Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Balbriggan

Options
  • 22-07-2012 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

Hi all north county Dubliners,

I've been thinking about it for a while and have decided to take the plunge and buy a little two bed apartment in Balbriggan. Im familiar with the area and spent the day out there today and love the vibe, I have a little girl who's one and there seems to be plenty out there for her I just have a few questions if anyone could help,
    it'll be around castlemill area more than likely because it's more affordable.

How much is a monthly train ticket to town-i work in Clontarf-?
    Is there a community feel out there, will it be easy to get to know people? Im 24 and even though I have a child and work etc id still like to make friends oand have a bit of a social life out there.
    Are there any astros, five aside, football type things for my other half?
    Is there anything I really should know, pyrite, apartment blocks to avoid, etc?

Would appreciate any input at all, thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Hi there. Try using the forum search function. A lot of the answers are available in existing threads.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 14,992 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Woot- welcome to the neighbourhood. The good lady and myself took the plunge and decided to buy a small house here just last year. I rented here about 7 years ago and didn't like the place. Fast forward 6 years later and the only nice house we could afford was in Balbriggan so we headed out to investigate and found a town transformed- it had grown up from boy racer central to being a town inhabited by young families.

We moved in and love the place. People are much friendlier than town. You can see it in the little things- such as how much room they give you when passing you while cycling. A nod of the head and a hello when out walking.... and so on.

I get the train into town but just feed the card into it so can't remember what the exact cost of a train ticket is- but it's around €120 per month. If your employer supports it, you can apply for the scheme that lets you pay less..... something to do with the tax rate your on.

There is a good community feel- as said, the town is populated by lots of young families. Local businesses, along the main street are generally very friendly and have that old town feel. You don't get that so much in the shopping centre but that's hardly surprising.

Heh I can't answer the football side of things as I haven't much interest in that but there are lots of pitches in the town that are used for kids leagues, so presumably there is probably some sort of league for adults.

There are a lot of estates both old and new. The only one I've heard of so far, via boards, that may be infected with pyrite is Moylaragh. There is a thread about it here on the NCD forum.

Once again, welcome to Balbriggan. It's a really lovely place to be. If you put some effort into your local community you'll get a lot out of it. If I can help you with anything please feel free to send me a pm and I'll do my very best to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭CarMe

Woot- welcome to the neighbourhood. The good lady and myself took the plunge and decided to buy a small house here just last year. I rented here about 7 years ago and didn't like the place. Fast forward 6 years later and the only nice house we could afford was in Balbriggan so we headed out to investigate and found a town transformed- it had grown up from boy racer central to being a town inhabited by young families.

We moved in and love the place. People are much friendlier than town. You can see it in the little things- such as how much room they give you when passing you while cycling. A nod of the head and a hello when out walking.... and so on.

I get the train into town but just feed the card into it so can't remember what the exact cost of a train ticket is- but it's around €120 per month. If your employer supports it, you can apply for the scheme that lets you pay less..... something to do with the tax rate your on.

There is a good community feel- as said, the town is populated by lots of young families. Local businesses, along the main street are generally very friendly and have that old town feel. You don't get that so much in the shopping centre but that's hardly surprising.

Heh I can't answer the football side of things as I haven't much interest in that but there are lots of pitches in the town that are used for kids leagues, so presumably there is probably some sort of league for adults.

There are a lot of estates both old and new. The only one I've heard of so far, via boards, that may be infected with pyrite is Moylaragh. There is a thread about it here on the NCD forum.

Once again, welcome to Balbriggan. It's a really lovely place to be. If you put some effort into your local community you'll get a lot out of it. If I can help you with anything please feel free to send me a pm and I'll do my very best to help.

Ah wow that friendly, informative reply says it all really thanks so much for taking the time to respond!
    Im actually really excited about getting out there, I've just been on the Balbriggan info site and can't get over the amount of effort, events, clubs etc in the area.
    I was absolutely shocked at how friendly everyone was today even when we were just asking for directions, they were all happy to chat and recommend the area and were clearly very proud residents!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

ringcommon wanderers FC (mens teams)
    Balscadden Blues FC (Mens and kids teams)
    glebe north FC (womens and mens and kids teams)
    hyde park FC (mens and kids teams)
    balbriggan FC (womens and mens and kids teams)
    O Dwyers GAA club (camogie hurling and football)

Scouts, girlguides, martial arts, gymnastics, tennis, badminton clubs, golf club, cycling club (or at least their used to be one!) horse riding local enough. Beaches, lots and lots to do really for kids and adults. indoor football in gormanston, astro park up in the glebe.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭thegrowreport

As well as all the things mentioned so far Balbriggan also has a lovely library on the Main Square (St George's) as part of the Fingal Council offices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 kmp1

Hi everyone. My name is Kieron, 24 years old English male. I came to Ireland about 11 years ago because my family moved over here. I'm staying for at least two years and I'm living in Balrothery.

I like Ireland but it has been hard making friends, I don't know where to start and that has kind of made my experience here not that much fun. Does anyone know a cool bar or space that I can go and meet people in the same condition as me?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Hi kmp1 the bar in the inn has a good buzz at the weekends I wouldn't say it's cool though :D for that you would have to go to Skerries or Balbriggan.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Umpalumpa

kmp1 wrote: »
    Hi everyone. My name is Kieron, 24 years old English male. I came to Ireland about 11 years ago because my family moved over here. I'm staying for at least two years and I'm living in Balrothery.

I like Ireland but it has been hard making friends, I don't know where to start and that has kind of made my experience here not that much fun. Does anyone know a cool bar or space that I can go and meet people in the same condition as me?

best bit of advice is to join a local club.As said above there are a lot football,gaa and gyms around.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭eh i dunno

kmp1 wrote: »

In Balbriggan The Lounge would be your best bet for someone your age. Has a nightclub too. Further afield you have Ollies and Blue in Skerries. Wright venue in Swords if you want to travel that far for a night out.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭CinammonGirl

O'Shea's bar down at the harbour is a nice pub. Has good music sometimes as well.

If you are into sport, Balrothery & Balbriggan Tennis Club is very friendly. All levels welcome. http://www.balrotherybalbriggantennisclub.com/index.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 abarna

nice hear the good comments about ballbriggan, plan to move soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭wow sierra

Great I hope you like living here. check out www.balbriggan.info to see all that is going on in the town.

Balbriggan is a town with lots of hidden organisations/sports clubs etc doing great work and having great fun along the way. Enjoy.

My personal favourite solitary pleasure in Balbriggan is walking along the beach to Gormanstown - on the beach when the tide is out or the headland otherwise. It's wonderful.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Hi jdhbigjohn, welcome to Boards. North County Dublin is a lovely place to live :)

I'm from Swords myself so I don't know what it's like to live in Balbriggan, but I've moved your post to a much more recent thread on the subject because this one is a few years old. You'll find your post merged with THIS thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement