Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Irish property tax to cost 'on average' €1000 per house.(can you afford it?)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Just because the story was published in 2008 it does not mean the events referred to happened in 2008. How could he have used the scheme in 2008 if it was abolished in 1998, did you read the actual story?

Prior to its abolition in 1998, by former Justice Minister John O'Donoghue, the controversial programme allowed foreign nationals to take up Irish citizenship in return for making substantial investments in Irish-based businesses.

Sorry, yes I read the article (several times) the 'ten days ago' interview along with the publish date of 2008 completely misled me.

I stand corrected.

Sorry.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

Ghandee wrote: »
    More details on Hogans reckless spending in todays Indo.

€9000 in a 24 hour period?

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/phil-hogan-runs-up-9000-expenses-on-oneday-trip-3182656.html

Hogan likes the high life, usually at someone elses expense (in this case the tax payers) even a relitavely paltry sum of €47 (paltry to him on his salary) was only deducted from his expense claim once challenged about it by the newspaper.
    I remember some people saying when FF were removed that Ireland now had a chance to change things.Some people were expecting to see change when they voted for FG. Its sad to say that nothing has changed. If anything, things have got worse. We expect thievery from FF. While we know FG are not perfect, we did expect some kind of change in the way things work.

Phil Hogan is one of the worst members of FG when it comes to FF like behavior. The soft loans from INBS, his refusal to take a paycut, The money he blew on a jaunt to Brazil, his refusal to pay a property tax/charge in Portugal and now we have him spending €9000 on a day trip. Somehow FG wonder why people are refusing to pay the household tax, when they see wasters like this wasting money then I dont see how people have any other option than not to pay.

Remember, Hogan is one of Enda's leading supporters, just behind James "Botter The Defaulter" Reilly. Its clear that Enda does not care about Ireland, its more jobs for the boys and look after his mates.

Shame on Labour for putting up with this nonsense, but look on the bright side, Some people are finally copping on this government is the exact same as the last

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

kr7 wrote: »
    Surely an 'asset tax' such as this will discourage home ownership and encourage people to seek out alternatives such as LA housing, thus increasing the pressure on LA's to provide same.

WTF.
    I suppose we must not put anything that might make property ownership unattractive. :rolleyes:

Ever thought that if this was done back in 2002 we might be in the s***e we are in today.
    FFS at the rate we're going, people would be better off not owning anything and depending on the state to look after them.

That is another fooking debate.
    All these new taxes are for short term gain with no thought for the long term.

You do know that these taxes are there to try and make up for the fact we are overspending money we don't have.
    Even if we do bring in cuts we need to up taxation.
    My son has just graduated from college with his degree and I wouldn't encourage him to buy property here at any time in the near future, in fact I'd be encouraging him to get the **** away from Ireland before it drags him down.

first time I would agree with your comments.
    This country is doomed because we have one bunch who think we can keep on spending money we don't have and another who think that taxes should not apply to them but to others.
    flutered wrote: »
    the ps do not work on the weekends, all one has on the weekends are the unemployed (able) and the disabled.

Just because someone doesn't post here doesn't mean they are public sector.
    Some of us just have a life that doesn't revole around wasting time discussing sh** with strangers on the internet at the weekend.
    steve9859 wrote: »
    Yes. Tax based on residency, to pay for local services. Like council tax in the uk, which I pay in my rented property in London.

And does the property owner also pay a tax on their property ?
    steve9859 wrote: »
    Mortgage holders are being taxed through increases in their mortgage rates way above ECB, to cover bank losses. That is a tax in all but name, so they are already doing their piece. It's about time tenants stepped up to the plate and actually started to contribute themselves.

Oh FFS now someone sees paying their mortgage as equivalent to tax. :rolleyes:
    You are paying off your bloody asset, not contributing to the exchaequer.

You know what I see in your post ?
    I see someone who sees it as the function of their tenants to pay off their once overpriced asset.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

K-9 wrote: »
    FG abolished the property tax in 1997, hence the quotes about an unfair property tax from Kenny et al.

No they didn't. Jack Lynch's government abolished rates.

• Price of gas set to increase. (which itself attracts double taxation)
    • Mortgage rates going up to some mortgage holders.
    • Attempt to place a tax on already struggling home owners of up to €1000. (for services already paid for)

This isn't going to end well.

It'll end with us paying the same sorts of taxes as most of nour neighbours. You might not like it, but it's your new reality.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

jmayo wrote: »

And does the property owner also pay a tax on their property ?

They pay a tax where they live (along with stamp duty on this place as well, obviously).....that's my whole point. Every single person should pay tax where they live. Not homeowners get screwed and tenants not contribute (well, mine are, but that is just down to the specific rental agreement)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

alastair wrote: »
    It'll end with us paying the same sorts of taxes as most of nour neighbours. You might not like it, but it's your new reality.

No it won't be the same. They get services and do not have separate charges like we have for bin collection etc. We will pay more for less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

jmayo wrote: »

Oh FFS now someone sees paying their mortgage as equivalent to tax. :rolleyes:
    You are paying off your bloody asset, not contributing to the exchaequer.

You know what I see in your post ?
    I see someone who sees it as the function of their tenants to pay off their once overpriced asset.

That is just disingenuous, and you know it. I drew the distinction between paying cost of funds plus margin and the extra piece that is being put on to pay for the defaults of others and the bad lending of the banks, which i equated to a tax (a hole which should be filled through general taxation, not an extra half point on mortgage rates)

My asset, as you put it, was bought over twelve years ago, and in a prime location. Not in negative equity, and I'm happy enough. That's not the point....the point is that a tax based on residency, to which everybody contributes, is much more fair

No it won't be the same. They get services and do not have separate charges like we have for bin collection etc. We will pay more for less.

I don't even bother arguing anymore with him Tayto.

(he never brought me a stick of rock back from his week away either :mad:)

You'll be paying less than them for fewer services. When the day arrives that we're paying the same taxes as out neighbours - you can lobby for similar services. Quite a few countries have privatised refuse collection services in any case: Italy, Luxembourg, Germany etc, etc.

• Advertisement

What week away was that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭kr7

There's only one answer Ghandee, don't feed the troll and he'll go away.

It's the same on the HHC thread, if dv's not been fed he doesn't bother posting.

They'll get fed up eventually and head back to the OO thread.

What week away was that?

Were you on a sabbatical ?

It's the same on the HHC thread, if dv's not been fed he doesn't bother posting.

I'm here to stay. Can't be having your misinformation left unchecked.

Were you down south for the party Alestair ?
    http://www.independent.ie/national-n...y-3182672.html

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I just love the way that property related threads reach a point where anyone that does not agree with the property owning types end up getting labelled as whingers, begrudgers, trolls, etc.

It has happened in threads about section 23 bailouts, the property is on the up and here it is again.

Face it folks property taxes are going to come in and those that have hopped on board the buy to let quick path to riches and the like are going to face one more cost, a cost which they may not be able to palm off on their tenants.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Dub XV

I paid €35,000 in stamp duty. That is why I have such an issue with paying this kind of tax.

Refund my €35,000 and I will fall in line with the property tax.

Dub XV wrote: »
    I paid €35,000 in stamp duty. That is why I have such an issue with paying this kind of tax.

Are you looking for equivalent discounts on your motor tax / TV licence / VAT etc?

Are you looking for equivalent discounts on your motor tax / TV licence / VAT etc?

Maybe a few little tax-breaks and we could throw a party and invite those who gave them to us --

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

It prompts me to ask you the question, alastair, do you know anyone that paid stamp duty on any of the above items that you mentioned. Your silliest statement to date.

• Advertisement

Maybe a few little tax-breaks and we could throw a party and invite those who gave them to us --

What tax breaks did McManus get? He's a tax exile.

darkhorse wrote: »
    It prompts me to ask you the question, alastair, do you know anyone that paid stamp duty on any of the above items that you mentioned. Your silliest statement to date.

No - nowhere near as silly as linking stamp duty with property taxation. You continue to pay motor tax despite the VAT and VRT you handed over on buying your car, yeah?

Motor tax, doesn't have stamp duty at point of sale (nor motor tax either)
    TV license, when buying a tv, also does not require a license as a precondition of buying it.
    Vat, if I buy a pair of shoes, i pay vat on the purchase at point of sale. No one will ever come asking me to pay the vat a second time on them.

Pointless answer tbh.

Motor tax, doesn't have stamp duty at point of sale (nor motor tax either).
    ??

TV license, when buying a tv, also does not require a license as a precondition of buying it.
    Well - using it does. In fact owning it does.
    Vat, if I buy a pair of shoes, i pay vat on the purchase at point of sale. No one will ever come asking me to pay the vat a second time on them.
    No - but who made the case that they did?

Looking for a discount off your property tax on the basis of previously having paid stamp duty makes as much sense as looking for a discount off your VAT, TV licence, Income tax, dog licence, etc. ie: not much sense at all.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Should all other instances of double taxation be abolished too?

Should all other instances of double taxation be abolished too?

you are acknowledging this as a form of double taxation so?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Dub XV wrote: »

In fairness this is a new tax. Adding it to people who already paid a tax recently. It simply isn't the same. There should be considered in the time of transition.
    Effort rivet you can have neighbours with one household paying 36 k in tax and another 1 k over a 10 year period. Not a fair equal tax system. Which is what you need for compliance.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

you are acknowledging this as a form of double taxation so?

Of course.

What tax breaks did McManus get? He's a tax exile.

O.k. then I got it wrong.
    He took a break away in Switzerland to prevent himself having to pay taxes here. Sorry.

• Advertisement

Of course.

Exactly why it shouldnt be paid.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement