Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cage contender judges biased Roddy v Gugerty?

• 22-07-2012 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi

I went to my first Cage Contender last night and have to say i was very impressed with the level of talent.

However the main event left a bad taste in my mouth.
    I felt Roddy showed alot of heart but that Gugerty won rounds 1 & 2.

I am just wondering if anyone knows how the judges are selected and if anyone else feels they went with Roddy because he was the crowd favourite?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭fightireland

No idea how they are selected and I actually can't remember exactly which three took that fight but I could see Rodney Moore and Andy Ryan judging throughout the night and those men know MMA in and out.... literally EXPERTS.

Pretty amateur of you to suggest they may have scored the fight in a biased fashion.

Winning half one one round convincingly does not win you a fight. Hence Gugerty lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

There was no bias - Rd1 was Gugerty's. 2 & 3 were Roddy's. If the fight had been 5 rounds, I reckon Roddy would have finished it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 germania

No idea how they are selected and I actually can't remember exactly which three took that fight but I could see Rodney Moore and Andy Ryan judging throughout the night and those men know MMA in and out.... literally EXPERTS.

Pretty amateur of you to suggest they may have scored the fight in a biased fashion.

Winning half one one round convincingly does not win you a fight. Hence Gugerty lost.

I know winning the 1st round convincingly does not win a fight but takedowns and effective striking do and thats what i seen throughout the second round from Gugerty.
    Unfortunately this is what happens if you use biased judges,local judges will be swayed by the noisy home support it happens all the time no matter how honest the judges try to be it is just natural.

I think you make a good point and you've changed my thinking now on the judges
    There was no bias - Rd1 was Gugerty's. 2 & 3 were Roddy's. If the fight had been 5 rounds, I reckon Roddy would have finished it.

I dunno man,,i cant wait until the fight comes onto youtube and we can all watch it again i think you'll change your opinion on round 2 :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭p to the e

You're making it sound like Gugerty was robbed. I thought it was a close fight that could have gone either way. And personally, like people said above, I gave the first to Gugerty and the next two to Roddy.

• Advertisement

You're making it sound like Gugerty was robbed. I thought it was a close fight that could have gone either way. And personally, like people said above, I gave the first to Gugerty and the next two to Roddy.

Ive alot of respect for Roddy after watchin him fight but yeah i really do feel Gugerty was robbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭troygracie

as a judge on last night cc show i judge the fights as i see regardless of were the fighters are from

as a judge on last night cc show i judge the fights as i see regardless of were the fighters are from

I know its very difficult being a judge and its easy for me to sit behind my computer and say all this after the fight is over.

Im happy enough now after getting what i wanted to say off my chest and hearing the opinions of everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭Jason McCabe

That fight could have went either way really

Though Roddy finished strong which always helps ur case

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭The Bored One

I think if you can make a solid arguement for why a fighter won a fight, then its not a robbery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Richy06 wrote: »

I was there Saturday too and this is exactly how I saw the result.

Roddy finished very strong and Gugerty seemed to have run out of steam by round 1. Also if I remember correctly it was a split decision, so a very tough fight to score.

All in all a great night of action!

• Registered Users Posts: 20 YourMMA

That fight could have went either way really

Though Roddy finished strong which always helps ur case

It shouldn't though, because it's scored on a round by round basis so the first two rounds should have already been logged.

I've not seen the fight but it sounds like it was a good scrap - can't wait to watch it! Big well done to Roddy for getting the W against such a big name opponent. In MMA there can be very close fights where the decision could go either way, doesn't mean it's a robbery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭John Ferguson

Richy06 wrote: »

After watching the footage I totally agree!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

It was a close fight.

I, in fact, would've given it a draw, with Rd 2 being 10-10.

Although I remember thinking if the fight had taken place in the likes of UFC, where 10-10 rounds are very rare, i'd have given Roddy the edge in Rd.2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I wasn't at the fight but I watched it on Setanta. I scored the fight for Roddy too. I gave the first rd to Gugerty and the last two to Roddy.
    It was a very close fight though and it could've gone either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 dylandub

Gugerty should have got the nod, very worst a draw.

This is how I saw it;
    rd 1;10-8 Gugerty, rd 2; 10-9 Gugerty, rd 3; 10-9 Roddy but thats just my opinion.

I do think Roddy would have won should it have went 5 rounds.

Why is Cage Contender championship fights not 5 rounds anyway? Or was it just this event? never been to one before.

dylandub wrote: »

Why is Cage Contender championship fights not 5 rounds anyway? Or was it just this event? never been to one before.

Our reasoning is that we feel it is unfair to expect fighters to fight 5 rounds for the amount of money that is available in domestic MMA. It is different in the UFC for example as fighters fighting 5x5 are getting a substantial pay day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭califano

Other than money humans aren't meant to fight for that long. And tactics would slow down the pace of fights over time with fighters expending less energy in rounds with the likelihood of more boring fights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 826 ✭✭✭SBG Ireland

we're not really designed for fighting at all

and don't think id call mulpeter v donnelly boring

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭The Bored One

we're not really designed for fighting at all

and don't think id call mulpeter v donnelly boring

The UHSSC. Ultimate Homo-Sapian Survival Championship. Watch top athletes flee from predators and then later ambush them with rocks, pointed sticks and force of numbers.

• Advertisement

Our reasoning is that we feel it is unfair to expect fighters to fight 5 rounds for the amount of money that is available in domestic MMA. It is different in the UFC for example as fighters fighting 5x5 are getting a substantial pay day.

Well why don't you rule out elbows if that is the logic. Taking an elbow to the head for "the amount of money" is way more of a risk to fighters and I think most fighters would not mind 5 round title fights. I know the fans would love it and it really sorts out any doubt in title fights ie the Gugerty-Roddy debate.

Well why don't you rule out elbows if that is the logic. .
    Because we don't want to :)

We have a system in place that works for Cage Contender so why change it. I don't believe it would be a change for the better so why do it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭mcdermott

Well why don't you rule out elbows if that is the logic. Taking an elbow to the head for "the amount of money" is way more of a risk to fighters and I think most fighters would not mind 5 round title fights. I know the fans would love it and it really sorts out any doubt in title fights ie the Gugerty-Roddy debate.

What do you call the successful show you run?

Im not at all knocking Cage Contender.... so don't be on the defensive McDermott.

Nothing in this life is perfect and CC, im sure as any good business/organisation etc, is always looking for ways to improve. I am sure Mr. Ferguson would agree with this, even if he doesn't think my suggestion of 5 x 5 rounds is a good one.

But I do believe any good MMA promotion should have 5 x 5 round title fights. There is a reason why UFC, Strikeforce, Bellator, Cage Warriors etc all do this, because title fights are VERY important....

There is not much, if anything, that I can fault CC for and I don't think my comments warrant a 'well what would you know' type statement from anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

No but you are being very insistent when a perfectly good reason has already been given

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Im not at all knocking Cage Contender.... so don't be on the defensive McDermott.

Nothing in this life is perfect and CC, im sure as any good business/organisation etc, is always looking for ways to improve. I am sure Mr. Ferguson would agree with this, even if he doesn't think my suggestion of 5 x 5 rounds is a good one.

But I do believe any good MMA promotion should have 5 x 5 round title fights. There is a reason why UFC, Strikeforce, Bellator, Cage Warriors etc all do this, because title fights are VERY important....

There is not much, if anything, that I can fault CC for and I don't think my comments warrant a 'well what would you know' type statement from anyone.

You've asked a question and been given a very clear and concise answer.

Apologies to Mr. Ferguson then if he feels I was being "insistent" or pushy following his answer.

Was only stating my opinion on the matter and giving my response to his answer, meant no harm by it.

Advertisement