Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Has anyone here ever had Hardwareversand assemble their PC?

Options
  • 22-07-2012 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭

Whilst using the PC Configurator tool on the Hardwareversand website, I noticed that assembly was listed as one of the services provided by the Company. Personally, I absolutely hate assembling a computer and would do anything to avoid it, so this service seemed particularly appealing to me.

So, my question is, has anyone here ever used the assembly service? And if so, was it any good?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

Found a thread on Boards talking about it.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=79392845

Apparently some people here did use the service, but I would like to know a little bit more about what they actually thought of the service. Would they recommend it, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

No don't use it.

Firstly HWVS are a little sloppy (no more than Dell say) in how they put it together.

Then they give it to a courier who drops it a few times before it gets to the Airport. Ground staff then kick it around a bit. Before launching it into a big carrier and then trowing a few more boxes on top if it.

Then its unloaded, kicked a few more times before being dropped a few times in Ireland.

Now packing will protect it to a certain extent but things will be shaken loose. If you're using the build service its probably because you don't want to open the PC - well you may end up doing that any way.

Do yourself, and your components, a favour - leave them nicely indivdually packed until they arrive with you then put them togeather yourself :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Klaatu

I concur with GCDLawstudent.

My PC arrived last week from An Post. Both the case and the motherboard were damaged. The power button fell into the case when I tried to switch it on and one of the antenna connections was hanging loose off the motherboard. Additionally I could not install the OS most likely due to some issue with the DVD drive.

I had to pack it up and send it back to Germany. Hopefully I'll get it back in reasonable condition in a week or two. Definitely would have been better off putting it together myself.

K.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yeah, GPUs and CPU coolers installed in transit isnt great.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

heh, glad I didn't ask hwvs to assemble mine. Especially since I ordered a hr-02 cooler, wouldn't like to see what damage that would do to the asrock motherboard while in transit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Blue_Seas

Would I be okay getting them to build mine? I'm not adding a GPU or a cooler so..

Building it all myself seems fairly daunting to me

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Blue_Seas wrote: »
    Would I be okay getting them to build mine? I'm not adding a GPU or a cooler so..

Building it all myself seems fairly daunting to me

If you've ever played with lego as a kid and can use a screwdriver, you're already over-qualified in most cases.

Everything has it's place, you just have to put it there, and it's really not that difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Blue_Seas

If you've ever played with lego as a kid and can use a screwdriver, you're already over-qualified in most cases.

Everything has it's place, you just have to put it there, and it's really not that difficult.

Would it take long? I'm worried about getting like.. 4 or 5 things wrong and getting confused and you get a series of threads from me asking what I'm doing wrong :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

If you do a bit of research (by that I mean, for example, watch the above video) and have some idea of what you're facing into, it shouldn't take that long at all. I would say leave maybe 2 hours so you're not rushing yourself but it's generally quite straight forward.

Cases have specifically designated places for the power supply, hard drive bays, disc drives and motherboard as well as routing for cable management if you're bothered. So on that aspect, it's easy to know where to put everything.

On the motherboard itself, it's the same thing. Every part has a designated place to go. You're not going to end up with the RAM in the cpu socket or something crazy :) Literally like lego for most parts.

After everything is clicked into place, connect up your cables (SATA, Power, Fans, front controls, etc) and you're good to go. Press the on button and hope for the best. If everything goes well, you're onto the OS (windows, linux, etc) install. If everything goes without a hitch you should have it up and running within the 2 hours IMO.

Also I do believe there's a number of people on the forum willing to help/assemble the PC for you, depending on where you're based?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

I once ordered a computer from HWVS for a friend and had them build it.

The first and last time.

When I got it the hard drive wasn't connected and the GPU had been jammed into place and screwed BUT not in the PCIex slot, so bad!

I ended up having to go through everything to double check so it was a waste of money.

I'd really advise you to build your own, it'll be easier if you have to upgrade/troubleshoot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

Thanks guys for all the responses! I think I'll put the computer together myself. It's a pity because I'd love to have it just done and dusted by the time it arrives.

Well, best get the screwdriver out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,195 ✭✭✭ZeroThreat

If you do a bit of research (by that I mean, for example, watch the above video) and have some idea of what you're facing into, it shouldn't take that long at all. I would say leave maybe 2 hours so you're not rushing yourself but it's generally quite straight forward.

Cases have specifically designated places for the power supply, hard drive bays, disc drives and motherboard as well as routing for cable management if you're bothered. So on that aspect, it's easy to know where to put everything.

On the motherboard itself, it's the same thing. Every part has a designated place to go. You're not going to end up with the RAM in the cpu socket or something crazy :) Literally like lego for most parts.

After everything is clicked into place, connect up your cables (SATA, Power, Fans, front controls, etc) and you're good to go. Press the on button and hope for the best. If everything goes well, you're onto the OS (windows, linux, etc) install. If everything goes without a hitch you should have it up and running within the 2 hours IMO.

Also I do believe there's a number of people on the forum willing to help/assemble the PC for you, depending on where you're based?

More like a weekend in my case, but it was my first ever self-built PC, and I spent quite a bit of time looking at the manual that came with the motherboard, not to mention the agony of fitting on the particular heatsink in my case. Then there was the problem with new Usb keyboard not being recognised in bios initially, and my windows password not being recognised. (which was solved thanks to replies on boards.ie about setting admin mode)

All that being said, If I had to do it again, I'm sure I could assemble & install o/s in a few hours, with the benefit of hindsight.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Beaver1

I got mine built by them and there was no problem,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

Beaver1 wrote: »
    I got mine built by them and there was no problem,

I glad someone is putting some balance on this as for every unhappy customer I'm sure they have 10 more that were grand. Do also bear in mind it's the couriers and not HWVS that are causing the issues. You could just be careful in what cooler you order and ask them not to fit the GPU.

The fact that it looks like it crashed mid-sentence did make me lol a bit though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Put mine together, the works, no problems what so ever.

Advertisement