Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Irish property tax to cost 'on average' €1000 per house.(can you afford it?)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

I see Fidelma Healy Eames had her untaxed Merc taken away by the Garda today. That woman has some neck. Enda will have words with her soon i'd say.

No he won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

I see Fidelma Healy Eames had her untaxed Merc taken away by the Garda today. That woman has some neck. Enda will have words with her soon i'd say.

And quite fecking right too! Interesting aside Tayto.

You agree assets should be seized if taxes aren't paid?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,927 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

K-9 wrote: »
    And quite fecking right too! Interesting aside Tayto.

You agree assets should be seized if taxes aren't paid?

I would think that the people who are deciding that others should pay would put their own house (pun) in order first. Don't you? It reeks of double standards. That's why I suggested that Enda would have a word with her.

I would think that the people who are deciding that others should pay would put their own house (pun) in order first. Don't you? It reeks of double standards. That's why I suggested that Enda would have a word with her.

Indeed I would.

Oh and where did you see this?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Indeed I would.

Oh and when did you see this?

It was mentioned on the Vincent Browne Show. It will be in tomorrows papers he said. Was only listening and not watching so I don't know which paper will have it, probably a few i'd imagine.

• Advertisement

It was mentioned on the Vincent Browne Show. It will be in tomorrows papers he said. Was only listening and not watching so I don't know which paper will have it, probably a few i'd imagine.

Fair enough, you didn't really see it, just heard it! ;)

Do indeed post up a link if you see one tomorrow, hopefully will have a picture for added comedic value.

Fair enough, you didn't really see it, just heard it! ;)

Do indeed post up a link if you see one tomorrow, hopefully will have a picture for added comedic value.

Yeah I was painting at the time.
    I presume she was barred from using the train then after her last little episode and is driving now. I hope she didn't abuse the Garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭round tower huntsman

couldnt and wont pay the first tax..........snows bells chance of the next tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

In the North if you don't pay your rates your house can be repossesed.

If you don't pay your rates

If you do not pay your rates or contact LPS to make an arrangement to clear your account, you will be taken to court. This will mean:
    •additional costs
    •your credit rating could be affected, and as a result you may not be able to apply for credit or a loan
    •you could be made bankrupt
    •your home could be repossessed

In 2011 - 12 court action was taken against 45,902 ratepayers for non-payment of rates.

If some people think sending a reminder letter to lawbreakers here after 6 months is bullying and harassment I wonder what they would think of that.

In the North if you don't pay your rates your house can be repossesed.

If you don't pay your rates

If you do not pay your rates or contact LPS to make an arrangement to clear your account, you will be taken to court. This will mean:
    •additional costs
    •your credit rating could be affected, and as a result you may not be able to apply for credit or a loan
    •you could be made bankrupt
    •your home could be repossessed

In 2011 - 12 court action was taken against 45,902 ratepayers for non-payment of rates.

If some people think sending a reminder letter to lawbreakers here after 6 months is bullying and harassment I wonder what they would think of that.

That's a great way of attempting to get people to pay this tax dx, telling them that if it gets to survive, non payment of it can see your family home taken away?

more reason why the people need to stand in solidarity in a mass non payment campaign to ensure thus does not see the light of day.

€100 this year, rumoured 1000 next, then it will go up and up and up, until, some of us cannot pay the tax as its just reached a level we simply cannot afford to pay.

So when that happens, you're suggesting the family home could be repossessed?

I think you just gave the no campaign a massive boost.

But also, aside from that.
    In the north, after the rates bill gets paid,

No more bin charges (includes free collection of large goods such as fridge, cookers and other non household waste)
    No water meter (ours are on the way)
    No gp fees, no hospital fees
    Prescription from pharmacist on average £3
    No education fees
    School dinners provided (school canteens)
    Free school buses laid on
    No tolls on the road
    Far cheaper road tax
    No vrt
    No call out charges for emergency services

Few other services that just don't come to mind right now. But regardless, once again you've shown 'what happens in the north when you don't pay your rates'

You don't outline 'what services you'll enjoy when the rates are paid'

With the property tax you'll get.
    Nothing.

You continue to use the rates system in the north as some kind of comparison to this sham tax here, which quite frankly is ridiculous.

You can't compare a system, with which you pay something and receive all them services above with no further bills for services later in the year.
    With a system that'll ask you to pay a tax on your house, provide nothing in way of services, and then be expected to pay (through the nose) separately for services. All of which have taxes and vat stapled to them too.

Their simply is no comparison, continually trying to do so is solly at this stage.

The more the Irish people stand up and refuse to pay this tax, the more chance/certainty their is that they cannot implement it.

For the record, I'll say again, I'm not against a rates system being introduced here, if they start to put on services as listed above. Won't pay an extra grand a year to get nothing back in return however.

Not ever.

DON'T PAY THE TAX, DOING SO WILL PUT YOUR FAMILY HOME AT RISK OF BEING REPOSSESSED IN THE FUTURE IF YOU CANNOT AFFORD TO PAY AT A LATER DATE, THIS IS A TAX THAT IS GOING TO BAIL OUT THE BANKS/BONDHOLDERS AND SPECULATORS

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

kr7 wrote: »
    A 5% cut in welfare rates across the board, not too painful and it raises/saves €1.1 billion.

if welfare rates did not include those that have paid into the system and are getting what is due back.....yes, i would agree.....

We don't have the luxury of giving people what they are "due back". We need to find cuts everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

We don't have the luxury of giving people what they are "due back". We need to find cuts everywhere.

you don't have the luxury of making people feel they would be better off if they never worked in the first place......

only making money will clear these bills..

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Dub XV

Public Service numbers and wages have been cut and continue to be cut. By 2015 the projection is that the overall wage bill compared to 2008 will be down by 20%. This is in a situation where the population of the country increased by 340,000 (8%) between the census in 2006 and the census in 2011 and this is a trend which is continuing.

Towards 2016 which had annual pay rises lined up has been abandoned. There appears to be no prospect of the vast bulk of the PS ever getting a pay rise again. Except for increments and if you do away with those someone starting at say age 20 on €25K will be left there forever instead of typically progressing to €40k over 12 or 15 years.

There are about 1.8 million people employed in the country of which approx 300,000 are Public Service. You can't say that the 1.5 million in the private sector are all doing worse than the public service.

So this is where the pushers are coming from?

I see Al thanked that post. Trying to protect PS pay? It makes alot more sense now.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Ghandee wrote: »
    You continue to use the rates system in the north as some kind of comparison to this sham tax here, which quite frankly is ridiculous.

You can't compare a system, with which you pay something and receive all them services above with no further bills for services later in the year.
    With a system that'll ask you to pay a tax on your house, provide nothing in way of services, and then be expected to pay (through the nose) separately for services. All of which have taxes and vat stapled to them too.

They pay more for more services. Simple enough concept really.

Maybe you'd prefer Germany as a comparison?
    Property tax levied
    Water charges levied
    Sewage charges levied
    Refuse collection charges levied
    Higher income tax
    Higher stamp duty equivalent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭kr7

Public Service numbers and wages have been cut and continue to be cut. By 2015 the projection is that the overall wage bill compared to 2008 will be down by 20%. This is in a situation where the population of the country increased by 340,000 (8%) between the census in 2006 and the census in 2011 and this is a trend which is continuing.

Towards 2016 which had annual pay rises lined up has been abandoned. There appears to be no prospect of the vast bulk of the PS ever getting a pay rise again. Except for increments and if you do away with those someone starting at say age 20 on €25K will be left there forever instead of typically progressing to €40k over 12 or 15 years.

There are about 1.8 million people employed in the country of which approx 300,000 are Public Service. You can't say that the 1.5 million in the private sector are all doing worse than the public service.

So what?
    The wage bill is being cut because of a drop in numbers, not because of salary reductions.

Then you state that the vast majority will not get a pay rise again, 'except for increments'?

What's an increment? it's a pay rise for god sake.

More double talk from the PS cheerleaders.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

You can't abolish increments.

alastair wrote: »
    They pay more for more services. Simple enough concept really.

Maybe you'd prefer Germany as a comparison?
    Property tax levied
    Water charges levied
    Sewage charges levied
    Refuse collection charges levied
    Higher income tax
    Higher stamp duty equivalent

My parents rates are 560£ a year.

They're in the north.

So Alastair, do explain. They pay more for services how exactly?

You can't abolish increments.

why not.......you cannot keep borrowing to pay money you cannot afford.....

are these people special or something.....

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

AFAIK, it's part of their contract of employment. You can't scrap them unilaterally.

AFAIK, it's part of their contract of employment. You can't scrap them unilaterally.

They could tax them though at 100%.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

So what?
    The wage bill is being cut because of a drop in numbers, not because of salary reductions.

Then you state that the vast majority will not get a pay rise again, 'except for increments'?

What's an increment? it's a pay rise for god sake.

More double talk from the PS cheerleaders.

Ever heard of the USC or the Pension levy, an average of a 14.5% cut in PS salaries, but yeah lets not let facts get in the way of a good auld rant.

Best to bring in a property tax and create a stable and predictable tax yield. This should be done ahead of cuts to social welfare, ahead of increases in income tax and ahead of levies and charges on income from employment regardless of the sector you work in.

Next step will then be the introduction of water charges which will also help local authorities balance the books.

I don't think that would be in the spirit of the Croke Park Agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

well she was caught bonking on the train last week :D
    A FINE GAEL Senator is appealing an on-the-spot fine for boarding the Galway to Dublin train without a ticket.
    Fidelma Healy Eames yesterday said she was “shocked” to learn she could not purchase tickets on board the train.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2012/0714/1224320064809.html

You can offer them all new contacts though.

Those that refuse get redundancy.

Start recruiting new workers on a reduced salary, with no 'entitlement' attitude.

of course you can........nobody has the right to be paid if there is no money.....

as i have said before....an irish aristocracy in the making......

donalg1 wrote: »
    Ever heard of the USC or the Pension levy, an average of a 14.5% cut in PS salaries, but yeah lets not let facts get in the way of a good auld rant.

Best to bring in a property tax and create a stable and predictable tax yield. This should be done ahead of cuts to social welfare, ahead of increases in income tax and ahead of levies and charges on income from employment regardless of the sector you work in.

Next step will then be the introduction of water charges which will also help local authorities balance the books.

They're not pay cuts.

So the PS are contributing a bit more to their pensions, big deal.

Everyone in employment pays the USC.

Dub XV wrote: »
    So this is where the pushers are coming from?

I see Al thanked that post. Trying to protect PS pay? It makes alot more sense now.

Just agreeing with the bursting the bubble of 'salary cuts are worse in the public sector'. All public sector salaries have been cut back with the pension levy. That's just a fact. The latest figures on private sector salary scales - from the ERSI in April, state that there was actually no real change in salaries overall. No increases, many jobs lost, but those with jobs certainly weren't taking any average of 5% cuts. http://www.esri.ie/publications/search_for_a_publication/search_results/view/index.xml?id=3516

I don't think that would be in the spirit of the Croke Park Agreement.

There is an 'inability to pay' clause in the CPA.

The country's broke and has a large deficit, I reckon there's an inability to continue with pay rises in the PS.

They're not pay cuts.

Drop in pay packet = pay cut. In most people's terms.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

They're not pay cuts.

Everyone in employment pays the USC.

They are pay cuts!!

Eh its a levy on their pensions, they are not contributing more to their pensions they are being levied on the contributions they have made to their pensions, if they were contributing more to their pensions they would have upped their pension contribution and not introduced a levy, wouldnt they?

And is the USC a pay cut?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement