Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Irish property tax to cost 'on average' €1000 per house.(can you afford it?)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

alastair wrote: »
    I don't dispute it - but I probably pay more. Nonetheless no-one claimed the HHC would pay for refuse collection in Louth, did they?

Yet rates and council tax pays for these services elsewhere......

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Ghandee wrote: »
    Yet rates and council tax pays for these services elsewhere......

And those rates and council taxes are greater than what's being asked of you here. Still nothing comes to mind on your principled opposition to property taxes?

oops! - that's for tayto obviously. I'm sure he'll be along with them any time now.

And those rates and council taxes are greater than what's being asked of you here. Still nothing comes to mind on your principled opposition to property taxes?

FFS, you were answered this very question already Alastair.

Dont play silly beggars.

Dont play silly beggars.

I got no answer - just evasion - I'm not the one engaged in silly beggars.

On rates: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0124/1224310672338.html

• Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Dont play silly beggars.

If he wants it that badly he can search for it himself.
    I'm still waiting for proof that he paid his especially with his previous record(s).

• Advertisement

If he wants it that badly he can search for it himself.
    I'm still waiting for proof that he paid his especially with his previous record(s).

I've already told you - I'm not sure I'd recognise them - far handier for you to either re-iterate them now (surely something comes to mind?), or cut and paste them, if you're too tired to type.

Hold the presses! I've found them:
    I hear Reilly's mansion in Offaly is exempt too. Why should anyone pay if he's not?

Right so - since James Reilly's house isn't exempt - that would seem to nullify your deeply held principles.

Ahh - more principled arguments against property taxation:
    I don't like a Home Tax. Bought and paid for my home myself. Paid Stamp Duty and every other tax connected with decorating it, furnishing it, heating it etc etc.

Nah don't like this tax and not going to bother with it.

It IS 'I don't like it'. What a lucky guess!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

Ahh - more principled arguments against property taxation:

It IS 'I don't like it'. What a lucky guess!

how about this one?
    "im not happy with the level of service i receive. would you pay for a service if you werent happy with it?"

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭SM35

I cannot understand all the fuss on property tax... Public services need to be paid for. .. I pay 2600 pounds council tax in UK. I get schooling water sewage waste collection preschool places for kids libraries public parks swimming pools etc etc.
    Ireland is an outlier in Europe when it comes to property tax. People need to get real......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

SM35 wrote: »
    I cannot understand all the fuss on property tax... Public services need to be paid for. .. I pay 2600 pounds council tax in UK. I get schooling water sewage waste collection preschool places for kids libraries public parks swimming pools etc etc.
    Ireland is an outlier in Europe when it comes to property tax. People need to get real......

nice new account there, welcome to boards.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

bgrizzley wrote: »

LOL....

I cant seem to see what the four other posts they have relate to....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

They're getting clever. 5 posts, but 4 of them you can't see.

To think that you can buy a plot of land, drive to the quarry for a load of cavity blocks, some sand and cement and when you are finished building the council will come knocking demanding a yearly payment to them for the work you have just done is enough to make my blood boil. That just doesn't seem right no matter what way I look at it. You won't find the council falling over themselves to provide services to your new house (and if they did they'd be unsolicited services they'd be demanding payment for)

The nonsense about swimming pools and libraries can stop as well, plenty of those were built when there was no property tax and the cost to go into them was still reasonable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭kr7

Who are you?

If you're really new to boards.ie, perhaps you should read through the household charge threads, there's about 16,000 posts.
    You might learn something about the difference between the UK and Ireland and what we get for our money.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Hello again !!

The nonsense about swimming pools and libraries can stop as well, plenty of those were built when there was no property tax and the cost to go into them was still reasonable.[/Quote]

I merely make the point that in Scotland local services are paid for by local council taxes. Those who can afford to pay do so, and those that can't ,don't pay. At least we have decent public services which are properly funded. People at home need to realise that the stamp duties have been well and truly spent.... Proper tax reform is required starting at a local level. I mean in which modern country are primary schools required to fund raise with church gate collections....

Hello again !!

A nice package of tayto crisps for the first person to tell us who SM35 really is...:D

kr7 wrote: »
    Hello again !!

A nice package of tayto crisps for the first person to tell us who SM35 really is...:D
    Coleman living in Glasgow..

Cork man.. Bloody predictive text..

Cork man.. Bloody predictive text..

kr7 wrote: »

Who are you?

If you're really new to boards.ie, perhaps you should read through the household charge threads, there's about 16,000 posts.
    You might learn something about the difference between the UK and Ireland and what we get for our money.

If services are not funded, you get sh!te services. Only the rich can afford to pay privately for services, and the poor suffer. I am well off and do not mind paying council tax as it supports services for less well off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Sorry Ghandee, twas such a nice thread last night but sadly, I'm now oot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

I merely make the point that in Scotland local services are paid for by local council taxes. Those who can afford to pay do so, and those that can't ,don't pay. At least we have decent public services which are properly funded. People at home need to realise that the stamp duties have been well and truly spent.... Proper tax reform is required starting at a local level. I mean in which modern country are primary schools required to fund raise with church gate collections....

"Can afford to pay" being defined as anyone not living in a cardboard box? I'd much rather the church gate system regardless of the perceived antiquity of that system. At least I won't be put out on the street for not putting money in that collection box.

Sorry Ghandee, twas such a nice thread last night but sadly, I'm now oot.

What has scared you off ?

how about this one?
    "im not happy with the level of service i receive. would you pay for a service if you werent happy with it?"

Is that another principle from tayto? He's not paying any taxes then?

eth0 wrote: »

"Can afford to pay" being defined as anyone not living in a cardboard box? I'd much rather the church gate system regardless of the perceived antiquity of that system. At least I won't be put out on the street for not putting money in that collection box.

You have to pay for waste collection and use of local services, school uniforms, school books, running of schools etc. one eay or the other. So let the schools beg at the church gate.. Let the poor get no services... Or fund services properly....

Ps Four of my posts are not in public domain as they were posted in private forum.

If services are not funded, you get sh!te services. Only the rich can afford to pay privately for services, and the poor suffer. I am well off and do not mind paying council tax as it supports services for less well off.

I wouldn't describe myself as rich.

But I do pay for my own refuse collection (about €550 per year), I pay for my own sewage treatment system (€10,000 to install & €350 per year service charge) I pay for my kids schoolbooks/school transport, I pay €50 to see a doctor and extortionate prices for prescriptions, the list goes on and on.

I'm expected to pay the same as your council taxes on top of these.

Things that your council taxes pay for in the UK.

Ps Four of my posts are not in public domain as they were posted in private forum.

No need to explain - if people want to imply you're a sockpuppet - it's because they can't concede some of us believe in supporting services with taxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

eth0 wrote: »

Homeowners were given from January to March to come up with €100. I don't give much for the prospects of anyone who genuinely couldn't come up with €100 in three months being able to hold on to their private house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

It's very simple for the government so, confirm that the HHC and the new property tax will be used to pay for "schooling water sewage waste collection preschool places for kids libraries public parks swimming pools etc etc." and that we will no longer have to pay for all of this separately as well and you might get a few more people in favour of it.

As regards water and sewage, there are a lot of people who paid a lot of money to install their own water pumps from their own wells and install their own septic tanks and percolation systems - are they going to be entitled to pay less because they won't be availing of this new fantastic service that the councils are now going to provide after the collection of all of this money?

• Advertisement

Homeowners were given from January to March to come up with €100. I don't give much for the prospects of anyone who genuinely couldn't come up with €100 in three months being able to hold on to their private house.

When it's €1,000 and they lose their homes the LA's will have to re-house them.

Clever, real clever!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement