Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snapped lines on 2 rods - monster fish

Options
  • 22-07-2012 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

Was out fishing on Sat! caught a few fish.... had two rods with feathers on either side of the boat and then boom - the rods went flicking about 90 degrees - reeled one rod in a tiny bit and the line snapped - did the same on the other one and boom it snapped also .. in about 3 - 5 seconds for both rods---- wtf --- i suppose i should have released the line out a bit - didnt really expect something so big to be honest - used to catching max 2 foot foot cod and pollack...

Is it as simple as that >>>>> i should have flicked the switch and let the fish run and tire it out or whats the craic... one of the lines was really strong - the lad i bought it from i think said 100 pounds?? maybe im wrong...

Any advise would be appreciated..... would have loved to seen what i hooked... maybe it was a fekin seal or a dolphin! spotted a few dolphins?? prob a whale..... lol... most prob not though... suppose it could have been 3 or 4 big pollack even.... who knows but ... real shame i didnt see as ive never had nearly that much power or weight on the rods...

I reckon i found a savage spot for fishing!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,701 ✭✭✭jd

Where were you? Could be a tope or seal taking the mackerel!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭martin46585

Not really a betting man, but I'd go a punt that you hooked the bottom or heavy kelp, on an ebb tide,
    and before you think you have something really big, 'ping' goes your line........

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭dvae

id say the bottom too.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Ned_led16

I caught two large pollack seconds b4 and two other fishing boats came over within 300m about 5 mins later...... i was fishing high tide ..sunny day .... inbetween Crookhaven and mizen head - before barley cove ...2km off shore of barley cove where theres load of a tidal race and waves ...which was odd cause it was flat calm every where else... i spotted a few boats out the back of barley cove ..then they fished where i was then went ontowards crook.... sh*t load of people out fishing by crookhaven though....

Could have sworn the power was fluctuating on the rod - but u have me doubting myself now! who knows.... but if i remember right - the power was on and off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

I would be 90% sure it was a snag if both rods went within a few seconds of each other. You could have went over some weed, or the snagged the bottom

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭dvae

if you were catching Pollock, the chances are you were not fishing over sandy
    ground.
    Ive had this happen to me before. even a slight wave out side the boat can
    cause the rod to bend if your hung up on a rock.

Yeah it was prob a snag! just seemed differnt to being snagged! ive been snagged once or twice b4...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭martin46585

A receding tide can run at 5 knots, and if you snag the bottom while fishing a drift, the rod would bend double, and snap the line....

Interesting cause it was super quick - when i was snagged b4 over the years it was always a slow process .... most prob snagged so... no worries - didnt think about the tide...

Anyway if u do catch a monster fish sea fishing - whats the technique - do u let it run a lot or a little? and whats a lot and whats a little - i would have thought u let it run about 3 or 4 seconds a couple of times??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Monster fish?? No
    Tope?? Possible
    Big fat thieving seal?? More than likely
    Happened to me out in bulloch harbour
    Snapped 4 lines on us and was Robbin our macs off the line
    it's a head wrecker aswell as ya get excited when the line screams off and next thing snaps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭thebishop

Used to fish out of Crook a few years back for Blue shark.Had some great days out there .This would be a good time of the year to have a go.Dont think they would take feathers though:D

Monster fish?? No
    Tope?? Possible
    it's a head wrecker aswell as ya get excited when the line screams off and next thing snaps

You dont get shark in ireland do you...tope is shark??? would they bite a human>>>???

anyways whats the technique or isnt there one to let the line run???

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Ned_led16 wrote: »
    Monster fish?? No
    Tope?? Possible

You dont get shark in ireland do you...tope is shark??? would they bite a human>>>???

anyways whats the technique or isnt there one to let the line run???
    Tope is a species of shark yes
    We also have blue shark the odd few mako shark and some others aswell that I'm just too tired to write down only awake

Advertisement