Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Irish property tax to cost 'on average' €1000 per house.(can you afford it?)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Again because it targets MY home.

Yes. yes it does.

and...

• Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

alastair wrote: »
    Yes. yes it does.

and...

.... i'm not paying it for it to be handed over to their friends who gambled and lost. !!!

Ghandee wrote: »
    No, that's not what I asked.

Where is the money going that used to fund the LA previous to this scam being introduced?

Its been diverted to shore up the banks/bail out the banks.

Like your 'indirect' tax principle, this money may be ear marked for local services, but only because the way they were previously funded now pays the banks and bondholders.

We're expected to indirectly pay for it. That is a fact.

I posted a link to the breakdown of where our taxes go before - the bank bailout is a drop in the deficit.

Here it is: http://www.ronanlyons.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Monthly-tax-bill.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

bgrizzley wrote: »

That's not the problem with this country. Our society functions largely as a result of people seeking to make money for themselves. People have a natural drive to advance their self interests, this is never going to change, attempting to do so is counterproductive. We need to understand human nature and harness it in a way which benefits society. If people see an easy way to make profit to will attempt to do so.

I see no point in being judgmental about this behaviour. People have always been the same with regards self interest. What we need to do is have laws in place to protect against the negative sides to our natural drives.

the property boom wasnt the problem? people overstretching themselves with second mortgages cause they saw a handy way to make money?

i have no problem with people making money hand over fist if they want, for better or worse its what drives the world. But homes are homes, not wealth assets and not investments.

.... i'm not paying it for it to be handed over to their friends who gambled and lost. !!!

That's right - you'll be paying it to fund local authorities.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I have always considered my home as being above taxation. It's the one big item you will purchase in a lifetime. It's where you will settle down and raise a family, decorate it the way you want and put the furniture you like into it. You have privacy there and should be able to enjoy it in peace in your old age. You will understand it better when you're older.

Yes, but that's a personal opinion, rather than logical argument. By your reasoning, I could simply say that I've always considered my income as being above taxation since I devote half my waking hours earning it. And that's even leaving aside the fact that the purchase of a house isn't necessary for raising a family, buying furniture and enjoying privacy.
    its not a wealth asset.

I'm afraid it is. When you die and it goes to your kids or next of kin, it will be a significant asset that is being passed on to them.

That's right - you'll be paying it to fund local authorities.

While they hand over my other taxes to their friends then.

While they hand over my other taxes to their friends then.

By 'friends' you mean bondholders? A small portion of them - yes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

That's not the problem with this country. Our society functions largely as a result of people seeking to make money for themselves. People have a natural drive to advance their self interests, this is never going to change, attempting to do so is counterproductive. We need to understand human nature and harness it in a way which benefits society. If people see an easy way to make profit to will attempt to do so.

I see no point in being judgmental about this behaviour. People have always been the same with regards self interest. What we need to do is have laws in place to protect against the negative sides to our natural drives.

the property boom wasnt the problem? people overstretching themselves with second mortgages cause they saw a handy way to make money?

i have no problem with people making money hand over fist if they want, for better or worse its what drives the world. But homes are homes, not wealth assets and not investments.

I didn't say the property boom wasn't the problem. I just don't see the point in blaming the greedy speculators, there is nothing wrong with lawfully seeking a to maximise your profits.

If you think homes shouldn't be investments then the issue is with the regulators, everyone wants the best for themselves and their family, how can you blame that, it's an excercise in futility, it won't change people's natural drives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

And when you pay the extra income tax you are prepared to pay where do you expect this to go?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

keep going tayto ...you are winning...

you, object to paying a tax on your property......they, by quoting all sorts of other taxes are losing the arguement.....

keep up the good work......

No, his point makes no sense and has no consistency, otherwise he'd object to paying VAT, Stamp Duty and Inheritance tax.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

donalg1 wrote: »
    And when you pay the extra income tax you are prepared to pay where do you expect this to go?

I know where it will go but at least it's not an attack on my home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

Ghandee wrote: »
    How much did la funding get cut by at the last budget?

Where has the money that previously paid that been diverted to?

I would like to know this too, as, even after it was diverted, my money kept getting cut.

Nor is property taxation. And you concede the bondholder argument is a red herring then?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Anyone can apply your argument to a wide array of taxes. It essentially comes down to " because I say so".

darkhorse wrote: »
    I would like to know this too, as, even after it was diverted, my money kept getting cut.

Where your tax goes: http://www.ronanlyons.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Monthly-tax-bill.png

Anyone can apply your argument to a wide array of taxes. It essentially comes down to " because I say so".

BUT i'm the one who is being asked, not anyone. I can only give my own reasons for objecting to it. Funnily enough though I seem to have the same argument as quite a considerable amount of people.

Its an attack on your household income, which is pretty much an attack on your home. Although I think if they did raise income tax instead of a property tax you would protest against this as its an attack on your income, which isnt fair as others dont have to pay this, and sure its only going to bondholders.:rolleyes:

BUT i'm the one who is being asked, not anyone. I can only give my own reasons for objecting to it. Funnily enough though I seem to have the same argument as quite a considerable amount of people.

An unprincipled one. 'I don't like it' isn't a compelling case.

Link not working.

• Advertisement

Its an attack on your household income, which is pretty much an attack on your home. Although I think if they did raise income tax instead of a property tax you would protest against this as its an attack on your income, which isnt fair as others dont have to pay this, and sure its only going to bondholders.:rolleyes:

Well I haven't protested about it before, so there :rolleyes:

An unprincipled one. 'I don't like it' isn't a compelling case.

Nearly a million "don't like it" Al.

Nearly a million "don't like it" Al.

So? Does anyone like paying taxes?

So the working man is screwed by everyone else. Always has been.

So the working man is screwed by everyone else. Always has been.

Well - the wealthier you are - the higher level of income tax is liable - so it's a fair enough burden on the working man. The same ratios applies regardless of how much income tax you pay. The bank bailout is really small fry in the overall picture.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

We live in a welfare state. Our population has consistently voted for parties that endorse that. So its hardly surprising that most of our spending goes on social welfare, health and education.

Well I haven't protested about it before, so there :rolleyes:

So you are happy for them to raise income tax and will be more than happy to pay the increases, despite the fact that this does not solve the problem of the predictable tax base that needs to be created.

I think if your argument against a property tax is that you dont want to pay it then you need to think up a new argument as this wont go very far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

Thats a lovely chart. I wonder where that info came from. Oh, it probably came from the same place where they mislaid the three and half billion.

• Advertisement

darkhorse wrote: »
    Thats a lovely chart. I wonder where that info came from. Oh, it probably came from the same place where they mislaid the three and half billion.

Like that one? Here's one of my own - just isolating the bank bailout portion of average household income tax outgoings: http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/6826/taxbill.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement