Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constant Disconnections

Options
  • 22-07-2012 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

I'm really frustrated at this stage..I've had three technicians to my house over the past few weeks and they installed a filter on my sky tv box,a filter on the main connection in the hallway and gave me a new modem but yet my internet keeps disconnecting every few minutes

Speed: 4096 kbps /384 kbps
    Line Attenuation (Down/Up): 48 dB /24 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 12 dB /28 dB

I'm get about 3mb download now.A few months ago I was getting 6192kbps(about a 5mb download)

It's constantly 4096 kbps,
    I'm not even sure if this will post cause it keeps disconnecting.

Hopefully someone can help me

Thanks
    Carter

P.S I'm using ethernet

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 Tabitha Tusdar

carter001 wrote: »
    I'm really frustrated at this stage..I've had three technicians to my house over the past few weeks and they installed a filter on my sky tv box,a filter on the main connection in the hallway and gave me a new modem but yet my internet keeps disconnecting every few minutes

I'm get about 3mb download now.A few months ago I was getting 6192kbps(about a 5mb download)

Thanks
    Carter

P.S I'm using ethernet

disconnect the sky box from the phone line.. u don't need it anyways.

if u have Zyxel router... then that will most likely be the cause of the disconnects.... ask eircom for a netopia router instead.... the Zyxel routers are complete and utter trash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭eircom: James

Thanks
    Carter

P.S I'm using ethernet

Hi carter001,

I've been looking into this again for you. I can see you logged a problem with technical support on 17th. There was an engineer out at the exchange but didn't find an issue. When I tested it again this morning there is a fault showing there. What I have done is spoken directly to management in technical support an explained the case and the previous contacts so that they can see the issue is ongoing.

They have escalated to another engineer with a priority tag so it will be checked in some more detail in the next few days. The reference number for the fault is 11386541. If you need to call in or check for an update you can use this number. There is no doubt that the service has degraded slightly on your line but I have to leave it with the engineers to check the physical connection again. Testing remotely only tells us so much. We'll let this run it's course and take it from there when they have checked it out for you.

Regards

James

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 14 Tabitha Tusdar

Carter by any chance is your router a black Zyxel? if yes thats your problem... try using a different adsl2+ router such as a netopia or netgear.

the zyxels are notoriously buggy... i know i went thru 3 of them.... using a netopia one now and it works perfectly

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭carter001

Carter by any chance is your router a black Zyxel? if yes thats your problem... try using a different adsl2+ router such as a netopia or netgear.

the zyxels are notoriously buggy... i know i went thru 3 of them.... using a netopia one now and it works perfectly

Hi Tabitha,

Yes it's a Zyxel,I used to have a netopia router which worked great,not sure if Eircom still sell Netopia routers?

James - The internet seems to be working today(this morning)last night though I had terrible trouble with it,it kept disconnecting,but now its fine.

Thanks
    Carter

Hi Tabitha,

Yes it's a Zyxel,I used to have a netopia router which worked great,not sure if Eircom still sell Netopia routers?

James - The internet seems to be working today(this morning)last night though I had terrible trouble with it,it kept disconnecting,but now its fine.

Thanks
    Carter

Hi carter001,

Glad it's working for you today but I reckon you'd prefer it to be working all the time! :) I checked the fault report this morning and it has now been assigned to a repair crew so someone should be out in the next day or 2. Once they have completed their checks, monitor it for a day and if there's still an issue leave a note here. We'll then try to look into it further for you. I reckon the fault is still the issue so hopefully once that's sorted, so will the connection.

Regards

James

• Advertisement

Hi carter001,

Glad it's working for you today but I reckon you'd prefer it to be working all the time! :) I checked the fault report this morning and it has now been assigned to a repair crew so someone should be out in the next day or 2. Once they have completed their checks, monitor it for a day and if there's still an issue leave a note here. We'll then try to look into it further for you. I reckon the fault is still the issue so hopefully once that's sorted, so will the connection.

Regards

James

Thanks for all your help james :)

Hi James,

The Eircom Technician called today and did a few tests..He said he disconnected my Sky TV phone line connection(phone line for box office,online features etc etc)he said I didn't need the phoneline for sky TV.He said the sky was interfering with my broadband

When I checked my sky setup it said the telephone was still connected to the sky box.So I think he disconnected the wrong cable because the telephone in my kitchen has stopped working(no dial tone).

I tried connecting the handset in the hallway(which is working)to the handset in the kitchen and still no joy.No dial tone.So I think the technician might have disconnected the kitchen phone line by mistake.

The technician said when he disconnected the line(supposedly going to my sky box) he said there was an improvement in the internet status.

As of now I have had no disconnections today,none that I can see but my line speed is still 4096 kbps /384 kbps,as I said before it used to be over 6mb for the line speed and I was averaging 5MB download.

No change there.

Not sure what to do at this stage,maybe you can help.
    Thanks
    Carter

Hi James,

The Eircom Technician called today and did a few tests..He said he disconnected my Sky TV phone line connection(phone line for box office,online features etc etc)he said I didn't need the phoneline for sky TV.He said the sky was interfering with my broadband

When I checked my sky setup it said the telephone was still connected to the sky box.So I think he disconnected the wrong cable because the telephone in my kitchen has stopped working(no dial tone).

I tried connecting the handset in the hallway(which is working)to the handset in the kitchen and still no joy.No dial tone.So I think the technician might have disconnected the kitchen phone line by mistake.

The technician said when he disconnected the line(supposedly going to my sky box) he said there was an improvement in the internet status.

As of now I have had no disconnections today,none that I can see but my line speed is still 4096 kbps /384 kbps,as I said before it used to be over 6mb for the line speed and I was averaging 5MB download.

No change there.

Not sure what to do at this stage,maybe you can help.
    Thanks
    Carter

Hi Carter,

I called the technician for you this morning. He was gone home when we saw your post yesterday evening. He wasn't aware of the extra extension for the kitchen phone but he did say he'll do his best to get back to you today. If not later today it will be early tomorrow. If you don't see anyone out there before lunch tomorrow let me know here and I'll get back onto him. He does have other jobs on today but said he'll be back over ASAP.

Regards

James

Hi James

Thanks for your help
    The technician came today and fixed the phone line in the kitchen.

My speed is still the same

Line Attenuation (Down/Up): 47 dB /25 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 12 dB /25 dB

I should be getting around a 5mb download

Could it be a problem with the router?

Thanks
    Carter

Hi James

Thanks for your help
    The technician came today and fixed the phone line in the kitchen.

My speed is still the same

Line Attenuation (Down/Up): 47 dB /25 dB
    DSL Noise Margin: 12 dB /25 dB

I should be getting around a 5mb download

Could it be a problem with the router?

Thanks
    Carter

Hi Carter,

The speed issue that remains is due to the profile set on the account. It is now allowing me to reapply the 5mb profile (currently set to 4mb) but when I make this change it will knock you internet off for a few minutes. If you give me the go ahead here I'll bump it back up to see if it holds the connection steadily. I don't want to go ahead in case you're in the middle of something.

Regards

James

• Advertisement

Hi Carter,

The speed issue that remains is due to the profile set on the account. It is now allowing me to reapply the 5mb profile (currently set to 4mb) but when I make this change it will knock you internet off for a few minutes. If you give me the go ahead here I'll bump it back up to see if it holds the connection steadily. I don't want to go ahead in case you're in the middle of something.

Regards

James

Hi James
    Thanks for the reply

Yes you can go ahead and bump the connection up.I won't be using the internet tonight

Thanks
    Carter

Hi James
    Thanks for the reply

Yes you can go ahead and bump the connection up.I won't be using the internet tonight

Thanks
    Carter

Hi Carter,

Have done the profile change for you now. Keep an eye on it for a couple of days and if there's any problems either let us know here or contact support directly on 1890 260 260.

Regards

James

Hi Carter,

Have done the profile change for you now. Keep an eye on it for a couple of days and if there's any problems either let us know here or contact support directly on 1890 260 260.

Regards

James

Thanks for your help James,

Although I would like my old line speed of 6MB back,I won't complain though

Thanks again
    Carter

Advertisement