Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Irish property tax to cost 'on average' €1000 per house.(can you afford it?)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Lord of the Bongs

alastair wrote: »
    Representational democracy since the year dot.

also known as parish politics, thank god the church has no say anymore otherwise there would be some sort of a tax on our children coming down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

also known as parish politics.

No. You do understand the nature of democratic systems?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

First off, they will have to deduct it from people wages. only, forgive me for saying so, do Idiots sign up and pay taxes, save for car tax but the cops do be on the look out for that.

Anyone who isn't PAYE has to declare their own income and pay tax on it. Are you honestly arguing that they are idiots?
    secondly, and it must be said, for a second home double the charge.

That's already the case, as we've the Second Homes Tax
    thirdly, sliding scale by size, dimension and location of house. If your John Smith with a three bed in Ballygobackwards Co. Roscommon your charge should NOT be the same for Jenny Smith with the same gaff in Dalkey, Why u ask, well public transportation, better facilites, shops and the like.

That seems likely to happen as it seems it'll be based on the value of the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

read the post before you answer....
    I did.
    you stand by your right to not agree with an unfair tax.........and not pay that tax...

too many rights taken from the average person....
    Again, nobody has a 'right' to refuse to pay their taxes. That includes you, me, Alister and everyone else.

No. You do understand the nature of democratic systems?

I think I do, I should, i work within it.

• Advertisement

Anyone who isn't PAYE has to declare their own income and pay tax on it. Are you honestly arguing that they are idiots?

no you totally took me up wrong. i mean anyone who is willing to go in and voluntarily pay for an absurd tax, like the household charge, is an idiot.

I think I do, I should, i work within it.

I'm going to just put you on ignore. Nothing good is going to come of this. Bye!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

no you totally took me up wrong. i mean anyone who is willing to go in and voluntarily pay for an absurd tax, like the household charge, is an idiot.

I don't really understand the difference though. They're both tax liabilities.

I'm going to just put you on ignore. Nothing good is going to come of this. Bye!

LMAO go on talk to youself then im missing ur posts already :0

I don't really understand the difference though. They're both tax liabilities.

true but the Revenue are presently not involved in chasing up people for the Household charge. Self employed people dont pay taxes out of some moral obligation, they pay them because they have/know they will be caught. this household charge would not exist if were werent in a recession

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Same way we are all idiots to pay our Motor Tax and TV Licence then, or do we pay these because the penalties are higher? And because we are more likely to be caught for not paying them?

Do you think it is idiotic to pay €100 or €100 plus late penalties?

true but the Revenue are presently not involved in chasing up people for the Household charge.
    Why is the colection authority an important distinction?

true but the Revenue are presently not involved in chasing up people for the Household charge. Self employed people dont pay taxes out of some moral obligation, they pay them because they have/know they will be caught. this household charge would not exist if were werent in a recession

Revenue will be involved from next year on though. And I doubt they'll be ignoring failure to pay for this year.

I'd take issue with the last point too. The Property Tax originally came as a recommendation from the Commission on Taxation, which was charged with long term reform of our taxation system. By my reckoning, we would have had it recession or no recession. Although if we were still fiscally healthy it probably would have come with a reduction of income tax and immediate abolition of stamp duty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Revenue will be involved from next year on though. And I doubt they'll be ignoring failure to pay for this year.

I'd take issue with the last point too. The Property Tax originally came as a recommendation from the Commission on Taxation, which was charged with long term reform of our taxation system. By my reckoning, we would have had it recession or no recession. Although if we were still fiscally healthy it probably would have come with a reduction of income tax and immediate abolition of stamp duty.

I thought it came as a condition of the bailout......

donalg1 wrote: »
    Same way we are all idiots to pay our Motor Tax and TV Licence then, or do we pay these because the penalties are higher? And because we are more likely to be caught for not paying them?

Do you think it is idiotic to pay €100 or €100 plus late penalties?

yes, I dont pay my TV licence and my car is usually 'off the road' for certain periods of the year ;)

I didnt pay €100 and wont be paying any late penalty either.

have no problem paying 'just' taxes but dog licences etc no I dont pay them. people who do are, well maybe idiots is too strong a word, lets just sat gullable or have sheepish mentality, no offence.

The household charge was just a way to make a quick buck on the broken backs of many who cant pay their inflated bank mortgages. I might be more compliant if it was done justly. Perhaps this charge was coming down the road recession or no recession but if it was still the Celtic Tiger era I seriously doubt it would ever have come about. party political Voting reasons.

Ghandee wrote: »
    I thought it came as a condition of the bailout......

It was, yes. What I'm saying is that even it it wasn't a condition, it was likely to be introduced. The Commission on Taxation pre-dated the bailout.

yes, I dont pay my TV licence and my car is usually 'off the road' for certain periods of the year ;)

have no problem paying 'just' taxes but dog licences etc no I dont pay them. people who do are, well maybe idiots is too strong a word, lets just sat gullable or have sheepish mentality, no offence.

That's an interesting attitude alright. What's your take on welfare fraud, e.g. claiming dole while you're working or claiming dole twice. Would you do that if you could get away with it.

So basically you are not an idiot because you break the law continuously?

Says it all really.

It was, yes. What I'm saying is that even it it wasn't a condition, it was likely to be introduced. The Commission on Taxation pre-dated the bailout.

So we're being forced to pay this to bail out the banks yeah?

I mean, we got funds to bailout the banks, this sham tax was a condition of the bailout programme,

Either way, directly, indirectly (I'm not bothered at this stage) this is being paid to bail out bondholders and bankers.

Fact

• Advertisement

Persistent tax evader evades yet another tax.

I don't think we'll be seeing any coherent arguments here.

That's an interesting attitude alright. What's your take on welfare fraud, e.g. claiming dole while you're working or claiming dole twice. Would you do that if you could get away with it.

No, but I think in the whole the welfare state should be halved and in some cases abolished.

So basically you are not an idiot because you break the law continuously?

Says it all really.

Breaking the law and standing up against austerity are two different things, my friend.

Breaking the law and standing up against austerity are two different things, my friend.

Handly that tax evaders can bravely 'stand up against austerity' by simply evading yet another tax.

How is not paying your TV licence or Motor Tax standing up against austerity? To me it seems a pretty clear case of breaking the law.

Are you saying I can break whatever law I choose and say "hey I was just standing up against austerity" and expect people to say well sure thats ok then.

I mean, we got funds to bailout the banks, this sham tax was a condition of the bailout programme,

Either way, directly, indirectly (I'm not bothered at this stage) this is being paid to bail out bondholders and bankers.

Fact

Once again - refer to the graph illustrating where the money goes. The EU/IMF bail-out is to keep the country running.

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/6826/taxbill.jpg

dvpower wrote: »
    Handly that tax evaders can bravely 'stand up against austerity' by simply evading yet another tax.

The tax came about to bailout bankers.

I want no part in that thank you very much.

How is not paying your TV licence or Motor Tax standing up against austerity? To me it seems a pretty clear case of breaking the law.

Are you saying I can break whatever law I choose and say "hey I was just standing up against austerity" and expect people to say well sure thats ok then.

I'm telling you - the ignore button is your friend in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Dub XV

jmayo wrote: »
    You tax bill and thus net income is not determined by your outgoings.
    It is the other way around.
    I wish to fook people could grasp that little reality.

The state and other taxpayers are not meant to be there to fund you if you have a large family.
    Just like the state and other taxpayers are not meant to be there because

Although in this country we had some freeloader in Limerick demanding a larger local authority house because he decided not to bother with contraception.

The sense of entitlement in this country is fooking unbelievable.

Once again it is not the taxpayers role to guarantee you can afford to live wherever you want.

Yes if you can't afford to live where you are then you have to cut your cloth.

Principles go out the window when the people funding you lay down the law.
    To use an old standard: "He who pays the piper calls the tune."
    Most of the countries who are involved in funding us have property taxes, yet they arrive in Ireland to find the hand out and no such thing.
    What do you think is their first response ?

I do agree about the CPA and getting rid of that as well.

The Irish enslaved themselves in the mad rush to buy totally overpriced property and indeed the latest expensive consumer tat.
    When they couldn't buy anymore in Ireland they hocked their existing property to the hilt so they could buy in some fooking country they could not find on a map nevermind had never visited.

What a load of tosh!

I paid less for my home than it is worth now.

You are just a wum.......nobody knows what circumstances will occur 20 years down the line.

And if I rent I would probably have to fork out an extra €900-€1000.

Bollox!

• Advertisement

No, I'm saying the likelihood is that we'd have had to pay it regardless. And I don't think anyone is disputing that the state has significant debt as a result of the bailout.
    No, but I think in the whole the welfare state should be halved and in some cases abolished.

So tax fraud is OK but welfare fraud isn't? I don't get the difference.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement