Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Climber plant, Non Poisioness/Not destructive/requires low maintenance

Options
  • 22-07-2012 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks

The subject says it all. I am looking for a climber to discourage my child from climbing.

I would like one that is

Not Harmful to kids

Not structurally damaging.

Requires low maintenance.

Can you advise me please.

Thank you

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Hi Folks

The subject says it all. I am looking for a climber to discourage my child from climbing.

I would like one that is

Not Harmful to kids

Not structurally damaging.

Requires low maintenance.

Can you advise me please.

Thank you

Virginnia Creeper,Evergreen Clematis??:)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Pyracantha (evil cackle)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

looksee wrote: »
    Pyracantha (evil cackle)

Are you sure on this one. I see its great for security but imagine the thorns bad for kids. Can you get it without thorns?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

OP how much space have you got on the wall, height and width plus how much space in front of the wall, is it a narrow bed a wide bed fronted by grass a wall etc and what way does it face (NESW)?

Big SW facing wall with a path, drive or wall in front might suit a fig, you can train them on the wall but can let them grow as a large shrub. Only issue with a fig is if you want figs you need to restrict the root growth by planting it in something like an old stainless steel washing machine drum set in the soil.

But anything you plant might also need to be high velocity football proof.

eirator wrote: »
    OP how much space have you got on the wall, height and width plus how much space in front of the wall, is it a narrow bed a wide bed fronted by grass a wall etc and what way does it face (NESW)?

Big SW facing wall with a path, drive or wall in front might suit a fig, you can train them on the wall but can let them grow as a large shrub. Only issue with a fig is if you want figs you need to restrict the root growth by planting it in something like an old stainless steel washing machine drum set in the soil.

But anything you plant might also need to be high velocity football proof.

I have an 8 meter wall. I have 1 meter of growing ground. Not drained very well because of hight of neighbours. I have 5 mtrs to the right of decking and 1 meter to the left back of wooden shed.

The wall is to the north of the garden but the surface will be south facing. It is shaded by the house till midday so in winter it experiences a lot of shade although south due to the sun dropping

However the flowers when grown to the hight of the wall will be 10 ft and always in the sun.

I cant bury a drum in the ground but can put a big pot if necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

Given that its near decking a fig tree might give the area the right sort of feel, just bear in mind if they do well and don't have some form of root restraint they can get quite big. Most of the large ones you see in walled gardens and on old house walls will have escaped from whatever they were originally planted in and that results in excessive leaf growth at the expense of fruit. Winter sun isn't really an issue if the spot is sheltered. iirc the old gardening books (google it I'm sure the info will be around somewhere) say to plant in a brick lined pit 3ft deep 3ft wide and 2ft front to back, that would be for a fan trained plant covering about 12-16ft by 10-12ft. If you want to fan train it then go ahead but really all you need do is carefully prune off any forward facing growth and perhaps tie the leader into the wall or a stake to makesure it stays upright.

Initially growth will be quite slow so it won't be covering the wall for a few years.

I'll think about it and see what else I can come up with, its the low maintenance bit thats the problem ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

Pyracantha (evil cackle)

To be very clear I think the hint is in the evil cackle. Do not use this plant for the purpose you intend.... :rolleyes:

Children and climbing is a difficult one as children esp boys climb, I did. You could start with education and perhaps a regular supervised climb in a small tree with rules like no climbing unless supervised to get it out of the system. if the child is determined then anything put between them and the wall is just another obstical to get over. Perhaps get a climbing frame or take child to a playground that has one as a reward for not climbing the wall.

Are you sure on this one. I see its great for security but imagine the thorns bad for kids. Can you get it without thorns?

Joey, no, thats what the evil cackle was about :D. You said you wanted something to stop your child climbing. If you put up any climber either it will adhere to the wall and the child will use it for climbing, or it will need support and the child will use the supports for climbing. Pyracantha certainly has thorns so admittedly not the best thing, it would keep a climber away though!

Imagine the mind of a 2 year old....in the body of an 8 - 10 year old.

Thats what i have. A child with a disability not afraid to climb. I need something to stop him/restrict him but not kill him.

He will go at the thorns.

Figs are fine but he will eat them... Not a good idea before washing - Thanks again.

OK, fair enough Joey, but the additional information makes a lot of difference!

You have a problem there, I can't see anything growing on the walls is going to stop a determined 8 year old sized child, but obviously you do not want to turn the place into a prison.

http://www.realgardeners.co.uk/poisonousplants.htm This is an excellent list of toxic plants. Clematis does not appear on it.

I have a clematis montana which is very vigorous and grows in a mighty tangle of thin branches - they are not easy to get hold of, would not support weight and would stop access to the wall. They need a bit of support at the top but once they get going they tangle on themselves so they do not need a lot of wires etc.

It would take maybe three seasons to get big enough to be useful though.

Have you thought of putting in some shrubs - looking out of the window I have a photinia red robin growing near a wall. It has grown quickly, has loose branches that would not aid climbing, looks nice and is not toxic. A row of shrubs like that would distract from the wall, not aid climbing and would put up with a fair amount of abuse.

Edit: just re-reading your information, Clematis are very happy to have their roots in shade with their heads in the sun. I have one montana growing in the gap between a 6 ft wall and a shed about 2ft away, no problem, I have had to hack it back twice as it is so vigorous.

• Advertisement

OK, fair enough Joey, but the additional information makes a lot of difference!

Thank you, but i am sure you appreciate that the additional information sometimes does not want to be parted.
    I have loads to go on now.

Especially the poision list

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Can I add in the climbing hydrangea as a suggestion. Less vigourous than the montana, so should be less maintenance. Likes shade. Can get woody at the base, but I don't think it would support a climbing child. It is more of a leaner than a climber, so will come away from the wall easily enough.

please note about figs (part of a write up about figs I did for a school in galway).

A Fig Tree

Of particular note, on the canal, is the Fig tree (Latin Name - Ficus carica) near the Salmon Weir Bridge. This tree is exceptionally old for an Irish fig tree. It is very unusual for a Fig tree to survive our harsh winters, without losing its top shoots. It is also very unusual for a Fig tree to grow that close to water and thrive. This tree is well known and widely recognised as a landmark and tourist attraction.

The management of a Fig tree presents some problems. The sap can cause severe skin blistering, rashes and allergic contact dermatitis (similar to that of poison ivy). Fig tree sap may also cause photodermatitis. Fig tree sap can be a serious eye irritant. It is worth noting that the half-ripe fruits may be poisonous, as the semi ripe fruits are not yet disconnected from the trees sap supply.

The Fig tree is a native of South West Asia.
    A Fig tree is deciduous (loses its leaves in winter)
    Fig trees do well against a south facing wall.

The Ficus family includes species that are evergreen and deciduous, from giant trees to small shrubs, climbers and creepers and ground cover. Many are epiphytic (grow on other plants but not parasitically).

Would you be able to attatch some sort of railing to the end of the decking to act as a barrier, or errect a railing (like at playgrounds) at 1m from the wall that may deter your child provided that the railing itself is not climable. A barrier of some description might be your only answer. If you post a photo of the site we could come up with more specific ideas for you.

had a look for some photos of swimming pool fences that may be appropiate and you may be able to get made here and found this one as a good example:

attachment.php?attachmentid=214399&stc=1&d=1343068198

Oldtree wrote: »
    Would you be able to attatch some sort of railing to the end of the decking to act as a barrier, or errect a railing (like at playgrounds) at 1m from the wall that may deter your child provided that the railing itself is not climable. A barrier of some description might be your only answer. If you post a photo of the site we could come up with more specific ideas for you.

No. the only thing i can do is put a railing on the wall but it would have to be solid incase he got near it. For example trellis would be dangerous as it would not support weight. But plants especially wet plants can be a great deterent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Just thinking, a climber is going to take a good long time to cover an 8 meter wall. Years. With 1m growing space in front of it, whatever you pick, i would go for some big shrubs as well in front of them for the shorter term. Soft tall ones, that hold rain water on their leaves or flowers...

Spirea
    Hydrangea
    Viburnums. These are woody, but the stems grow straight up making them very hard to climb. The ine i am thinking if is tall softleaved and dark red... Can't think of the name.
    Dogwoods (cornus) quite demse, so again hard to climb.

No. the only thing i can do is put a railing on the wall but it would have to be solid incase he got near it. For example trellis would be dangerous as it would not support weight. But plants especially wet plants can be a great deterent.

Taking the railing idea a bit further with a long term view:

if you were to have a railing, like pictured above (metal and childproof), of a suitable (unclimbable) height for you child, and then brace it to the wall at up to a meter or so from the wall, it may be safe and secure and allow planting in between, like dogwood (easy to maintain, hardy, recovers well from pruning and grows relativly quickly and thickly with a choice of bark colors for winter) to fill up the 1m gap as your child gets older and taller.

Advertisement