Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Irish property tax to cost 'on average' €1000 per house.(can you afford it?)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Am Chile wrote: »
    Has anyone else got on knock on the door from a council official asking the same questions ?
    No but I did get a phonecall last week claiming to be from the ESB asking the exact same questions. I told them I don't answer personal information over the phone to people I can't identify(private number came up).

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Ghandee wrote: »
    So Cookie, how would you feel paying 2k nzd (€1295 or so) while getting no services like you listed above? Yes it works out a little more expensive than our proposed property tax, but of the authorities reduced it so it matched our 1000, with the agreement you'd pay privately for your bins (up to 600 a year) then meter your water, place a tax on your car as high as ours are, then toll the roads afterwards, then up your prsi payments per year,b yet they hardly cover you for one, single, miserable dental check up........ Would you see it as good value for money?

What tax rates do you pay on fuel? Alcohol?.ciggies?

How much is a doctors appointment? Any prescriptions that may need to be bought?

This all needs factored in too.

The stuff listed (gets you rubbish, water and all local govt services) we get too - bar refuse collection - which is nowhere near €600 for anyone - unless you an old woman who lives in a shoe?

Petrol in NZ is around €1.40 a litre, including 38.4 cents in tax.
    Petrol here is €1.51 a litre, including 50 cents in tax.

Tax on cigarettes seems to be higher in NZ - http://www.nzherald.co.nz/budget-2012/news/article.cfm?c_id=1503257&objectid=10806947

Am Chile wrote: »
    Yesterday I posted I got a knock on the door from an counil official.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=79875821&postcount=5809

Has anyone else got on knock on the door from a council official asking the same questions ?

The council aren't collecting next year's property taxes. Maybe you won't be on the electoral register though - sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

alastair wrote: »
    The stuff listed (gets you rubbish, water and all local govt services) we get too - bar refuse collection - which is nowhere near €600 for anyone - unless you an old woman who lives in a shoe?

Countryside water and septics tanks conveniently forgotten by the townmouse.
    Old woman who lives in a shoe not required.

How's their universal social charge going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

I will happily pay this new charge but only after the below has been tackled first.

TD numbers are reduced
    TD's salaries, pensions and expenses are cut to reflect this "reality" they are constantly telling us about.
    Town councillor numbers and salaries are reduced
    Social welfare rates are brought down to realistic levels
    Public service pay is brought back to a level were it is both realistic and sustainable.
    A complete breakdown of where the €100 household charge has gone and what it has been spent on "local services" isnt gonna cut it.

Talk to me when that happens enda and you might get a few squids.

• Advertisement

mikom wrote: »
    Countryside water and septics tanks conveniently forgotten by the townmouse.
    Old woman who lives in a shoe not required.

So - not paying €600 a year for refuse collection. Glad you cleared that up.

How's their universal social charge going.

Overall taxation as percentage of GDP:
    Ireland 31.1%
    New Zealand 35.1%

Jaysoose wrote: »
    I will happily pay this new charge but only after the below has been tackled first.

TD numbers are reduced
    TD's salaries, pensions and expenses are cut to reflect this "reality" they are constantly telling us about.
    Town councillor numbers and salaries are reduced
    Social welfare rates are brought down to realistic levels
    Public service pay is brought back to a level were it is both realistic and sustainable.
    A complete breakdown of where the €100 household charge has gone and what it has been spent on "local services" isnt gonna cut it.

Talk to me when that happens enda and you might get a few squids.

Or, alternatively: You'll pay those squids and the accrued late penalties when you're obliged to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Or, alternatively: You'll pay those squids and the accrued late penalties when you're obliged to.

But don't tackle the problems listed at all?

But don't tackle the problems listed at all?

Yeah - that's exactly what I said. :rolleyes:

So - not paying €600 a year for refuse collection. Glad you cleared that up.

You left it out......... I left it out.
    More jazz wordplay.

Overall taxation as percentage of GDP:
    Ireland 31.1%
    New Zealand 35.1%

Universal social charge.
    A charge is not a tax............. remember that chestnut.
    Is vrt a charge or a tax?
    The insurance levy........ a charge or tax.
    Wordplay Alistair.

• Advertisement

Universal social charge.
    A charge is not a tax............. remember that chestnut.

I remember that fantasy coming from others alright.

It's included in overall taxation. Unsurprisingly.

I remember that fantasy coming from others alright.

It's included in overall taxation. Unsurprisingly.

vrt.......insurance levy........ the services provided.......... come on Al, you've a lot more to debunk.
    Check your manual.

Nope, i will happily go to court with the other 500,000+ that didnt pay. I reckon it should take the court system a 100 years plus to get through them all and then i will pay it back €2 a week over 500 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

littlejp wrote: »
    Where are you getting that figure from?
    If I put my bins out for every single collection it would come to about €260 per year including the annual fee.

He's pulling numbers out of the sky, no proof to backup anything he says, scaremongering people with figures like €1000 per year per house. The reality is we won't know until the full details of the property tax is published in the Autumn.

Nope, i will happily go to court with the other 800,000+ that didnt pay. I reckon it should take the court system a 100 years plus to get through them all and then i will pay it back €2 a week over 500 weeks.

FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭kr7

dvpower wrote: »
    Why not outside their childrens schools? Or maybe ye could start posting suspicious parcels to them.

If your going to go down the intimidation road, you might as well go the whole way.

If the council are sending officials to peoples homes, I wouldn't see a problem picketing td's homes.

I wouldn't agree with your idea of picketing schools or sending suspicious parcels though.
    I thought you'd know better than to suggest we should do that, dv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭kr7

littlejp wrote: »
    Where are you getting that figure from?
    If I put my bins out for every single collection it would come to about €260 per year including the annual fee.

I have to pay an annual charge of €110 plus €8.50 a bin.
    1 a week brings that to €442 plus the €110 =€552.

Fingal area.

And these charges are being increased.

This is the little thing FG do. They get the word out that its going to be 1000 and then introduce a tax of 400 which is a 300 euro increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Nope, i will happily go to court with the other 500,000+ that didnt pay. I reckon it should take the court system a 100 years plus to get through them all and then i will pay it back €2 a week over 500 weeks.

I won't go as far as the courts. When Revenue take over, they'll slap all household tax defaulters with an audit.

I won't go as far as the courts. When Revenue take over, they'll slap all household tax defaulters with an audit.

800,000 of them?

• Advertisement

I'm a PAYE employee.....

What will they audit?

kr7 wrote: »
    I have to pay an annual charge of €110 plus €8.50 a bin.
    1 a week brings that to €442 plus the €110 =€552.

Fingal area.

And these charges are being increased.

Don't forget to factor in disposing of other waste, white goods etc....

(all collected by Derry county council for free in the north) well, covered by rates ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

So after all this chatter it transpires that people will get NO service for this Tax on their homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,410 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

You get the same local services that you currently get.

You now pay for them more directly.

The central Govt will give smaller grants to the LA.

Instead households will pay the LAs directly.

SUMMARY:

No extra income to the LA due to this tax.

No extra services to you due to this tax.

Less central Govt spending.

Smaller fiscal deficit.

So, by paying this tax, you are helping reduce the fiscal deficit, which we all must contribute to.

Before anybody replies:

I am sickened by the bank senior bondholders being repaid in full
    high PS pay and pensions should be reduced further
    social exp must fall

Geuze wrote: »

SUMMARY:

Smaller fiscal deficit.

Is this supposed to convince someone who currently isn't going to pay it to change their mind?

Pay extra for nothing extra:confused:

Btw, you say we'll now be paying ' more directly' does that mean income tax can be expected to fall, seeing as how this previously paid for the same services indirectly?

GHANDEE'S SUMMARY:

Pay double the amount, for the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

Geuze wrote: »

SUMMARY:

Smaller fiscal deficit.

You mean that you will now pay on top of everything else that you pay. I am also sick of it. They will tax us all out of this country and then who will pay their big salaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Is this supposed to convince someone who currently isn't going to pay it to change their mind?

Pay extra for nothing extra:confused:

Btw, you say we'll now be paying ' more directly' does that mean income tax can be expected to fall, seeing as how this previously paid for the same services indirectly?

GHANDEE'S SUMMARY:

Pay double the amount, for the same thing.

It is actually a fair summary, doesn't mean you have to like it, but it is true!

You really thought you'd get something extra for it? Really!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    It is actually a fair summary, doesn't mean you have to like it, but it is true!

You really thought you'd get something extra for it? Really!

Ok, let me try it this way.

Joe and Pat are at the bar.

Pat gives Joe €4 to get him a pint, which Joe hands to three barman, barman gives Pat a pint.

Later that evening, Joe gives Pat €4, which Pat hands to the barman, barman then asks Joe for €4 which Joe pays, then barman pours pint.

One case, someone pays indirectly for a service.
    Other case, someone pays indirectly, then directly, gets same service.

Hardly fair now, is it?

• Advertisement

The crazy high 52% MTR on average people should be reduced, yes.

Unfortunately, as the deficit is so big, I can't see it happening.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement