Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FUJITSU SIEMENS - Processor and RAM upgrade

Options
  • 22-07-2012 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭

My Fujitsu Siemens laptop is running on an Intel Celeron (R) M 1.4 GHz processor with 448 Mb RAM. Is it possible to upgrade either/both components, would there be any likely noticeable improvement?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

ttenneb wrote: »
    My Fujitsu Siemens laptop is running on an Intel Celeron (R) M 1.4 GHz processor with 448 Mb RAM. Is it possible to upgrade either/both components, would there be any likely noticeable improvement?

Outlook looks bleak.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Bin it, far too old.

ED E wrote: »
    Bin it, far too old.

I wouldn't say bin it. It could be repurposable.

Upgrading the hardware I'd say is out of the question. While the RAM is probably do-able*, it probably wont make much of a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭ttenneb

I don't believe in "binning" as a first option with anything that stops functioning properly. Far too much stuff ends up in landfill that might otherwise have been repairable, but there's a certain satisfaction to be derived from extending the lifespan of something previously considered not worth trying to fix. ED E obviously owns an up-to-the-minute iPad and iPhone. I suppose he'll be shocked to learn I still use my Royal manual typewriter and when I badly need a fix I have a bash on my IBM golfball. Thanks for the replies, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

ttenneb wrote: »
    I don't believe in "binning" as a first option with anything that stops functioning properly. Far too much stuff ends up in landfill that might otherwise have been repairable, but there's a certain satisfaction to be derived from extending the lifespan of something previously considered not worth trying to fix. ED E obviously owns an up-to-the-minute iPad and iPhone. I suppose he'll be shocked to learn I still use my Royal manual typewriter and when I badly need a fix I have a bash on my IBM golfball. Thanks for the replies, anyway.

I really should have said give it Camara, but to clarify no, thats very much not me. My desktop is 5 years old, my laptop is 6. My tablet cost €100. So no, I'm no ipad totting ponce.

My point was really that the frustration it will cause in use mean its not worth keeping, and upgrading would be a money hole. Re-purposing probably wouldnt go well either.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    Re-purposing probably wouldnt go well either.

It's perfectly excellent for word processing and some web browsing actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭ttenneb

The Fujitsu Siemens isn't as bad as I might have suggested. It takes a while to wake up, and doesn't like to be hurried, but having been left running for an hour or so behaves in a reasonable way. I appreciate the suggestions and will continue to be patient. Time was when I used bring all my stuff to Camara, but they now charge to take in unwanted computers.

Advertisement