Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Irish property tax to cost 'on average' €1000 per house.(can you afford it?)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

alastair wrote: »
    I haven't heard a peep out of this senator on the property tax. Or any taxation issues for that matter.

What party is she affiliated with?

Even if she was an independent, she's a tax evader Al? You do agree I presume?

But sure she was using public transport - so she was paying that 'indirect' motor tax your mate kr7 loves so much. Where's the problem?

Paid it with the ticket she didn't buy?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Ghandee wrote: »
    Paid it with the ticket she didn't buy?

That was probably her 'tipping point'. She'd paid enough tax at that stage. Seems reasonable enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,933 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

That was probably her 'tipping point'. She'd paid enough tax at that stage. Seems reasonable enough.

I think she had a library ticket and sure it's all going to the same place anyway.

What party is she affiliated with?

Even if she was an independent, ages a tax evader Al? You do agree I presume?

extremely ages.

Yep - she's a hypocritical tax evader - demonstrably hypocritical and attempting to pass her unwillingness to pay on ludicrous grounds. There's a lot of that going around.

• Advertisement

So she isn't a tax evader Al?

Once again, like you and your poll tax principle, double standards

I think she had a library ticket and sure it's all going to the same place anyway.

So:
    'They made the initial conditions of this mess, so we don't have to sort out the mess for them'?

Who's going to do it then? Pixies?

So she isn't a tax evader Al?

Once again, like you and your poll tax principle, double standards

None whatsoever.

I wasn't avoiding my council charge - which cost me more than the poll tax would have. I wasn't basing my protest against the poll tax on nonsensical grounds.

Congrats on missing the industrial strength sarcasm btw.

None whatsoever.

I wasn't avoiding my council charge - which cost me more than the poll tax would have. I wasn't basing my protest against the poll tax on nonsensical grounds.

Congrats on missing the industrial strength sarcasm btw.

Is that why you skipped back to Ireland. Doubt you ever paid either especially after the Boatgate affair :rolleyes:

Is that why you skipped back to Ireland. Doubt you ever paid either especially after the Boatgate affair :rolleyes:

Except I didn't. But thanks for playing.

I spent a number of years in NI in between coming back here btw - so I've been through the domestic rates routine too.

And given that you demonstrably know sod all about the way VRT/NCT/DOE works - you're just making yourself look stupid by bringing up my car. I didn't avoid any liable taxes or testing when I imported that car.

Can you say the same regarding your current tax compliance?

• Advertisement

Except I didn't. But thanks for playing.

I spent a number of years in NI in between coming back here btw - so I've been through the domestic rates routine too.

And given that you demonstrably know sod all about the way VRT/NCT/DOE works - you're just making yourself look stupid by bringing up my car. I didn't avoid any liable taxes or testing when I imported that car.

Can you say the same regarding your current tax compliance?

You've just proved my point Al. You can give it but you can't take it.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

It becomes hypocritical when those we have to suffer as leaders, who make the law, break the law.

If the firm I work for caught me stealing, I'd rightfully be sacked.

She draws her salary from the coffers she expects us to contribute to, yet d doesn't herself.

So, as a general principal, should people who draw their salary from the exchequer be fired when they are caught cheating on their taxes?

Are you really calling on probably 100,000 or so public and civil servants to be sacked for evading the HHC / Property Tax?

Or do you just limit this to legislators? In which case, are you calling on the anti HHC Oireachtas members who are evading the HHC / Property Tax to be sacked?

You've just proved my point Al. You can give it but you can't take it.:D

Ehh. Okay - if highlighting your misinformation is a problem for you, sorry about that. Again - it just makes you look kinda silly.

Planning on explaining how you believe the following is 'true'?:
    'They made the initial conditions of this mess, so we don't have to sort out the mess for them'?

Who's going to do it then? Pixies?

Ehh. Okay - if highlighting your misinformation is a problem for you, sorry about that. Again - it just makes you look kinda silly.

Planning on explaining how you believe the following is 'true'?:

Again when the insults start to flow you're losing. Don't let the red mist get the better of you. You know what happens then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

donalg1 wrote: »
    So you agree its wrong of the Senator not to pay her Motor Tax, and assuming this then you also agree its wrong not to pay the HHC or a Property Tax in future.

unless she had some moral issue with it, maybe she had a pothole outside her door and was protesting by not paying. maybe she was paying cash to her plumber because she was protesting the high rates of vat. maybe she was evading train fare to protest the high cost of travel, who knows. she hasnt come out and said any of these things though.

FG cant take the high moral ground when they and their cronies flout the law. im just a joe soap protesting by not paying and by the looks of things me and the other 700k Joes and Janes are having an effect, far more than we did with our votes. with Council money being lowered due to non compliance, by the end of the year a share of waste will have been trimmed.

Ye can thank us later :D

Again when the insults start to flow you're losing. Don't let the red mist get the better of you. You know what happens then.

I'd suggest that when your baseless accusations start to flow, it's where the desperate evasions become evident. Expose yourself as a liar - great strategy! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

Even if she was an independent, she's a tax evader?
    Surely tax evasion must be deliberate? No doubt there were some who paid the HHC charge late, simply because it slipped their mind as happened to all of us at one time or another? I wouldn't consider them to be tax evaders.

Or are you contending that the FG senator was deliberately trying to evage paying both her car tax and train fare?

bgrizzley wrote: »
    unless she had some moral issue with it, maybe she had a pothole outside her FG cant take the high moral ground when they and their cronies flout the law. im just a joe soap protesting by not paying and by the looks of things me and the other 700k Joes and Janes are having an effect, far more than we did with our votes. with Council money being lowered due to non compliance, by the end of the year a share of waste will have been trimmed.

That list of wasteful Galway Council activities looked like they needed trimming alright. And isn't the flouting of the law by that crony being slapped down by some timely enforcement of the law?

Suspension of housing grants to older people and people with disabilities
    Withholding grants for various community initiatives including, burial ground maintenance, amenity grants, community and enterprise grants
    Suspension of expenditure on library books
    Reduction in resources across a broad range of front-line service areas including:
    Litter control
    Housing Maintenance
    Road maintenance including pothole repairs and verge trimming
    Bridge maintenance
    Maintenance of public conveniences
    Suspension of land drainage works
    Funding for tourism projects
    Funding to community projects (RAPID) in Tuam and Ballinasloe
    Potential delay in recently announced Major Capital Water Services projects.
    Fire Service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

unless she had some moral issue with it, maybe she had a pothole outside her door and was protesting by not paying. maybe she was paying cash to her plumber because she was protesting the high rates of vat. maybe she was evading train fare to protest the high cost of travel, who knows. she hasnt come out and said any of these things though.

FG cant take the high moral ground when they and their cronies flout the law. im just a joe soap protesting by not paying and by the looks of things me and the other 700k Joes and Janes are having an effect, far more than we did with our votes. with Council money being lowered due to non compliance, by the end of the year a share of waste will have been trimmed.

And a joe soap cant take the moral high ground when they flout the law too, they are both as wrong as one another and as hypocrticial as one another.

So what you are saying is that its ok for everyone to not pay their motor tax because they have some moral issue with it?

Can we start a list of what you think are reasonable excuses for evading taxes.

Got any more?

• Advertisement

dvpower wrote: »

Got any more?

Principles are something of an exotic find on the 'don't register, don't pay' side of the equation. It's more of a 'it's someone else's problem' kinda thing.

dvpower wrote: »

Got any more?

You forgot to mention the number one reason the anti brigade have for evading taxes:

1. I dont want to pay

It's MY home.

MINE I tell you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

donal
    i expect any right minded citizen of this country to protest(non violently)against anything they see as wrong. that democracy.

DV
    protesting and evading tax are two different things. the day me and my ilk start evading taxes is the day this country is really in the sh1t.

lugha wrote: »
    Surely tax evasion must be deliberate? No doubt there were some who paid the HHC charge late, simply because it slipped their mind as happened to all of us at one time or another? I wouldn't consider them to be tax evaders.

Or are you contending that the FG senator was deliberately trying to evage paying both her car tax and train fare?

Are you saying she didn't?

I mean, she said herself she was completely in the wrong.....

the day me and my ilk start evading taxes is the day this country is really in the sh1t.

That day would seem to be here - what with all the tax evasion and the country being in the ****.

donal
    i expect any right minded citizen of this country to protest(non violently)against anything they see as wrong. that democracy.

DV
    protesting and evading tax are two different things. the day me and my ilk start evading taxes is the day this country is really in the sh1t.

Yes thanks bgrizzley, I have never claimed people should not protest, I only asked if you think its right that people should evade their taxes?

Are you saying she didn't?

I mean, she said herself she was completely in the wrong.....
    Yes, you would be completely in the wrong if you do not pay your motor tax on time, even if you simply forget.

Perhaps she did make a deliberate decision to desist from paying this tax. But she would have been monumentally stupid, as a public representative, to do so.

DV
    Have you considered the possibility of paying your HHC / Property Tax whilst protesting it? - the two aren't mutually exclusive options.

If you are liable for it and are deliberately not paying it, then you are evading it - there is no wriggle room on that.

• Advertisement

Would you extend this latitude to he many rich folk who genuinely believe that they are justified in evading tax? And where do you draw the line? Can anyone decide to disregard any law provided they in conscience believe it to be wrong?

If your human rights are being violated then fair enough? A mundane matter on how we structure our tax system? Very, very dodgy.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement