Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Irish property tax to cost 'on average' €1000 per house.(can you afford it?)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭kr7

alastair wrote: »
    Why should you have to help pay for poor sod's cancer treatment?

Take another pill, the senseless BS is starting again....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

the government must reckon this local services bolloxology is the only thing they can reasonably use to try and make the tax popular/accepted

Its like a gambling man with a severe gambling addiction spending all the money he earns on gambling, but trying to convince you the 50e he wants from you is the particular 50e he needs to put petrol in his car to drive to work, and to his dieing granny to look after her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Same principle applies.

Not really, no.

I actually don't even understand what you mean about paying for someone else's hospital care :confused: After my recent hospitalisation I will have to ensure those bills are covered myself, nobody else is going to pay them for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

eth0 wrote: »
    the government must reckon this local services bolloxology is the only thing they can reasonably use to try and make the tax popular/accepted

Its like a gambling man with a severe gambling addiction spending all the money he earns on gambling, but trying to convince you the 50e he wants from you is the particular 50e he needs to put petrol in his car to drive to work, and to his dieing granny to look after her.

It's just like that - except in every detail.

Oh wait. It's not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

kr7 wrote: »
    Take another pill, the senseless BS is starting again....

I prefer the term jazz talk.
    **** away at a saxophone creating spirals in the air.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Correct. At least I could determine the nature of the injustices associated with the poll tax.

That's why you skipped then :D

Alastair's getting tired now lads, not making any sense at all.

He almost engaged.

Not really, no.

I actually don't even understand what you mean about paying for someone else's hospital care :confused: After my recent hospitalisation I will have to ensure those bills are covered myself, nobody else is going to pay them for me.

You might look again at the amount taxation subsidies the health system here. You'll find that a lot of people paid for your treatment. Why should I have contributed my taxes to your treatment?

That's why you skipped then :D

Nah - they're out there for you to find if you are that interested. What's good for the goose...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

It's just like that - except in every detail.

Oh wait. It's not.

They're not going to tell us its for the next round of bank recapitalisation anyway. Even if thats what it will be going to.

The local services angle is pure propaganda and nothing else.

• Advertisement

Jesus, I'd pay the tax on that noddy car you have just to see you driving around in it:D

That's Capt. Pugwash's car with the little portholes :D

eth0 wrote: »
    The local services angle is pure propaganda and nothing else.

'Pure propaganda' nailed down in black and white law, and overlooked by all the local authorities, eh?

That's Capt. Pugwash's car with the little portholes :D

I'd say it's quiet on the HHC thread tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

You might look again at the amount taxation subsidies the health system here. You'll find that a lot of people paid for your treatment. Why should I have contributed my taxes to your treatment?

look on the bright side Alastair. at least your HHC isnt going to be providing any services for the non payers,.
    hell, it wont even be providing services for you.....
    :)

Delirium is setting in now...

Hows that Universal Social Charge going in the UK Al?
    'Pure propaganda' nailed down in black and white law, and overlooked by all the local authorities, eh?

The poll tax was the law as well.

This argument has nothing to do with what I originally said. Why should people pay for services they don't use? Why should I pay for a public sewage and water system that I don't use? Surely people who don't use those systems and instead have paid for and provided their own should have to pay less if in fact these systems do come under the umbrella of this new property tax.

mikom wrote: »
    The poll tax was the law as well.

Yes it was - but you won't find me claiming it wasn't providing revenue to the local authority. I opposed it for what it was - not for a fiction.

This argument has nothing to do with what I originally said. Why should people pay for services they don't use? Why should I pay for a public sewage and water system that I don't use? Surely people who don't use those systems and instead have paid for and provided their own should have to pay less if in fact these systems do come under the umbrella of this new property tax.

I haven't needed hospital treatment for years - why should I have to pay for others use of those hospitals year after year? Where's my discount?!

Yes it was - but you won't find me claiming it wasn't providing revenue to the local authority. I opposed it for what it was - not for a fiction.

You opposed it for the same reasons you wouldn't make your Boatmobile roadworthy. To save money, your principle. You're codding nobody.

• Advertisement

You opposed it for the same reasons you wouldn't make your Boatmobile roadworthy. To save money, your principle. You're codding nobody.

It wouldn't have cost me any more than the council tax. Sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

I haven't needed hospital treatment for years - why should I have to pay for others use of those hospitals year after year? Where's my discount?!

Don't get too ahead of yourself. You never know when your health may fail.

+1 ignore list.

woodoo wrote: »
    Don't get too ahead of yourself. You never know when your health may fail.

I'm being facetious. I understand that paying for social services you might not make use of is not a bad thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Do people still understand shock tactics?

They'll release some outrageous figure so a charge of 20 or 40 euro a year will seem reasonable.

That the household charge is funding local authorities is a fiction...... a fiction created by the diverting of funds.

You got your five fingered discount in the UK.
    Is that not enough for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

I'd say it's quiet on the HHC thread tonight.

Funny you should that. I was thinking to myself how quiet it was over there without kr7 and al.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

mishkalucy wrote: »
    Hence the reason you would have no problem paying it, hypothetically, of course:pac:

I pay rates on my site over here and will end up paying about 2,500 NZD a year once the house is built

mikom wrote: »
    That the household charge is funding local authorities is a fiction...... a fiction created by the diverting of funds.

Sorry - try again. New taxation - solely directed towards local authority finding - no real ambiguity about what the HHC funds.

• Advertisement

Sorry - try again. New taxation - solely directed towards local authority finding

I would have thought they would have known where the local authorities were by now.
    I know the introduction of the charge has been a shambles, but I didn't know things were that bad.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement