Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Irish property tax to cost 'on average' €1000 per house.(can you afford it?)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

lugha wrote: »
    Perhaps she did make a deliberate decision to desist from paying this tax. But she would have been monumentally stupid, as a public representative, to do so.
    Maybe not. There are a good number of serving TDs who are making a deliberate decision to desist from paying the HHC / Property Tax.

I can hardly hear anyone calling for sanctions.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,933 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

donalg1 wrote: »
    You forgot to mention the number one reason the anti brigade have for evading taxes:

1. I dont want to pay

Or i won't pay for someone else's holidays or junkets maybe. OR they will only waste it again by putting in new bicycle lanes and then deciding to dig them up again like in Dundalk.
    Lots of sound reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Lots of sound reasons.

And that's why Tayto pays no taxes.

Oh wait.

alastair wrote: »
    And that's why Tayto pays no taxes.

Oh wait.

Good try Al but wrong again son.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

dvpower wrote: »
    Maybe not. There are a good number of serving TDs who are making a deliberate decision to desist from paying the HHC / Property Tax.

I can hardly hear anyone calling for sanctions.

So....

You don't condemn her actions?

• Advertisement

Good try Al but wrong again son.

You don't pay any taxes?

Is that you JP?

You don't pay any taxes?

All except HHC (my poll tax :))as you know. Has last word syndrome set in again Al?

All except HHC (my poll tax :))as you know. Has last word syndrome set in again Al?

So, that would mean I'm right.

And you are indeed paying for those bicycle lanes to be dug up etc.

Ghandee wrote: »
    So....

You don't condemn her actions?
    I don't know where you got that idea from. I think everyone should pay their taxes or face the appropriate sanction.
    Do you condemn the actions of other tax evaders, like those evading the HHC / Property Tax or encouraging other to do so?

Perhaps you might deal with the questions I asked earlier - it seems you want to hold a hypocritical position.
    Ghandee wrote: »
    It becomes hypocritical when those we have to suffer as leaders, who make the law, break the law.

If the firm I work for caught me stealing, I'd rightfully be sacked.

She draws her salary from the coffers she expects us to contribute to, yet d doesn't herself.

So, as a general principal, should people who draw their salary from the exchequer be fired when they are caught cheating on their taxes?

Are you really calling on probably 100,000 or so public and civil servants to be sacked for evading the HHC / Property Tax?

Or do you just limit this to legislators? In which case, are you calling on the anti HHC Oireachtas members who are evading the HHC / Property Tax to be sacked?

So, that would mean I'm right.

And you are indeed paying for those bicycle lanes to be dug up etc.

I was actually left reeling by a tsunami of events Al. Just like every other non HHC payer, Ticketless, car tax-less, planning breacher

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/arti...tax-revelation

All together now " we were left reeling by a tsunami of events" and want to get back to helping our party.

• Advertisement

I was actually left reeling by a tsunami of events Al. Just like every other non HHC payer, Ticketless, car tax-less, planning breacher

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/arti...tax-revelation

All together now " we were left reeling by a tsunami of events" and want to get back to helping our party.

Link (not unlike your line of arguement) is broken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Or i won't pay for someone else's holidays or junkets maybe. OR they will only waste it again by putting in new bicycle lanes and then deciding to dig them up again like in Dundalk.
    Lots of sound reasons.

Ok then now we are getting somewhere

1. I dont want to pay

2. I dont want to pay (for someone elses holiday)

3. I think they will waste it

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/53984/ive-been-left-reeling-by-tsunami-of-events-says-healy-eames-after-car-tax-revelation

Oh the ignominy of it all for FG.

The line of argument might be a tad more convincing if he hadn't already suggested that the property taxes should be shifted over to bumping up income tax. But then we've already established that Tayto is a bit intangible when it comes to taxation principles.

Oh the ignominy of it all for FG.

When in doubt - wheel out an oul evasion, or better still - a lie.

The line of argument might be a tad more convincing if he hadn't already suggested that the property taxes should be shifted over to bumping up income tax. But then we've already established that Tayto is a bit intangible when it comes to taxation principles.

My car is roadworthy though and tested. What about your Boatmobile?

My car is roadworthy though and tested. What about your Boatmobile?

Again with the evasions. Are you a bit confused about whether you think income tax should be increased, or we shouldn't be paying taxes at all? I know I'm finding it hard to follow your line of the moment.

My car is both taxed and tested. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

Have you considered the possibility of paying your HHC / Property Tax whilst protesting it? - the two aren't mutually exclusive options.

If you are liable for it and are deliberately not paying it, then you are evading it - there is no wriggle room on that.

Fair point and yes i have(after considering a point in one of your posts in the first thread i think) but then i would be doing exactly what the government wants and, after all, there is strength in numbers. C700k people are putting the sh1ts up the government. if i had registered and gone through the court sytem i would be alone i think.

yup i am a tax evader, but i am also a tax payer and my point is that not paying one small tax is different from evading all of them, (which i could do if i had the mind to)

work calls back later

Again with the evasions. Are you a bit confused about whether you think income tax should be increased, or we shouldn't be paying taxes at all? I know I'm finding it hard to follow your line of the moment.

My car is both taxed and tested. Cheers.

Income Tax is a Tax. Surprised you didn't know that.
    Were you not trying to find a way out of not having it tested ? Thought you were now.

Income Tax is a Tax. Surprised you didn't know that.
    Yep - a tax that goes to fund exactly the sort of things you profess to have a problem with. Which kind of underlines the nonsense of your argument.
    Were you not trying to find a way out of not having it tested ? Thought you were now.
    You've made it very clear you don't know anything about what I was or wasn't doing with regard to my car. Best to move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Karmann

I for one am in a serious negative equity trap, I was encouraged to buy my house aged 21.... Worst mistake of my life. I have never missed a mortgage payment (with a struggle) but if i am lumped with a €1,000 property tax i will just **** the house back to the bank and walk away. and give them another property for NAMA. I'm sure i'm not alone, It could cost them more than they will gain.

Karmann wrote: »
    I for one am in a serious negative equity trap, I was encouraged to buy my house aged 21.... Worst mistake of my life. I have never missed a mortgage payment (with a struggle) but if i am lumped with a €1,000 property tax i will just **** the house back to the bank and walk away. and give them another property for NAMA. I'm sure i'm not alone, It could cost them more than they will gain.

Unlikely. Most houses in the country are not in negative equity. A serious number aren't even mortgaged. The tax shortfall will be bridged through some mechanism regardless - so would that extra outgoing of a grand or whatever be any better to you in the form of an income tax or whatnot?

I'm also pretty sure that your lender would rather re-negotiate the terms of the mortgage repayments to allow that grand a year breathing space for you - than have to seize the house on the back of non-payment. It's simply not a plausible argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

You mean it will cost the tax payer.

Yep - a tax that goes to fund exactly the sort of things you profess to have a problem with. Which kind of underlines the nonsense of your argument.

You've made it very clear you don't know anything about what I was or wasn't doing with regard to my car. Best to move on.

Yes you're probably right to.

Yes you're probably right to.

Evasion? Check.
    Misinformation/Lies? Check
    Juvenile behavior? Check

There's the full gamut - far handier than facing up to the nonsensical and contradictory arguments propounded. :D

There are loads of people in your situation and you have our sympathies. The Govt will yet realise that people haven't a bottomless pot with which to pay these unjust taxes. I heard a man talking the other day about having to borrow to pay the HHC. Ridiculous.

Evasion? Check.
    Misinformation/Lies? Check
    Juvenile behavior? Check

There's the full gamut - far handier than facing up to the nonsensical and contradictory arguments propounded. :D

Insults.
    Last word syndrome.
    Hypocrite.
    Tax evader.

Check.

Poll Tax evader.

Fixed that for you.

Ever going to clarify quite who you expect to deal with the problem we're presented with? Nope?
    'They made the initial conditions of this mess, so we don't have to sort out the mess for them'?

Who's going to do it then? Pixies?

Fixed that for you.

Ever going to clarify quite who you expect to deal with the problem we're presented with? Nope?

Take a break or a cold shower Al. You need to calm down.
    I know you put your foot in it by admitting to not paying your own taxes but we forgive you. After all you are really one of us :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,396 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Dub XV wrote: »
    Now I know you were just blindly waffling on without reading properly.

You make sweeping generalising statements all the time but then try and nit pick other posts. All when it suits of course.

Are you a politician tongue.gif

I believe Noodler is the politician or related to one anyway.

Please don't embarrass yourself like that again.

Dub wasn't even addressing me in that post.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement