Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to live with family in Dublin

Options
  • 22-07-2012 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi,

I am an Irish expat, moving back to Ireland shortly. I have a job lined up in the city centre, and I would like to live as close to work as possible.

Could any suggest an child-friendly neighbourhoods/developments in inner city Dublin?

Are there any apartment complexes with green areas and playgrounds?

Dublin four is too expensive, and my experience of Dublin 2 is that it is not suitable. I don't really know the other inner city postcodes.

I see there are some houses around Dublin 8 with Gardens. Would Kilmainham/Inchicore be a good place to live with small children. I want somewhere that my wife can feel safe walking with the kids in the daytime.

I read something about Clancy Quay in Dublin 8. It was/is a development which was supposed to have school, creche, playground. Does anyone one know if it came to pass or has been abandoned?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

doodlebla wrote: »
    Hi,

I am an Irish expat, moving back to Ireland shortly. I have a job lined up in the city centre, and I would like to live as close to work as possible.

Could any suggest an child-friendly neighbourhoods/developments in inner city Dublin?

Are there any apartment complexes with green areas and playgrounds?

Dublin four is too expensive, and my experience of Dublin 2 is that it is not suitable. I don't really know the other inner city postcodes.

I see there are some houses around Dublin 8 with Gardens. Would Kilmainham/Inchicore be a good place to live with small children. I want somewhere that my wife can feel safe walking with the kids in the daytime.

I read something about Clancy Quay in Dublin 8. It was/is a development which was supposed to have school, creche, playground. Does anyone one know if it came to pass or has been abandoned?

dundrum, churchtown, rathfarnham. luas or drive to city in less than 25mins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

raheny is very nice and upmarket, st annes is there for walks and the beach is minutes away

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Ray von

Check out Clontarf in D3. Close to city, Beside a beach (dollymount) and has a massive park with playgrounds close by (St Annes).

Perfect place for families.

raheny is very nice and upmarket, st annes is there for walks and the beach is minutes away

Just in ahead of me! Raheny also a great area.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 doodlebla

Thanks, this is an area I had not considered - Raheny/Clontarf.

I am going to look into them a bit more.

I would also be happy in a decent sized apartment if there were child friendly facilities. I have gotten used to city centre living while abroad. I know that generally in Dublin many people just move out to the suburbs after a couple of years of enjoying the nightlife.

• Advertisement

Does anyone have an opinion on East Wall?

It looks nice on Google street view, houses seem well kept and there is a playground.

Does anyone have an opinion on East Wall?

It looks nice on Google street view, houses seem well kept and there is a playground.

Big thread here on East Wall.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=205297&page=45

The area has its plus points like being close to the city, IFSC and Clontarf.

But in general it would not be an area i would move too. A bit of anti-social behaviour, gangland violence etc. But like anywhere it depends on which road and how lucky you get with your neighbours.

I'd look 5/10 minutes north to nicer parts like Clontarf, Killester, Raheny & Marino etc.

Ray von wrote: »
    Big thread here on East Wall.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=205297&page=45

The area has its plus points like being close to the city, IFSC and Clontarf.

But in general it would not be an area i would move too. A bit of anti-social behaviour, gangland violence etc. But like anywhere it depends on which road and how lucky you get with your neighbours.

I'd look 5/10 minutes north to nicer parts like Clontarf, Killester, Raheny & Marino etc.

Thanks, I am certainly considering Raheny. I am going to be working near Grand Canal dock, so anywhere on the Dart is fine. I just don't want to rule out city centre locations if I can, because I prefer to walk to work. Saves money on transport and gym.

Thanks, I am certainly considering Raheny. I am going to be working near Grand Canal dock, so anywhere on the Dart is fine. I just don't want to rule out city centre locations if I can, because I prefer to walk to work. Saves money on transport and gym.

I live in Grand Canal Dock great area but expensive as you say.

Try Ringsend/Irishtown area, 5/10 mins walk to Grand Canal Dock and more affordable than the rest of D4.

Ringsend Park & Sandymount beach on your doorstop.

http://www.dublincity.ie/RECREATIONANDCULTURE/DUBLINCITYPARKS/VISITAPARK/Pages/RingsendPark.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Cabra ..near the city , on bus routes, near luas, beside the phoenix park
    Near the M50

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Harolds Cross is an option too OP. I'd forget about East Wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

+1 for Clontarf. The part nearest St Anne's Park. I grew up there and lived there until I was about 27. Fabulous area still. The Park, the beech, safe to walk. You can walk to the DART for a ten minute trip to the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 su27

I'd also like to know more opinions on living with family in that area.

Advertisement