Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Powerline Ethernet Adapters

Options
  • 22-07-2012 9:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭

Wireless in my room is awful. Our internet speeds aren't very fast, around 8mb down and about .5 up. The modem and router are located through about 4 walls. I currently have a wireless pci card set up in my newly built computer. I'm looking at about two bars of a connection.

It's not impossible to use but it none the less is very slow, especially since I paid over a grand for the PC. I was wondering if anyone here has ever used any type of powerline ethernet adapter.

I found a set on amazon for just a little over €40. Is it a decent investment or a waste of money in your own personal opinion? Wired connection is not an option.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Power line adapters are quite good, never had an issue with any I've tried. The bit error rate will always be lower on a cable compared to a wireless connection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Sarz91

Power line adapters are quite good, never had an issue with any I've tried. The bit error rate will always be lower on a cable compared to a wireless connection.

O ok. My router is a Netgear WNR 2000 with a speed of up to 300 mbps. Is there a problem with buying those powerline adapters which are only 200 mbps? Should I look for ones with speeds up to 300 mbps?

Advertisement