90's. Your entry fee covered a meal. Usually mash/fries with veg and sausages.
    Kolido wrote: »

I'm not sure this would work though. Most of the people will go to the bar staying open the lastest.
    Doesn't happen. People are pretty good, even drunk people. Your body does tell itself when it is home time and you leave.
    I work in the bar/club industry here. Many have 24hr licences, most don't use it. Peak drinking hours on a weekend is 11pm-3am. Sure there are clubs and bars open until 6am and a few until midday, but combine a late bar with good staff and doormen and you keep the trouble out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Brokentime wrote: »
    Where was that, then?

Wexford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,219 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

We don't have the maturity as a nation to handle 24hr bars.
    you could argue that for the brits to. maturity is no reason not to have them though, its 2012 after all. if someone is going to get off their heads on drink their going to do it anyway, the country could do with the extra revenue. the reason people are immature about drink is because of the backward rules in relation to licencing. their are many immature people around the world who do other immature things besides getting to drunk, should we ban or restrict everything because of them? time for the nanny state to go.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭liamhana

God/allah/budda be with the days when you'd have a bowl of something served up to you before being turfed out onto the street... in particular I remember a place in Salthill where if you were in a very bad way the owner wouldnt let you out of the place without downing a plate of stew/curry and rice.
    Stopped the fighting & this was place where The Cure/Smiths was played along side ac/dc and plenty of other headbanging stuff!
    How we didnt all get distemper/mange/cholera or gonnorhea I dont know...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

I'm not sure how staggering the closing hours would work, most people would just gravitate to the pub/bar/club with the latest closing and you'd be back at square one.

In my experience, when the hours get later (these days there are several pubs open until 2pm/2:30pm during the week), people just go out later. We have the sense to realise that if they could stay in a club until - say - 4am, there's no point in going out at 9pm at being blotto half way through the night.

The problem is, of course, people go out with the best of intentions, but after a few drinks common sense goes out the window. If there was 24 hour drinking, I'm sure even the most sensible of us would fall foul of it and end up with woeful hangovers.

It definitely could mean 24 hour drinking would involve a very messy transition. Of course, there's also the issue that most people don't want to go to empty pubs/clubs to drink, they go for the craic/buzz of the crowd, so you'd probably still have people entering the bars at the same time; but at least you wouldn't have thousands of drunk, hungry (and horny) people with very impaired judgement all leaving the clubs at the same time and chaos ensuing..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

who_me wrote: »
    I'm not sure how staggering the closing hours would work, most people would just gravitate to the pub/bar/club with the latest closing and you'd be back at square one.

In my experience, when the hours get later (these days there are several pubs open until 2pm/2:30pm during the week), people just go out later. We have the sense to realise that if they could stay in a club until - say - 4am, there's no point in going out at 9pm at being blotto half way through the night.

The problem is, of course, people go out with the best of intentions, but after a few drinks common sense goes out the window. If there was 24 hour drinking, I'm sure even the most sensible of us would fall foul of it and end up with woeful hangovers.

It definitely could mean 24 hour drinking would involve a very messy transition. Of course, there's also the issue that most people don't want to go to empty pubs/clubs to drink, they go for the craic/buzz of the crowd, so you'd probably still have people entering the bars at the same time; but at least you wouldn't have thousands of drunk, hungry (and horny) people with very impaired judgement all leaving the clubs at the same time and chaos ensuing..
    This is where a combination of street policing and good doormen come in.
    Don't allow them on premise. Just because you're a late bar or 24hrs, doesn't mean you have to serve everyone.
    The Irish mentality is to drink until you can't walk/talk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Arpa

Anytime I've ever had problems in Dublin city was either inside or outside a fast-food place. Knackers waiting in chipper queues are time bombs. It's the vinegar that attracts them, or the 'battor booorgers'.

The sterile lighting in a fast-food place seems to bring out the worst in people after they see clearly for the first time the mongelator they have pulled in the dimly lit club.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

fastfood the solution to late night violence?

bit like asking if throwing petrol onto a fire would put it out.

at first glance anyway. but there's little doubt drunkenness increases the probabilty of fighting, so really your questions should read

'would faster service at a fast food reduce late night violence'. as eating reduces levels of drunkenness, the answer is yes.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

What ever the best solution is it won't happen because it never does .That's our way .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

This is where a combination of street policing and good doormen come in.
    Don't allow them on premise. Just because you're a late bar or 24hrs, doesn't mean you have to serve everyone.
    The Irish mentality is to drink until you can't walk/talk.

Plus, if there's only a few places open till the very end, they'll have their pick of customers. they could easilly refuse people and still be full.

Another thing they should do is revisit the cafe bar license. having smaller cafes that serve wine and beer would mean that people would be scattered around the place a bit more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I remember being taught geography for the intercert (yep I'm that old). the reason fights happen at chippers is because of build up. A lot of people at a one place. Opening more chippers would solve that to an extent. However what you need to realise is that there are other places for bottlenecks. Taxi ranks etc... making people go through the chipper phase faster just means there's a faster buildup at the next stage which is bus/taxi. So fights just move location.

Best bet is to stagger the release of drunks into the system. thereby never putting pressure on one particular point. And that means staggering closing time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

stagger closing times between 1am-5am, people will go home as they see fit. No queues for food or taxis, less chance of drunken fights.

the voice of reason, Brussels has had all night pubs and cafes for donkeys years and the city still functions on a day to day basis, if society treats people like adults they tend to behave like adults

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Instead of arresting people the Guards should take the shoelaces away .They did that in the 1960s at the Hastings mods n rockers skirmishes i believe .

Advertisement