Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Irish property tax to cost 'on average' €1000 per house.(can you afford it?)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

alastair wrote: »
    I went back to paying council tax - and subsequently NI rates. That's because the poll tax was acknowledged as an actual unjust system of taxation.

You refused to pay it, and it subsequently was deemed to be unjust. You still did not pay it before it was deemed as such.
    (I'm sure many in the UK disagreed with your view on that Alastair, but anyway)

So, that gives me the right to refuse to pay any property tax until its deemed unfair/unjust?

Have I got it right?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

How do you know we won't be asked to pay UK levels of taxation? I don't expect UK levels of service provision, however, I do object to people who use it as a prop for their argument that we should pay whatever tax the government throws at us.

What suggests we will? Nothing so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

and publish the names of the worst offenders.

Like Stubbs gazette?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭kr7

You'll be waiting for a while to see the whole taxation system rebuilt. In the meantime we can make it a bit more like other developed countries by adding property tax to the mix.

Significant strides have been made by the Revenue Commissioners to recover unpaid tax from the likes of the holders of undeclared offshore accounts. They take in about €120 million quarterly from this exercise and publish the names of the worst offenders.

It's a start I suppose.

What really gets me though is the amount of people who don't have to pay for their property services.

Even if they don't own the property the services are still provided for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

kr7 wrote: »
    It's a start I suppose.

What really gets me though is the amount of people who don't have to pay for their property services.

Even if they don't own the property the services are still provided for them.

exactly why the tax is unfair...and should not be paid.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

And people who will be expected to pay for services that they don't use.

Ghandee wrote: »
    You refused to pay it, and it subsequently was deemed to be unjust. You still did not pay it before it was deemed as such.
    (ok sure many in the UK disagreed with your view ok that Alastair, but anyway)

So, that gives me the right to refuse to pay any property tax until its deemed unfair/unjust?

Have I got it right?

One more time for posterity.

I didn't pay to protest the unjust nature of the poll tax.
    I fully expected to have to pay up with late payment penalties.
    I didn't try and hide from the authorities, and certainly didn't entertain the notion that I'd never have to pay it.
    The state subsequently abandoned the poll tax and the local authorities didn't pursue poll tax debtors. It wasn't an issue for the local authority (who didn't want the thing in the first place) so I just reverted to paying council charges.

And people who will be expected to pay for services that they don't use.

That's the nature of a civilised society. Everyone contributes to local services btw - through general taxation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

One more time for posterity.

I fully expected to have to pay up with late payment penalties.
    I didn't try and hide from the authorities, and certainly didn't entertain the notion that I'd never have to pay it.
    The state subsequently abandoned the poll tax and the local authorities didn't pursue poll tax debtors. It wasn't an issue for the local authority (who didn't want the thing in the first place) so I just reverted to paying council charges.

Yet you would deny your country men the same options........ for shame.

That's the nature of a civilised society. Everyone contributes to local services btw - through general taxation.

Everyone hasn't contributed to my septic tank and my water pump. If people choose to live in houses under the remit of a council then they should pay for these services themselves.

• Advertisement

mikom wrote: »
    Yet you would deny your country men the same options........ for shame.

I''m denying nobody anything. But thanks for the laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Is that another principle from tayto? He's not paying any taxes then?

That's your friend Phil. He has the same principles as you too. I wonder if they have a Poll Tax in Portugal?

That's your friend Phil. He has the same principles as you too. I wonder if they have a Poll Tax in Portugal?

Oh look - it's Mr. 'I don't like it'. A man of principle! :rolleyes:

No need to explain - if people want to imply you're a sockpuppet - it's because they can't concede some of us believe in supporting services with taxes.

Except Poll Taxes :D

thanks for the laugh.

No charge.

Except Poll Taxes :D

Correct. At least I could determine the nature of the injustices associated with the poll tax.

Some pay more times than others though...

Everyone hasn't contributed to my septic tank and my water pump. If people choose to live in houses under the remit of a council then they should pay for these services themselves.

Your private septic tank and pump? Why no! They haven't.

Oh look - it's Mr. 'I don't like it'. A man of principle! :rolleyes:

Making it up as you go along.

• Advertisement

Some pay more times than others though...

I know - but the car is so handy.

Your turn tonight tayto....

Your private septic tank and pump? Why no! They haven't.

Exactly. So why should I have to pay for their water and sewage services?

It's not ground rent - it's property tax. And yes - bad ****e happens if you don't pay your taxes.

You might even have to flee England.

mikom wrote: »
    Making it up as you go along.

Not really - I'm very secure in my position - and like to defer to reality in formulating it. Unlike some.

Not really - I'm very secure in my position - and like to defer to reality in formulating it. Unlike some.

Your handbook tell you that?

I know - but the car is so handy.

Jesus, I'd pay the tax on that noddy car you have just to see you driving around in it:D

Exactly. So why should I have to pay for their water and sewage services?

Why should you have to help pay for poor sod's cancer treatment?

Why should you have to help pay for poor sod's cancer treatment?

Yeah that's exactly what I said.

• Advertisement

Yeah that's exactly what I said.

Same principle applies.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement