Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A question about travel in USA & payment methods

Options
  • 22-07-2012 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭

Possibly a question for someone who travels stateside regularly or recently.
    I'm not sure how widespread or accepted use of card payment is in California, and if ID is required to use a VISA debit card for example, or any other quirks.

I'd considered taking out US dollars at An Post Office "commission free", but the rate is dire. 1.18usd per Euro. However, if I use my VISA debit card, the exchange rate is showing as 1.21 (updated daily on VISA main website) plus a 1% per transaction fee (minimum €0.25 max €6.00) and a 1% exchange fee (minimum €0.25 max €6.00). Total of 2% for POS transactions.

It would appear (or am I missing something) that using the VISA Debit Card is a better option than cash. no risk of carrying 100s of dollars, and covered by VISA fraud cover if card was stolen and used by someone else. Seems safer than a wedge of cash. I know I'd need some hard cash for tips etc and small purchases of course.

I'd guess I might end up using your card 5 or 6 times per day, so might incur transaction charges of €2 or €3 per day.

Anyone been to USA lately and use card extensively for POS transactions. Did it work out ok? Any pitfalls?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I've used Visa Debit (and various other cards) there for years, only one once was I asked for ID. Even then, when I said I didn't have any one me (which I didn't) the clerk at the drugstore accepted the payment anyway.

As for value, that's a personal judgement. I tend to bring some cash, use ATM's sparingly and cards for payment when nessecary.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭teddybear178

The US has not fully embraced the chip in card technology as of yet. I was in Los Angles a couple of months ago and had to sign my credit card (MasterCard and VISA) and my VISA debit receipts instead of entering my PIN at the point of purchase. I was never asked for ID. In many ways they have a very antiquated banking system. People still use paper cheques for making purchases at retailers. The VISA debit system is phasing that out though.

Cirrus/MasterCard and Plus/VISA ATMs are ubiquitous so finding one shouldn't be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

Thanks guys. Thats's what I was thinking alright; that they were a bit behind regarding chip and pin etc.

I'll probably rely on cash mostly I think. The only other question I have is about 100 dollar bills. I understand Starbucks, 7-11, gas stations, small retailers, won't touch them, and even Starbucks etc won't even take 50s! However, if your bringing many 100s of dollars you cannot really take all 20s. Your wallet wouldn't close!!
    Any problems breaking these? Obviously you cannot buy chewing gum for 1 dolalr and pay with a 100 bill, but generally are they easy to break?

The other issue is changing them back. When I returned from my last trip I tried to lodge my left over US100s into my bank account, and the bank (UB Sandyford) told me they could not accept these 100 dollar bills as they were an older series (series 1996) and lacked the security of newer series notes. The funny thing is, the series 1996 is the LATEST '100 dollar bill series' in circulation. The 2009 100 dollar bill series has not been launched yet. UB said I would need to go to the central bank to exchange the 100 dollar bills to euro. zzzz....
    I suppose I could just change them at the airport bueru de change in the arrivals hall upon my return.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭teddybear178

US notes tend to multiple like weeds as there are no coins above 25 cents in circulation. Buy a mineral drink in a shop with a $10 bill and you might get eight $1 bills back. UGGH!

I tend to have a couple of hundred in 20s when I go and try to put as much as I can on the credit credit while I'm there. There are a few reasons for this. The cc provides me with a record of my spending, no transaction fees, reasonable exchange rates, security as I'm not carrying wads of cash, and I get points for each $ I spend. Almost all merchants take cc in this day and age.

I don't know if Ulster Bank is go to give you any trouble time this around. I think they should be bending over backwards trying to keep the customers they have. As a lark, take a photo of a $100 note, be certain to get the serial number, when you're purchasing them at UB. Be certain to get the bank in the photo as well. Don't take that not with you. When you come back, if they try to give you a hard time, show them the photo and ask why they sold it to you if there is a problem with it?

Advertisement