Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Irish property tax to cost 'on average' €1000 per house.(can you afford it?)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

kr7 wrote: »
    Sure that's ok then.:rolleyes:

Surely she has a 'beneficial interest', to coin a phrase used by pro-taxers, in the property....

She might do. But it seems like she had no involvement in it and possibly didn't even know anything about it.
    Ghandee wrote: »
    Your some craic....

Wonder if she reported the husband for paying cash, you know, not 'putting it through the books'.?

That's money that didn't make it into the coffers of which she receives her salary from.

:pac:

Sorry to let facts get in the way of one of your rants.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

And she should pay her train fares too instead of abusing the ticket collector.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

She might do. But it seems like she had no involvement in it and possibly didn't even know anything about it.

To coin a phrase from Father Ted.......... "Her arse was only resting in the jacuzzi."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

These threads are full of this sort of stuff. "I will pay my taxes when..." "I won't pay that charge because..." etc. etc.

You don't get to stipulate the conditions under which you will obey particular laws. The best you can hope for is that enough people agree with your views to elect a set of politicians to enact laws the way you want them.

thats the problem DX, whatever it is about politics in this country, it seems to attract the sort of cnuts that are only in it for themselves, and they have it all sown up. there is practically no difference between the main parties in this country aside from name.
    And very few ordinary people can beat the party machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

You don't get to stipulate the conditions under which you will obey particular laws. The best you can hope for is that enough people agree with your views to elect a set of politicians to enact laws the way you want them.

I only speed when I'm late for mass

The by the book way of doing things isn't working, because politicians as soon as they get in break their promises and start pandering to Europe (or the Yanks as Sean Sherlock did) so one has to improvise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Sorry to let facts get in the way of one of your rants.

Chucky, I present to you the 'facts'.
    The tradesman claimed that in addition to works on their home he began a refurbishment of their garage which Ms Healy Eames was eager to complete for use as a Fine Gael boardroom.

He claimed that when additional costs were taken into account including work done on the garage he was owed in the region of €23,000.
    Today Judge McCabe found in his favour and awarded him €12,412.97. Ruling in favour of Mr Allen, Judge McCabe said; “The fact that the defendant tried to rewrite the contract and force the plaintiff to accept a new deal at less than the agreed price speaks for itself.” Earlier the court heard from Senator Healy Eames who dismissed claims that she was building a Fine Gael boardroom in her garage as “a terrible thing to say”. Mr Eames had claimed that he had never requested the work on the garage to go ahead. Today Judge McCabe said it would have been “unthinkable” for a contractor to do such work on spec. Judge McCabe also dismissed claims from Mr Eames that he had requested Mr Allen to continue the job, stating that a letter sent to that effect was simply a “set up letter”. Judge McCabe added that in his mind Mr Eames had no real intention to allow Mr Allen continue the job.

The court also heard evidence from Gerry Slattery, who finished the job after Mr Allen was thrown off site. It heard that the young plumber was not VAT or tax registered at the time and had been paid in cash by Mr Eames.

Wonder what the tax man was defrauded on, (on average?)

Jeysus !!! FG people wouldn't behave like that surely. They are the party that promised to stamp out corruption.

Jeysus !!! FG people wouldn't behave like that surely. They are the party that promised to stamp out corruption.

Well Tayto, I'm just glad the term tax defaulter/evader won't get bandied about this thread again.

We're following the examples of the elected members of govt.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

bgrizzley wrote: »
    thats the problem DX, whatever it is about politics in this country, it seems to attract the sort of cnuts that are only in it for themselves, and they have it all sown up. there is practically no difference between the main parties in this country aside from name.

Everybody should realise then that there is no chance of the Household Charge legislation being abolished. The TD's supporting CAHWT have to appear to be against all spending cuts and higher taxes to give themselves any chance of being re-elected. If they ever got in government themselves (highly unlikely) they would have to face the realities of being in power.

In the long run their campaign and so called legal teams will not be around to help the people they led into breaking the law whenever the inevitable consequences are visited on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Throw a dart at a map of the world. Whatever country you hit, they'll have the same complaint.

Truth is it doesn't matter, its the shower of shites in the civil service calling the shots. Same story everywhere you go. And I don't recall voting for them either.

Doc's prognosis: this will not end well.

PS: stick your property tax up your hole, bankers. I rent from no man and I've earned that right the hard way.

• Advertisement

Everybody should realise then that there is no chance of the Household Charge legislation being abolished. The TD's supporting CAHWT have to appear to be against all spending cuts and higher taxes to give themselves any chance of being re-elected. If they ever got in government themselves (highly unlikely) they would have to face the realities of being in power.

In the long run their campaign and so called legal teams will not be around to help the people they led into breaking the law whenever the inevitable consequences are visited on them.

Well with 800,000+ the inevitable will prob be sometime in 2096.
    The average court case takes how long to reach a judge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

These threads are full of this sort of stuff. "I will pay my taxes when..." "I won't pay that charge because..." etc. etc.

Its funny you should mention that, but
    We thought
    Ah, dos'ent matter know, It was just some things they said. Why do ya bleedin think they got a majority.:mad::mad::mad:

Ask Fidelma Healy Eames.

darkhorse wrote: »
    Its funny you should mention that, but
    We thought
    Ah, dos'ent matter know, It was just some things they said. Why do ya bleedin think they got a majority.:mad::mad::mad:

You will get another chance in 2016. Maybe Donegal will elect all Sinn Fein. But don't hold your breath for them to do away with any taxes if they get into government.

mikom wrote: »
    Ask Fidelma Healy Eames.

You could never trust those double-barreled names in politics. Conor Cruise O'Brien, Fidelma Healey Eames !!!!

You could never trust those double-barreled names in politics. Conor Cruise O'Brien, Fidelma Healey Eames !!!!

Phil Ho gan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

oh but it will be abolished, because history has shown that when thoughts drift to re election you can definitely count on politicians to do one thing. anything for power

mikom wrote: »
    Phil Ho gan.

Jackie Healy Rae another one.

Everyone one of them will be dead long before that. The money will be collected from their estate. Or more likely on the sale of the property before that. Or more likely again people will get used to the idea of a property tax just like in other countries and there will only be the normal non compliance as with any law and that will be manageable.

DX has yet to declare why this tax being collected is of such personal interest to him?

I have said why I am so opposed of it, but I dont think he has ever came straight out and said what his vested interest is in it being collected?

Would he care to tell us why? Is it just because its 'the law'?

• Advertisement

Everyone one of them will be dead long before that. The money will be collected from their estate. Or more likely on the sale of the property before that. Or more likely again people will get used to the idea of a property tax just like in other countries and there will only be the normal non compliance as with any law and that will be manageable.

An individual who breaks a law that conscience tells him is unjust, and who willingly accepts the penalty of imprisonment in order to arouse the conscience of the community over its injustice, is in reality expressing the highest respect for the law.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.
    Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/m/martin_luther_king_jr.html#mLAxqLi3t2GbvRSQ.99

Everyone one of them will be dead long before that. The money will be collected from their estate.

Well at least I will have succeded in sticking to my principles, and I will not have paid ground rent on my property.
    Or more likely on the sale of the property before that.

My house is a home, not something to be sold on like a used car.

Or more likely again people will get used to the idea of a property tax just like in other countries and there will only be the normal non compliance as with any law and that will be manageable.

Keep telling yourself that, 100euro to rise to one thousand?

The uproar of the already stretched public will be far from 'manageable', book mark this post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

You will get another chance in 2016. Maybe Donegal will elect all Sinn Fein. But don't hold your breath for them to do away with any taxes if they get into government.

You are correct on that one. As a matter of fact, I have a feeling that it will not just Donegal that will put in S.F.
    You do know, by the way, that F.G. were totally against a tax on peoples homes, when they were in opposition. But thats only one thing that they changed opinions after they got elected. As a previous poster said, its really just an extension of F.F.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Can't afford it and won't be paying it.

oh but it will be abolished, because history has shown that when thoughts drift to re election you can definitely count on politicians to do one thing. anything for power

As far as I know we are the only country to abolish an existing property tax, Fianna Fail in 1977 and it did buy Jack Lynch the election that year. Up till then domestic rates supplied about 66% of local government spending.

Things have been problematical on that front since. Income tax mostly had to make up for that missing revenue stream, covered up by extra stamp duty for some years now almost completely gone as well. I don't think any incoming government would be stupid enough to do away with that revenue stream again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭kr7

Enda fcuking kenny........

darkhorse wrote: »
    You are correct on that one. As a matter of fact, I have a feeling that it will not just Donegal that will put in S.F.
    You do know, by the way, that F.G. were totally against a tax on peoples homes, when they were in opposition. But thats only one thing that they changed opinions after they got elected. As a previous poster said, its really just an extension of F.F.

One of the Donegal constituencies will be combined with a bit of Cavan. Maybe that will inject a bit of fiscal sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Facts that have nothing to do with Fidelma Healy Eames though. That point seems to have by-passed you again.

Facts that have nothing to do with Fidelma Healy Eames though. That point seems to have by-passed you again.

A bit like your sense of reality Mr Average.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭kr7

You keep thinking that chucky......LOL

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement