Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Useless projects you'd commission with £21tn

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

insert an asteroid into lunar orbit
    then nuke it

result - the moon will have pretty rings like Saturn

also giant animal shaped balloons in low earth orbit

what about earth? can earth have rings too? .... I want rings...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

what about earth? can earth have rings too? .... I want rings...

Of course it can and you wouldn't need to nuke the asteroid, it would fall apart when it reached the Roche limit

but then you wouldn't be able to see the moon :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The Jumpers for Cows Project

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Coup.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭zenith90

Another supporter for the Leitrim Skyscraper project! :D

3 storeys and it would be towering above the county!

Two spires and a lift, with a platform on top, with a Guinness tap fed directly from St James Gate.

One at each side of the road, on the South side of O'Connell bridge, with a lift in the the middle spire, up to a viewing platform. This viewing platform would sway slightly in the wind, and would probably have a tourist office and a pub that sold Guinness.

A quick mspainting of the spire is here.

As a further waste of money, the Guinness would come via a pipe, direct from St James Gate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

the_syco wrote: »
    Two spires and a lift, with a platform on top, with a Guinness tap fed directly from St James Gate.

One at each side of the road, on the South side of O'Connell bridge, with a lift in the the middle spire, up to a viewing platform. This viewing platform would sway slightly in the wind, and would probably have a tourist office and a pub that sold Guinness.

A quick mspainting of the spire is here.

As a further waste of money, the Guinness would come via a pipe, direct from St James Gate.

Instead of having one of those silly pay telescopes at the top as they often do have a similar kind of platform holding a loaded sniper rifle but with its movement restricted so it can only be aimed at the Dail

eth0 wrote: »
    Instead of having one of those silly pay telescopes at the top as they often do have a similar kind of platform holding a loaded sniper rifle but with its movement restricted so it can only be aimed at the Dail
    That'd be kind of useless, as there'd be no-one in the Dail after the coup :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

I'd blow the lot on Gender Sensitivity Training for the regular posters of AH.

Wouldn't take long.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Build another spire climbing to 10,000 meters in Longford.

At least it'd make the county somewhat interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

1. Make Monkey Riverdance a reality.
    2. Genetically engineer a breed of talking dog.
    3. Pay everyone to leave Ireland... your move IMF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭GaryIrv93

GaryIrv93 wrote: »
    1. A few Skyscapers and more development projects around the country.

2. Invest a good bit more in every part of the Defence Forces. Bigger and more capable Army, Navy and Air Corps. I'd also contribute some cash towards the development of the F-35.

3. My favourite development: A fake mini city somwhere in Dublin solely for Airsofting, and another for Paintballing. Very cheap if not free entry, open all hours + access to everywhere inside it. I would also make it easily accessible from anywhere in Ireland - maybe build it near a railway. In it there'd be estates, towers, forts, high rises, streets, dark underground areas, no-mans-land areas with trenches, an airfield with retired and destroyed planes, helicopters, old army and burnt out vehicles, rivers... you name it. Also would have artifical smoke screens around the place to add realism. Then throw in a few hundred / thousand players, divide them into teams, let them do what they want or give objectives, scatter them around the place and it would be good to go. Think that'd be great fun and would attract worldwide attention and countless tourist players. :D

4. Fund an Irish Sea Tunnell to connect Ireland to GB.

5. More investment in renewable energy projects and funding of more oil and gas exploration in Irish coastal waters.

6. Some large car assembling plants, aircraft manufacturing and shipbuilding companies throughout Ireland.

(Not before using some of the £21tn to sort out Ireland's economic problems first, such as debt, welfare, pensions, hospital beds, medical care, education, overhauling and improving our education system, social problems, housing, disadvantaged areas, more funding for SPCA's, etc) Basically the stuff we hear about every feckin day! Would still have an insane amount of money left to spend on the quoted projects. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

A conservatory for newgrange
    And free tumblers & footballs for collecting penalty points

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Buy 19.7 million dominos and set up them up in a row (ready to topple) from Malin Head to Mizen Head. Then instead of The Late Late Toy Show, I'll broadcast a live simulcast on all RTE and TV3 stations of me starting to knock the dominos as Shane Mc Gowan and the Popes sing a gig to celebrate the Great Domino Knock. THEN, on a truck with a camera crew, we will follow the Dominos, live on TV as the topple their way through the Country all the while the Saw Doctors will play a marathon session of "I useta love her" as we wind our way through the country throwing 'water' balloons full of Guinness at people as we go through major towns.

At the end there be some naked models (Georgia Salpa and the likes) and fireworks and as the last domino falls and I'll release 31 doves, 3 pidgeons and a ferret to symbolise world peace and as Paddy Reilly (is he alive?) sings the Fields of Athery to close the 6 hour broadcast, I'll go off and interfere with the models.

See, I wouldn't squander €21tn like the rest of ye.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Olympics is costing the UK £9Bn

We'll have a series of Olympics one after the other in the two thousand biggest towns and villages in Ireland, keeping us entertained for at least a hundred years.

Think of the tourism revenue !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

zenith90 wrote: »
    Another supporter for the Leitrim Skyscraper project! :D

3 storeys and it would be towering above the county!

You wouldn't get past some of the celtic tiger houses around that area with only 3 storeys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

we have all heard the saying 'it would be a great country if you could put a roof on it'

put a roof over ireland and find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭AeoNGriM

eth0 wrote: »
    This ridiculous amount of money mentioned in the other thread got me to think what sort of money you could just throw at pet projects that will be of very little benefit to yourself, without any need for the investment to pay off.

I would want them to be of use to other people but throwing it all to the "charity industry" is very boring, most of the money gets soaked up by execs and people will be starving again shortly after anyway.

So i'll start off

1. I'd build a series of Nail houses. A prime site for a shopping centre comes up for sale surrounded by sky scrapers in the middle of a big city, I'd buy it and have one modest size house built on it, with a garden and a shed. They'd all be fully furnished with stuff you'd find in a traditional Irish house regardless of the country they're in. Then I'd rent them out for feck all money to people who happen to be stuck for a house once I'm convinced they won't make a mess of the place

2. In a place with a lot of Johovas I'd buy two houses in an open field and join them up with an underground tunnel. Just to scare the sh1t out of them when the same person answers the door to them in both places.

3. Set up a car factory to build oldschool cars that should never have gone out of production like the Talbot-Lago T-150 and DeLorean, wouldn't change them much except maybe a more efficient engine. Sell them for 20k each just to make sure their owners look after them.

4. Have someone stand outside every nightclub in the country at closing time handing out free joints and prostitute vouchers just to dispel any potential trouble

5. Build a free cable car between England and Ireland and also an underground tunnel but only people who have been on the cable car would be allowed to use the tunnel

6. Buy up a load of ghost estates, farm land and maybe a few small towns and make a national park out of it. Plant it full of forest and have a nice scenic windy road going through it with no speed limit.

In the Latin alphabet, Jehova begins with an I...............

Advertisement