Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Irish property tax to cost 'on average' €1000 per house.(can you afford it?)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

K-9 wrote: »
    FG abolished the property tax in 1997, hence the quotes about an unfair property tax from Kenny et al.

you sure K9? think ff brought it in and binned it.
    Bertie is takin credit for it anyway lol

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/ahern-admits-abolishing-property-tax-was-mistake-but-blames-media-119358.html

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

bgrizzley wrote: »
    you sure K9? think ff brought it in and binned it.
    Bertie is takin credit for it anyway lol

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/ahern-admits-abolishing-property-tax-was-mistake-but-blames-media-119358.html
    Mr Ahern had previously introduced the tax as finance minister and said this weekend: "The media hammered me on that. RTÉ hammered me on it saying it was terrible. But if we had to have kept it there, it would have kept down the bubble.

"I suppose coming into the 1997 general election, every party decided not to have it, but that was a mistake. We should have stuck to it. I tried to bring it in and those who stopped it should now get down and say, mea culpa – they were wrong. I haven’t seen any of them doing that yet."

Fair enough. I would agree with his point, it was a very unpopular tax.

FF introduced an unpopular property tax, Enda Kenny and FG opposed it, their manifesto and Enda quotes has been quoted on this thread.

I've no problem with you digging out evidence Kenny did say a property tax was unfair.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

K-9 wrote: »
    Fair enough. I would agree with his point, it was a very unpopular tax.

FF introduced an unpopular property tax, Enda Kenny and FG opposed it, their manifesto and Enda quotes has been quoted on this thread.

I've no problem with you digging out evidence Kenny did say a property tax was unfair.

can't find evidence of the quote proving or disproving, read somewhere that SF dug it up, still priceless though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

bgrizzley wrote: »
    can't find evidence of the quote proving or disproving, read somewhere that SF dug it up, still priceless though. :)

Edited my post for bad wording. I would not be surprised Kenny was against the property tax, I'd bet on it.

Joe Higgins wasn't slow in canvassing 2 car households in his bye election for the 1997 bye election, in the Castleknock area over bin charges. Middle class couples buying bin labels was a very important issue to Joe then.

Joe knows how to use the Bourgeois classes.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 WJOS

And people who will be expected to pay for services that they don't use.
    Couldn't agree more I wonder how any people who are so Vehemently against this Tax are Actually Exempt ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

kr7 wrote: »
    Here we go again with the bull****e car tax argument.

How many times.....

Once more though.

If you own a motor vehicle you pay the motor tax directly for that vehicle.

If you don't own a vehicle and you use public transport (buses, taxi's etc.)you pay the motor tax indirectly for that vehicle as it is factored into the fare you pay.

Ahhhh.
    Using your argument I pay somebody elses income tax because it is factored into the charge I pay as a customer somewhere. :rolleyes:

BTW, regarding the property tax, I'll pay it when every household in the country is liable for it, not a moment sooner.

Ehh sunshine get it through your head that a property tax is a tax on property not a tax on households.
    Thus if you don't own property you won't be liable.
    So not every household in the country should be liable for a property tax.

And the households of all the little would be property magnates that sprung up during the bubble will be liable for many property taxes. :p

Think of it like this...
    Since you didn't get my reference to car tax I will use another analogy.
    If I don't own a dog I don't pay a dog license.
    Using your mindset you would expect the kids next door who play with your dog to help pay for your dog license.

BTW using your argument above non property owners could be said to be indirectly paying it through rent to the owner of the property they are renting.
    Of course the rental market will dictate whether landlords can just lump the tax onto tenants by upping the rents.

What we have at the moment is not really a true property tax and it being labelled as a household charge has mudded the waters.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

jmayo wrote: »
    Ahhhh.
    Using your argument I pay somebody elses income tax because it is factored into the charge I pay as a customer somewhere. :rolleyes:

Ehh sunshine get it through your head that a property tax is a tax on property not a tax on households.

And the households of all the little would be property magnates that sprung up during the bubble will be liable for many property taxes. :p

Think of it like this...
    Using your mindset you would expect the kids next door who play with your dog to help pay for your dog license.

BTW using your argument above non property owners could be said to be indirectly paying it through rent to the owner of the property they are renting.
    Of course the rental market will dictate whether landlords can just lump the tax onto tenants by upping the rents.

What we have at the moment is not really a true property tax and it being labelled as a household charge has mudded the waters.

The property tax is 'Ring fenced' for local authority services.

Services that dog owners, car owners, budgie owners, la housing tenants, property owners ALL use.

If the dog license fee was ear marked to provide communal dog baths, watering stations and pooper scoopers on the street, yet we all had to pay to provide this service (dog owner or not) via a dog would that be fair?

You see the flaw in your argument?

Ghandee wrote: »
    The property tax is 'Ring fenced' for local authority services.

Services that dog owners, car owners, budgie owners, la housing tenants, property owners ALL use.

If the dog license fee was ear marked to provide communal dog baths, watering stations and pooper scoopers on the street, yet we all had to pay to provide this service (dog owner or not) via a dog would that be fair?

You see the flaw in your argument?

Do you think that everyone should be got to pay in say with something like Thatchers Poll tax ?
    Do you think every household should pay ?

Then how do you determine a rich household from a poor one, a household which actually owns the property and one which only has the use of it and will never benefit from the ownership of the asset ?

Do people actually think that a property tax should be forced on people who don't own any property ?

And any true property tax is based on the value of the property, not a flat rate as we have with the household charge.

BTW hosueholders will be caught for local services anyway when they are paying water rates and refuse charges, etc.

I just don't understand how people can't fooking grasp the idea of what a property tax is.

Almost every other country has property taxes.

It was yet another example of fianna fail buying elections that resulted in us removing the last one that was applicable to residential property and like everything once something is given it is fooking impossible to take it back.
    See medical cards for ALL over 70s as another example of buying elections.

Of course our governments decided that a tax on property transactions, stamp duty, was easier to implement that facing up to fact that there should be annual property taxes.

Do you think every household should pay ?

No, only the households that avail of the 'services' this is collected for.
    Then how do you determine a rich household from a poor one, a household which actually owns the property and one which only has the use of it and will never benefit from the ownership of the asset ?

How did they determine between a rich household and a poor one with the HHC?

Do people actually think that a property tax should be forced on people who don't fooking own any property ?

Doubt it, thats why I'd be in favour of domestic rates. (which provide services)
    And any true property tax is based on the value of the property, not a flat rate as we have with the household charge.

Its still a tax (ground rent) for owning your own home, a home thats been paid for/is being paid for, and which you already pay for all the services it receives, be it via directly to a service provider, (Thorntons/Oxygen, Emergency services, etc etc) and via USC, Income tax and VAT

BTW hosueholders will be caught for local services anyway when they are paying water rates and refuse charges, etc.

Exactly, someone finally gets it. Hence why I wont pay twice.
    I just don't understand how people can't fooking grasp the idea of what a property tax is.

Oh I grasp it alright, the govt want to place a tax on my property, to provide local services, many of which are non existent, the others I aleardy paid for both directly and indirectly (as you yourself say above ^^)

Almost every other country has property taxes.

Are we sheep in Ireland?
    Almost every other country in the worlld drive on the right hand side of the road, should we start switching to that too? :confused:

It was yet another example of fianna fail buying elections that resulted in us removing the last one that was applicable to residential property and like everything once something is given it is fooking impossible to take it back.
    See medical cards for ALL over 70s as another example of buying elections.

Of course our governments decided that a tax on property transactions, stamp duty, was easier to implement that facing up to fact that there should be annual property taxes.

All of these things were ok with the FG party at one stage, Enda actually lobbied against it whenever he was in opposition FFS. Here's a bit of literature Enda printed off back in the day.

Remember, this was produced by the Fine Gael Party, not by anyone else.

http://irishelectionliterature.wordpress.com/2010/01/16/they-will-tax-the-roof-over-your-head-fine-gael-anti-property-tax-leaflet-1994/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭kr7

Ahhhh.

Think of it like this...

'sunshine'? LOL.

No, only the households that avail of the 'services' this is collected for.

How did they determine between a rich household and a poor one with the HHC?

Doubt it, thats why I'd be in favour of domestic rates. (which provide services)

Its still a tax (ground rent) for owning your own home, a home thats been paid for/is being paid for, and which you already pay for all the services it receives, be it via directly to a service provider, (Thorntons/Oxygen, Emergency services, etc etc) and via USC, Income tax and VAT

Exactly, someone finally gets it. Hence why I wont pay twice.

Oh I grasp it alright, the govt want to place a tax on my property, to provide local services, many of which are non existent, the others I aleardy paid for both directly and indirectly (as you yourself say above ^^)

What are you willing to ACCEPT ?
    Do you think that you should have to pay no more taxes ?
    BTW who do you think are the ones that should pay more taxes ?

Should everyone pay water rates even if they are not connected to the public water system ?

Should everyone pay a septic tank inspection tax/fee ?

I think people are getting hung up on this notion that property taxes are meant to be a form of service tax for local services.
    The problem is the way the government are selling this and the quick introduction of the flat household charge mucked it up even more.

People have complained about household charge saying that it was unfair since everyone was made pay the same.
    Then when a real property tax is porposed based on valuation, property owners are complaining since it doesn't penalise those who don't own any property.

The way I see it, a property tax is an asset tax pure and simple.

I would say that once property taxes are brought in stamp duty should be decreased as it would be double taxation.
    Also there is argument that if one paid massive stamp duty on a normal home then one should pay lower property taxes for a few years.

These won't happen since we are so fooked and there will be no lowering of taxes.
    Are we sheep in Ireland?
    Almost every other country in the worlld drive on the right hand side of the road, should we start switching to that too? :confused:

Yeah taxes and what side of the road you drive on are the related.

Ask donie cassidy what side we should drive on. :(
    All of these things were ok with the FG party at one stage, Enda actually lobbied against it whenever he was in opposition FFS. Here's a bit of literature Enda printed off back in the day.

Remember, this was produced by the Fine Gael Party, not by anyone else.

http://irishelectionliterature.wordpress.com/2010/01/16/they-will-tax-the-roof-over-your-head-fine-gael-anti-property-tax-leaflet-1994/

Do you grasp the basics of politics ?
    Polticans promise things and then when they find themselves in power they realise they can't deliver on them.
    Believing in political manifestos is akin to believing in fairytales.

The real fooking problems are caused when they start, ala bertie or lynch, delivering on their promsies even the outlandish ones.

What are you willing to ACCEPT ?
    Do you think that you should have to pay no more taxes ?
    BTW who do you think are the ones that should pay more taxes ?

Should everyone pay water rates even if they are not connected to the public water system ?

Should everyone pay a septic tank inspection tax/fee ?

I think people are getting hung up on this notion that property taxes are meant to be a form of service tax for local services.
    The problem is the way the government are selling this and the quick introduction of the flat household charge mucked it up even more.

People have complained about household charge saying that it was unfair since everyone was made pay the same.
    Then when a real property tax is porposed based on valuation, property owners are complaining since it doesn't penalise those who don't own any property.

The way I see it, a property tax is an asset tax pure and simple.

I would say that once property taxes are brought in stamp duty should be decreased as it would be double taxation.
    Also there is argument that if one paid massive stamp duty on a normal home then one should pay lower property taxes for a few years.

These won't happen since we are so fooked and there will be no lowering of taxes.

Yeah taxes and what side of the road you drive on are the related.

Ask donie cassidy what side we should drive on. :(

Do you grasp the basics of politics ?
    Polticans promise things and then when they find themselves in power they realise they can't deliver on them.
    Believing in political manifestos is akin to believing in fairytales.

The real fooking problems are caused when they start, ala bertie or lynch, delivering on their promsies even the outlandish ones.

Surely an 'asset tax' such as this will discourage home ownership and encourage people to seek out alternatives such as LA housing, thus increasing the pressure on LA's to provide same.

FFS at the rate we're going, people would be better off not owning anything and depending on the state to look after them.

All these new taxes are for short term gain with no thought for the long term.

My son has just graduated from college with his degree and I wouldn't encourage him to buy property here at any time in the near future, in fact I'd be encouraging him to get the **** away from Ireland before it drags him down.

No country for our youngest and brightest.

For shame!

Very quiet here today!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

Very quiet here today!

the ps do not work on the weekends, all one has on the weekends are the unemployed (able) and the disabled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

flutered wrote: »
    the ps do not work on the weekends, all one has on the weekends are the unemployed (able) and the disabled.

Which category does that put you in.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

both

More details on Hogans reckless spending in todays Indo.

€9000 in a 24 hour period?
    ENVIRONMENT Minister Phil Hogan racked up a €9,000 bill on a 24-hour taxpayer-funded trip to Luxembourg, the Sunday Independent can reveal.

Mr Hogan and four senior department officials jetted into Luxembourg on business class fights and stayed in a luxurious five-star hotel to attend a one-day European Council meeting.

During his stay in June last year, Mr Hogan bought a €47 round of drinks which should have been subtracted from his expenses, but was not deducted until the Sunday Independent queried the charge.

The department said it was an 'administrative error' which will be rectified in the minister's next expenses claim.

The delegation that included senior civil servants clocked up €6,698 on flights alone to Luxembourg.

Details of the state-funded jaunt were released by the Department of the Environment, Community and Local Government under the Freedom of Information Act.

Before leaving Dublin on June 20 last year, Mr Hogan and one of his special advisers paid €48 to relax in the airport's VIP lounge.

Mr Hogan flew out of Dublin on an Air France flight at 5.15pm and after a brief stopover in Amsterdam landed at Luxembourg Airport around 10pm.

Mr Hogan and his entourage checked into the Le Royal Hotel in central Luxembourg, where the travel weary politician paid €47.10 for 'beverages' in the hotel's bar. A department spokesman said the round of drinks was bought at the minister's own expense and should have been deducted from his expenses.

"Generally what would happen is when a minister is reconciling his claims that money would be deducted from his claim by his private secretary," he said.

"On this occasion his private secretary did not do that. It should have been deducted from his claim and it will be deducted from his next one."

The delegation, which included the minister's assistant secretary, private secretary and a principal officer, stayed in the hotel's €182-a-night executive rooms.

Following a morning of meetings, Mr Hogan headed back to Luxembourg Airport and travelled business class to Dublin via Paris at 4.35pm.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/phil-hogan-runs-up-9000-expenses-on-oneday-trip-3182656.html

Hogan likes the high life, usually at someone elses expense (in this case the tax payers) even a relitavely paltry sum of €47 (paltry to him on his salary) was only deducted from his expense claim once challenged about it by the newspaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

Do people actually think that a property tax should be forced on people who don't own any property ?

Yes. Tax based on residency, to pay for local services. Like council tax in the uk, which I pay in my rented property in London.

It will end up a little like that anyway, as the tax, or at least some of it, is passed through to tenants.

I was forced to move, due to lack of good career opportunities in Ireland. So had to rent out my house. I have already agreed with my tenants an increase to kick in when property tax kicks in. On the basis that they are using the local services that this is supposedly ring fenced for. I sure ain't paying tax in England and Ireland!

Mortgage holders are being taxed through increases in their mortgage rates way above ECB, to cover bank losses. That is a tax in all but name, so they are already doing their piece. It's about time tenants stepped up to the plate and actually started to contribute themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

steve9859 wrote: »
    Yes. Tax based on residency, to pay for local services. Like council tax in the uk, which I pay in my rented property in London.

It will end up a little like that anyway, as the tax, or at least some of it, is passed through to tenants.

I was forced to move, due to lack of good career opportunities in Ireland. So had to rent out my house. I have already agreed with my tenants an increase to kick in when property tax kicks in. On the basis that they are using the local services that this is supposedly ring fenced for. I sure ain't paying tax in England and Ireland!

Mortgage holders are being taxed through increases in their mortgage rates way above ECB, to cover bank losses. That is a tax in all but name, so they are already doing their piece. It's about time tenants stepped up to the plate and actually started to contribute themselves.

Mortgage interest is not a tax it is a function of the cost of money and ECB is not a rate at which banks can procure money in the real world. And whatever people have to complain about these days compared to most of the last 50 years it surely can't be mortgage interest rates. How about mortgage rates of 18% and rising like peope had to face in the past.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2011/0322/1224292769936.html

• Advertisement

Mortgage interest is not a tax it is a function of the cost of money and ECB is not a rate at which banks can procure money in the real world. And whatever people have to complain about these days compared to most of the last 50 years it surely can't be mortgage interest rates. How about mortgage rates of 18% and rising like peope had to face in the past.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/opinion/2011/0322/1224292769936.html

It is not only a reflection of cost of funds....it also includes a margin to cover bank losses....that is primarily why AIB and others are raising rates...not the cost of funds. Hence equating the recent increase it to a tax on mortgage holders.

• Price of gas set to increase. (which itself attracts double taxation)
    • Mortgage rates going up to some mortgage holders.
    • Attempt to place a tax on already struggling home owners of up to €1000. (for services already paid for)

This isn't going to end well.

• Price of gas set to increase. (which itself attracts double taxation)
    • Mortgage rates going up to some mortgage holders.
    • Attempt to place a tax on already struggling home owners of up to €1000. (for services already paid for)

This isn't going to end well.

Your right there Ghandee, it's a bit like the property bubble only now it's called a tax bubble, eventually all these new taxes will stretch people to breaking point and the results will not be pretty.

I can see massive mortgage and personal loan defaults because the people blame the banks for most of the country's woes.

As for the property tax, well roll on next year, it'll be interesting to watch this government trying to screw up the domestic economy even more by trying to take a reported €1.6 billion off already hard pressed home owners.

Amateurs, with no answers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

More details on Hogans reckless spending in todays Indo.

€9000 in a 24 hour period?

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/phil-hogan-runs-up-9000-expenses-on-oneday-trip-3182656.html

Hogan likes the high life, usually at someone elses expense (in this case the tax payers) even a relitavely paltry sum of €47 (paltry to him on his salary) was only deducted from his expense claim once challenged about it by the newspaper.

How come Phil Hogan gets away with so much, any other politician would have been fecked out of it a long time ago over this. What about the passport sales thing, how did that go down so quietly?

Everytime he gets caught out he just goes quiet for a while and eventually resurfaces to give his threat of the day/week

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭maddragon

eth0 wrote: »
    How come Phil Hogan gets away with so much, any other politician would have been fecked out of it a long time ago over this. What about the passport sales thing, how did that go down so quietly?

Everytime he gets caught out he just goes quiet for a while and eventually resurfaces to give his threat of the day/week

You're joking right. We have politicians who solicited rent boys, known fraudsters and tax evaders as sitting TDs. Phil, while among the most incompetent and arrogant prxcks to ever sit in cabinet is small fry compared to some others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

On average can be very misleading.

Jesus H Christ. :rolleyes:

So even when its 'average Joe' that can be misleading, because then their will be a minority paying less, or the majority paying more?

Expected nothing less from you chucky tbh.

The translation of the above meaning 'I don't know Leaving Cert level statistics'

I never understand why people wear their lack of knowledge like a badge of honour...

eth0 wrote: »

I would say that delegations from all round Europe were at that meeting in Luxembourg and they all had to stay in hotels and eat. We have a system where the expenditure involved can be made available to our media and some of them publish things like this as some big shock horror scoop if that is what you mean by being caught out. Analysis of the actual figures for the numbers involved would probably show up nothing very shocking and would be much in line with other countries.

The passport sales thing was in the 1990's and rather than going down quietly it is brought up all the time by people trying to link it to the Household Charge for their own purposes.

Your right there Ghandee, it's a bit like the property bubble only now it's called a tax bubble, eventually all these new taxes will stretch people to breaking point and the results will not be pretty.

I can see massive mortgage and personal loan defaults because the people blame the banks for most of the country's woes.

As for the property tax, well roll on next year, it'll be interesting to watch this government trying to screw up the domestic economy even more by trying to take a reported €1.6 billion off already hard pressed home owners.

Amateurs, with no answers.

It is going to turn into a straight choice for many between paying the mortgage, that might have gone up by €100 or more a month, and paying the household charge of maybe €100 a month. it is going to be one or the other. You are talking a couple of grand a year taken off mortgage payers....that's like well over 5% of net income for most mortgage payers....in addition to what has been taken so far. And that can't last.....

The passport sales thing was in the 1990's and rather than going down quietly it is brought up all the time by people trying to link it to the Household Charge for their own purposes.

Eh, more 'fibs' DX? The net is full of facts, statistics, and links.....

It happened a hell of a lot more recently than the '1990's'.....

How's about as recently as Feb 2008? (four and a half years ago)

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/fine-gael-td-got-passports-for-foreigners-phil-hogan-admits-helping-in-sale-to-foreign-nationals-but-doesnt-know-who-they-were-1286382.html

Are you sure you've no connection or affiliation with any political party?

You've cast doubt in my moons with that earlier claim now .....

• Advertisement

Eh, more 'fibs' DX? The net is full of facts, statistics, and links.....

It happened a hell of a lot more recently than the '1990's'.....

How's about as recently as Feb 2008? (four and a half years ago)

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/fine-gael-td-got-passports-for-foreigners-phil-hogan-admits-helping-in-sale-to-foreign-nationals-but-doesnt-know-who-they-were-1286382.html

Are you sure you've no connection or affiliation with any political party?

You've cast doubt in my moons with that earlier claim now .....

Just because the story was published in 2008 it does not mean the events referred to happened in 2008. How could he have used the scheme in 2008 if it was abolished in 1998, did you read the actual story?

Prior to its abolition in 1998, by former Justice Minister John O'Donoghue, the controversial programme allowed foreign nationals to take up Irish citizenship in return for making substantial investments in Irish-based businesses.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement