Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Irish property tax to cost 'on average' €1000 per house.(can you afford it?)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Dub XV

alastair wrote: »
    So - you're just throwing those out there as notional alternatives to a solid, ongoing, and attainable revenue stream, without any idea of what they'd actually save us? Fair enough.

Why yes.

I am a fcuking surgeon not an economist!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,927 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Dub XV wrote: »
    I think you'll find that I haven't once mentioned the bankers or banking system. So relax there Merkel!

I liked the bit about the Govt being interested in the nation and peoples wellbeing. I just wasn't aware of that or else it was announced on one of their junkets abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Ok Al.

You seem a bit obsessed with ascribing any new poster opposed to your own as a sockpuppet of mine. I don't bother with that nonsense, and it makes you look very silly indeed.

Dub XV wrote: »
    Why yes.

I am a fcuking surgeon not an economist!

Just establishing the seriousness applicable.

You seem a bit obsessed with ascribing any new poster opposed to your own as a sockpuppet of mine. I don't bother with that nonsense, and it makes you look very silly indeed.

Mirror reflections Al.

• Advertisement

Mirror reflections Al.

Are you sure you're a retiree? This is all very juvenile.

Are you sure you're a retiree? This is all very juvenile.

I know how to relate to children alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

I am an American, and I can tell you that we already pay over a thousand USD for property taxes every year. Not trying to make light of your problems; just want you to know that we are all in this together.

Lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭kr7

I would have put it in the hands of the Revenue from the start. Aside from that, no, I don't see much different that could have been done. Asking people to pay as small flat fee in advance of a full, value based measure was reasonable, I feel.

Sure let the revenue collect it, but at least have the balls to call it what it is.

It's nothing more than an increase in income tax forced only on people who own or are paying for their own property.

At the end of the day it's a few hundred or a thousand euro being taken from peoples pockets. (not from LA tenants or private tenants though).

It's that amount of money that will not be spent in the local economy every year.
    Expect to see more job losses and businesses closing into the future.

Well done FG/Lab, sure we'll just have to tax our way out of this recession because we have no other ideas.

I suppose this is what happens when a country elects amateur politicians to run the place.

Mirror reflections Al.

One word. Makim. LOL:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

I liked the bit about the Govt being interested in the nation and peoples wellbeing. I just wasn't aware of that or else it was announced on one of their junkets abroad.

What I'm dreading is that these clowns are going to start up a few dozen quango's with this money that there collecting of us.
    Then they are gonna go to brussels and tell that the Paddy's went mad again.:)

darkhorse wrote: »
    What I'm dreading is that these clowns are going to start up a few dozen quango's with this money that there collecting of us.
    Then they are gonna go to brussels and tell that the Paddy's went mad again.:)

How many quangos have we now? 900 or something isn't it?

Must have a look at the programme for government again, it's a great work of fiction.

Remember the 100,000 jobs they were going to create?

Unemployment has being steadily rising since this shower came to office.

Plenty of jobs for 'special' advisors though.

As I've said, a bunch of amateurs. FF lite.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

kr7 wrote: »
    Sure let the revenue collect it, but at least have the balls to call it what it is.

It's nothing more than an increase in income tax forced only on people who own or are paying for their own property.

You're saying this like it's a massive secret or something. It's pretty obvious what it is.

You're saying this like it's a massive secret or something. It's pretty obvious what it is.

So give it a name, call a spade a spade and cut the bull****.

Heard a quote from Pat Rabbitte last night, says the government are going to have to "bite the bullet" on the property tax.

Wonder what he means?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I think "Property Tax" is pretty descriptive.

I think 'discriminatory tax' would be better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

I'm afraid it is. When you die and it goes to your kids or next of kin, it will be a significant asset that is being passed on to them.

tax them on the inheritance then. oh, they already are........:D

I think 'discriminatory tax' would be better.

Most taxes are discriminatory. But sure, why not. Better still, lets call it the Super Mega Home Wrecker Tax.

You'd think so - wouldn't you?

I suppose this is what happens when a country elects amateur politicians to run the place.

What we need is a strong man to take a hold of this country, to get the trains running on time, a man with a plan, a vision, a leader...

• Advertisement

[

I didn't say the property boom wasn't the problem. I just don't see the point in blaming the greedy speculators, there is nothing wrong with lawfully seeking a to maximise your profits.

If you think homes shouldn't be investments then the issue is with the regulators, everyone wants the best for themselves and their family, how can you blame that, it's an excercise in futility, it won't change people's natural drives.

ok, im lost , you are seriously defending "greedy speculators" over people who just want to raise a family in peace?

have you ever met someone with a kid on the way who buys a house thinking "i can make money on this"?
    trust me, they are thinking "hmm, 3 bedrooms, i have room for the next one"

What we need is a strong man to take a hold of this country, to get the trains running on time, a man with a plan, a vision, a leader...

But where is Judge Judy?

bgrizzley wrote: »
    But where is Judge Judy?

Smacking down tax evaders most likely.

Most taxes are discriminatory. But sure, why not. Better still, lets call it the Super Mega Home Wrecker Tax.

Nice, I like that Ted.

Sounds like something makim would say, if he was allowed to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

bgrizzley wrote: »
    [

I didn't say the property boom wasn't the problem. I just don't see the point in blaming the greedy speculators, there is nothing wrong with lawfully seeking a to maximise your profits.

If you think homes shouldn't be investments then the issue is with the regulators, everyone wants the best for themselves and their family, how can you blame that, it's an excercise in futility, it won't change people's natural drives.

ok, im lost , you are seriously defending "greedy speculators" over people who just want to raise a family in peace?

have you ever met someone with a kid on the way who buys a house thinking "i can make money on this"?
    trust me, they are thinking "hmm, 3 bedrooms, i have room for the next one"

I'm not defending " greedy speculators", I'm fed up listening to people moan about them. Greedy selfish people have always existed, exist now and will always exist, the moaning is a waste of energy. Focus on finding solutions instead without denying human nature

I'm not defending " greedy speculators", I'm fed up listening to people moan about them. Greedy selfish people have always existed, exist now and will always exist, the moaning is a waste of energy. Focus on finding solutions instead without denying human nature

Sitting on the sidelines cribbing and moaning is a lost opportunity......etc etc

Is that you bertie?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

remember.....the country is in a state, and mainly because people felt they had to go along with a stupid idea.......

remember.....the country is in a state, and mainly because people felt they had to go along with a stupid idea.......

Like a property tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

Like a property tax?

like a bank guarentee...leading to a so called property tax......leading to a section of the country being led by the ears.....but that is only the most docile part of the population, who have no unions to protect them...and no way of pleading poverty.....because they have property....

• Advertisement

like a bank guarentee...leading to a so called property tax......leading to a section of the country being led by the ears.....but that is only the most docile part of the population, who have no unions to protect them...and no way of pleading poverty.....because they have property....

The only answer is not to pay it.

I wonder what pat rabbitte meant about the government having to 'bite the bullet' on the property tax......

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement