Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Irish property tax to cost 'on average' €1000 per house.(can you afford it?)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,416 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

darkhorse wrote: »
    You mean that you will now pay on top of everything else that you pay. I am also sick of it. They will tax us all out of this country and then who will pay their big salaries.

The overall level of tax has to rise as part of reducing the fiscal deficit.

We all have to pay more tax.

Some should be paying a lot more, some people a bit more.

But everybody must pay more tax.

Before you say it, yes, large PS pensions / wages should be cut, and yes, social welfare to people on high incomes should be cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,416 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

As taxes must rise, then the next question is, which tax causes the least harm to employment and consumer spending?

The answer is a property tax.

Higher PRSI and PAYE tend to hurt employment, lead to tax evasion.

Higher VAT is regressive.

Nobody likes higher taxes, but if we have to increase tax revenue, then choose the least painful tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭kr7

Geuze wrote: »
    So, by paying this tax, you are helping reduce the fiscal deficit, which we all must contribute to.

Before anybody replies:

I am sickened by the bank senior bondholders being repaid in full
    high PS pay and pensions should be reduced further
    social exp must fall

Why not just call a spade a spade then.

Bring in a 'reduce the fiscal deficit tax' for a few years but make everyone liable for it.

I'd have no problem with that.

I do have a problem with paying ground rent on something that I own.

As taxes must rise, then the next question is, which tax causes the least harm to employment and consumer spending?

Nobody likes higher taxes, but if we have to increase tax revenue, then choose the least painful tax.

But sure they've brought in a USC and increased VAT by 2%........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

kr7 wrote: »
    If the council are sending officials to peoples homes, I wouldn't see a problem picketing td's homes.
    Picketing TDs private homes is going to intimidate their families. There is no reason at all to do it except for the intimidation.
    I thought you'd know better than to suggest we should do that, dv.
    Don't be so silly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

I'd agree with this but...
    For the government to put the collection of this tax upon the local council's workload, and using non-payment as an excuse for cutting back on the income provided to the county council used for essential services and maintenance is not something I can agree with.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0210/1224311572885.html link describing arrears and non-payment by businesses of up to 64% in the case of business water charges in some counties.

Many councils have not displayed an ability to collect rates from reluctant businesses, so how are they doing to deal with indignant householders while the politicians simultaneously undermine any sanctions proposed for non-payment.

Politicians need to stop muddying the issue and point out what the rates will be and what powers the council will use to extract the money in the case of non-payment.
    Then the council can decide how many collection officers they will need to employ and what training they will require.

dvpower wrote: »
    Picketing TDs private homes is going to intimidate their families. There is no reason at all to do it except for the intimidation.

If that's what it takes.

My 83 year old mother was nearly in tears the other day wondering where she will get €700 or €800 next year.

What would you call that if not intimidation.

I'm quite sure that makes you happy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

ressem wrote: »
    Many councils have not displayed an ability to collect rates from reluctant businesses, so how are they doing to deal with indignant householders while the politicians simultaneously undermine any sanctions proposed for non-payment.

Politicians need to stop muddying the issue and point out what the rates will be and what powers the council will use to extract the money in the case of non-payment.
    Then the council can decide how many collection officers they will need to employ and what training they will require.

Collection is being moved over to the Revenue next year - which deals with that particular problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

So taking anything up to 1,000 euro out of someone's pocket will not effect consumer spending !!!!
    What school of economics did you attend ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

If that's what it takes.

My 83 year old mother was nearly in tears the other day wondering where she will get €700 or €800 next year.

Which TD told her she'd have to pay €700-€800?

• Advertisement

Her daughter did.

So taking anything up to 1,000 euro out of someone's pocket will not effect consumer spending !!!!
    What school of economics did you attend ?

Property taxes have a lower impact on emplyment than income tax increases - it opens up the non-PAYE sector, and removes the ability to move taxable income offshore. If this property tax was shifted to an income tax - how much would you be paying?

That's the figure out there.

This is one of the problems holding the country back, uncertainty.

It's the thing that is killing the local domestic economy, nobody knows where all these taxes will end.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

It's the thing that is killing the local domestic economy, nobody knows where all these taxes will end.

I agree. It seems to me that the Govt has problems deciding anything and are only making it up as they go along. Not very confidence inspiring.

I agree. It seems to me that the Govt has problems deciding anything and are only making it up as they go along. Not very confidence inspiring.

So, Tayto - how much would you be paying if income tax was bumped up by, say, a grand?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

is there a danger of headless chicken syndrome affecting ireland...????

She certainly shouldn't be intimidated with your stories of a €700 or €800 property tax next year.

She should wait and see what the actual tax is going to be and what income thresholds are to apply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Ah so no TD has said anything. Maybe you should tell your mother not to believe every story that's written in the media.

She certainly shouldn't be intimidated with your stories of a €700 or €800 property tax next year.

She should wait and see what the actual tax is going to be and what income thresholds are to apply.

I write for the newspapers now?

It gets better dv, fair play to you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

is there a danger of headless chicken syndrome affecting ireland...????

We already had that, it was called the Celtic Tiger in most circles. no one complained about it at the time for some reason......
    If that's what it takes.

She can pay it out of the money she doesn't have to spend because of the generous SW package pensioners get in this country. Hey, knowing our welfare state she'll be exempt anyway.

• Advertisement

We already had that, it was called the Celtic Tiger in most circles. no one complained about it at the time for some reason......

She can pay it out of the money she doesn't have to spend because of the generous SW package pensioners get in this country. Hey, knowing our welfare state she'll be exempt anyway.

the celtic tiger happens to most countries.....to a lesser or greater extent.....it is a wake up call that must be heeded.....it seems that people in ireland seem to think that it is a long term entitlement....

maybe when the dust settles there will be a realism that will creep in.....the sooner the better...

I write for the newspapers now?

I doubt you even read them.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Oh god no. Not the sinners.. I'd take bertie back at this stage. At least things always seemed jolly when he was around..

Which is precisely the kind of voting strategy, that continues to elect fúckwits to the Dáil.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Due North

Jaysus, The Property Tax will crease me altogether.Already pay Property Management fees of a grand a year.

I doubt you even read them.;)

That's right. Fair play to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

alastair wrote: »
    Collection is being moved over to the Revenue next year - which deals with that particular problem.

Thanks, so it has. That was just a statement from unnamed "senior source" the last time I read it in a paper.

I wouldn't agree that it deals with the issue, just moves it. Working with and ordering employers to withhold PAYE and PRSI percentages is a far simpler task I would think. A large swathe of the population never provides a tax form to revenue even when they could get tax refunds.

We'll have until at least September when the details of Thornhill's report are to be discussed by the cabinet.

Don Thornhill's published opinion in '08 was in favour of replacing the 8% of tax revenue raised from stamp duty with an annualised property tax, paid in installments through PAYE and ROS.
    http://donthornhill.com/the-agenda-for-tax-reform-playing-to-and-developing-our-strengths/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Did people think the €100 property tax was the future? Not a chance and the people who have paid it have been hoodwinked into registering.

Your €100 would be better spent in the economy than giving it to those incompetent civil servants and TDs who have squandered to pot. I hope you have some KY as we are about to bent over and it's not going to be fun. Yet we are being told guff that Croke Park is delivering LOL. Already over spent €250 million in the Health Department alone.

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Did people think the €100 property tax was the future? Not a chance and the people who have paid it have been hoodwinked into registering.

Your €100 would be better spent in the economy than giving it to those incompetent civil servants and TDs who have squandered to pot. I hope you have some KY as we are about to bent over and it's not going to be fun. Yet we are being told guff that Croke Park is delivering LOL. Already over spent €250 million in the Health Department alone.

like i have said somewhere before.....the croke park agreement....is the government and unions attempt to create an irish aristocracy....and it is succeeding....

alastair wrote: »
    Her daughter did.

At least her daughter is being realistic and honest unlike the liars in the dail and the government shills on here.

• Advertisement

Ghandee wrote: »
    The hypocrisy is still rife in this country.

Further proof of how our money is to be wasted....

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0724/1224320710038.html

I have my suspicions some of them spend most of their time on here spouting FG/Lab propaganda.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement