Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Irish property tax to cost 'on average' €1000 per house.(can you afford it?)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,926 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

donalg1 wrote: »
    So you are happy for them to raise income tax and will be more than happy to pay the increases, despite the fact that this does not solve the problem of the predictable tax base that needs to be created.

I think if your argument against a property tax is that you dont want to pay it then you need to think up a new argument as this wont go very far.

Donal1 please don't start this again. It's played out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

What is? Your inability to articulate a case against property taxation?

alastair wrote: »
    What is? Your inability to articulate a case against property taxation?

Circles Al circles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

arguements lost!!!!.......insults arrive...

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

More people would have paid it long ago if the government didn't make a complete hash of it. Everywhere I heard threatening language. Not a way elected public representives should speak or engage with their people.

The whole thing is a mess from start to finish.

• Advertisement

arguements lost!!!!.......insults arrive...

He's been at that for awhile and has been banned several times. Just pay no heed of him.

He's been at that for awhile and has been banned several times. Just pay no heed of him.

you stand by your right to not agree with an unfair tax.........and not pay that tax...

too many rights taken from the average person....

Heh - you've exposed your own hypocrisy and nonsensical rationalisation in evading this tax - I'm just here to observe.

you stand by your right to not agree with an unfair tax...

'Unfair' because you 'say so'.

Compelling case made there.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Mod

I don't know where ye get the energy. How about we all have some tea and take a break for a while?

One sugar, white. :)

• Advertisement

More people would have paid it long ago if the government didn't make a complete hash of it. Everywhere I heard threatening language.

Now - care to point to the specific threats you heard 'everywhere'? I'm not buying it.

No doubt they made a hash of it - but honestly? 'Threats'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

you stand by your right to not agree with an unfair tax.........and not pay that tax...

too many rights taken from the average person....
    Nobody ever had a 'right' to refuse payment of their taxes, this one included.

yes, and if you cannot listen to people views, what are you......a dictator....

last time i looked.....everybody is entitled to their opinion.....

are you from somewhere...where, that is not the case..????

i see, you have used the word compel....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

dvpower wrote: »

Ali, are you reading your buddies opinion up there ^^^:pac:

dvpower wrote: »

read the post before you answer....

You know what they say about opinions?

Can you support your contention that property taxation is 'unfair', because the opinion isn't really worth much without some solid evidence.

Ghandee wrote: »
    Ali, are you reading your buddies opinion up there ^^^:pac:

I've no argument against that. I've repeated to boredom that I fully expected to have to pay my poll tax despite my protest.

I've no problem with people protesting the HHC by delaying their payment - as long as they accept that they'll pay the price for doing so in late penalties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

I've no argument against that. I've repeated to boredom that I fully expected to have to pay my poll tax despite my protest.

I've no problem with people protesting the HHC by delaying their payment - as long as they accept that they'll pay the price for doing so in late penalties.

No, like the poll tax, this one will (and is being) be defeated.

They're losing this one Al.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Lord of the Bongs

If the government want to do this they must do it right and fairly.

First off, they will have to deduct it from people wages. only, forgive me for saying so, do Idiots sign up and pay taxes, save for car tax but the cops do be on the look out for that.

maybe every house will be required to have a Household disk on the front door for the local coco yob to tick off his chart (theres a thought)

secondly, and it must be said, for a second home double the charge.

thirdly, sliding scale by size, dimension and location of house. If your John Smith with a three bed in Ballygobackwards Co. Roscommon your charge should NOT be the same for Jenny Smith with the same gaff in Dalkey, Why u ask, well public transportation, better facilites, shops and the like.

and finally forth one, you will get me to pay this charge over my dead girlfriends body.

• Advertisement

Ghandee wrote: »
    No, like the poll tax, this one will (and is being) be defeated.

They're losing this one Al.

That's why they've let us know the broad outline of next year's property tax, and who'll be responsible for enforcing/collecting it. Okay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

What is played out, I only asked you did you see the difference between income tax and property tax, and can you see why they may want to introduce a property tax before raising income tax? Nice avoidance though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

you stand by your right to not agree with an unfair tax...

It is unfair as some people will end up paying more tax on identical properties.
    Based on value will mean people in cities will pay more for services that are cheaper to provide. Economy of scale.
    You will also have people paying less in remote areas but using facilities in areas with higher property tax.
    It is not balanced.
    Rather not pay property tax but if it is fair I can live with it.
    There is also the simple fact they aren't charging everybody for the services. Only property owners, do renters not use the services?
    The household charge is a scam as it isn't for the household it is for the property.

You know what they say about opinions?

Can you support your contention that property taxation is 'unfair', because the opinion isn't really worth much without some solid evidence.

i know what your contempt is for peoples opinions.....

and the fact that you live in a democracy.....has not dawned on you...yet...

shame, really.......it will one day...

insults seem to be you idea of a debate......i wonder where did you learn that ??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Of course Tayto is entitled to his opinion, but he hasn't given a reasonable argument. His reasoning comes down to his own preferences. I can argue I don't want to pay income tax because I earned my wages through my own hard work, but it would be stupid argument.

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    It is unfair as some people will end up paying more tax on identical properties.
    Based on value will mean people in cities will pay more for services that are cheaper to provide. Economy of scale.
    You will also have people paying less in remote areas but using facilities in areas with higher property tax.
    It is not balanced.
    Rather not pay property tax but if it is fair I can live with it.
    There is also the simple fact they aren't charging everybody for the services. Only property owners, do renters not use the services?
    The household charge is a scam as it isn't for the household it is for the property.

Everyone continues to pay for local authority services.

Identical properties will have identical charges - beyond that we don't know the banding mechanism that'll be applied, so no-one can comment on it's fairness.

And yes - it's a property tax - which is probably why it's referred to as such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

insults seem to be you idea of a debate......i wonder where did you learn that ??

And since when can people in a democracy decide what taxes they do or dont pay. They can protest against the introduction of new taxes are definitely entitled to do so, but when they refuse to pay those taxes that were introduced by a democratically elected government, they are in the wrong surely.

The democracy we live in has introduced the property tax. Beyond that - I'm not sure what democracy has to do with providing some substance to unfounded opinions?

My 'opinion' is that all the property tax will actually go to Elvis's secret ranch in Mayo where he rides around on Shergar. I'm perfectly entitled to that opinion, but I wouldn't expect anyone else to subscribe to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Lord of the Bongs

donalg1 wrote: »
    And since when can people in a democracy decide what taxes they do or dont pay. They can protest against the introduction of new taxes are definitely entitled to do so, but when they refuse to pay those taxes that were introduced by a democratically elected government, they are in the wrong surely.

Irish democracy 2012.

• Advertisement

Irish democracy 2012.

Representational democracy since the year dot.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement