Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Irish property tax to cost 'on average' €1000 per house.(can you afford it?)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,933 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

yekahS wrote: »
    and?

Why should someone else pay for your kids to go to college?

Nobody paid for my children to go to college. I got loans from the Credit Union for that. The point was that if people have all their bills covered then they might just have no money left for other things like Property Tax etc. There is no bottomless pot in many homes. I would pay for education before property tax every time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

Nobody paid for my children to go to college. I got loans from the Credit Union for that. The point was that if people have all their bills covered then they might just have no money left for other things like Property Tax etc. There is no bottomless pot in many homes. I would pay for education before property tax every time.

I get you. Misinterpreted what you were saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

yekahS wrote: »
    and?

Why should someone else pay for your kids to go to college?

Lol....

Has it went over your head as to how only property owners have to pay for local services that everyone avails of?

Same argument my friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Ghandee wrote: »
    Has it went over your head as to how only property owners have to pay for local services that everyone avails of?

It seems to have gone over your head that everyone - property owners or not, have to pay for local services through taxation.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Working people with no children who never went to university are seeing their taxes being redisbuted in Child Benefit and third level grants. Surely this is the definition of Ufair and Unjust. Generations of children were raised without any Child Benefit before 1944. What is the rationale behind such a payment anyway?

• Advertisement

alastair wrote: »
    It seems to have gone over your head that everyone - property owners or not, have to pay for local services through taxation.

No no, i yet that.

It's just property owners have to pay extra.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

College fees as an excuse not to pay taxes is a bit of a stretch in my opinion. College aged children are 17+ and thus perfectly capable of working part time or during the summers. Plenty of people have financed their own college education in this fashion.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭crixos30

Slightly off topic i need planning and got refused dose any one have berties number so i can pay him to sort me out

No no, i yet that.

Yes they do. But that's quite a different argument. Car owners pay extra too.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

No no, i yet that.

That's the entire point of a property tax, rather than a blanket levy.

• Advertisement

Working people with no children who never went to university are seeing their taxes being redisbuted in Child Benefit and third level grants. Surely this is the definition of Ufair and Unjust. Generations of children were raised without any Child Benefit before 1944. What is the rationale behind such a payment anyway?

I don't know. I never got any grant and worked 2, sometimes 3 jobs to pay for mine. At one stage I had a mortgage, 2 education loans, car loan, as well as oil, tv licence, bin charges and car + home insurance coming out of my wages. Meanwhile i drove past a particular pub every day which had a large number of our local "entitled" smoking outside while deciding what horse to back in the next race.

Yes they do. But that's quite a different argument. Car owners pay extra too.

Non car users donot have a car, therefore are not creating wear and tear on the roads?

La tenant, can however use parks, green area, street lighting, etc etc etc.

Missing your point Alastair...

College fees as an excuse not to pay taxes is a bit of a stretch in my opinion. College aged children are 17+ and thus perfectly capable of working part time or during the summers. Plenty of people have financed their own college education in this fashion.

Have any of your children tried to find work of late?
    I know some great young lads who spent days calling round to businesses seeking summer/part-time work without success. It's not as easy as you seem to imply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

3rd level education is largely funded by the exchequer, so unless your kids went to private colleges and you didn't claim the tax reliefs available to you, then the taxpayer was paying towards your kid's education.

Just another example of where those who pay for the services are not necessarily those who consume them.

dvpower wrote: »
    3rd level education is largely funded by the exchequer, so unless your kids went to private colleges and you didn't claim the tax reliefs available to you, then the taxpayer was paying towards your kid's education.

Just another example of where those who pay for the services are not necessarily those who consume them.

Then i paid for them before i had children too. Your argument is the same as the OAP pension argument.

Non car users donot have a car, therefore are not creating wear and tear on the roads?

La tenant, can however use parks, green area, street lighting, etc etc etc.

Missing your point Alastair...

Motor tax has nothing to do with wear and tear on the roads - it's a carbon-based tax. And last I heard - public transport tends to wear road surfaces as well.

LA tenants pay for parks, green area, street lighting, etc etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I don't know. I never got any grant and worked 2, sometimes 3 jobs to pay for mine. At one stage I had a mortgage, 2 education loans, car loan, as well as oil, tv licence, bin charges and car + home insurance coming out of my wages. Meanwhile i drove past a particular pub every day which had a large number of our local "entitled" smoking outside while deciding what horse to back in the next race.

Did you get any mortgage interest relief?

Then i paid for them before i had children too. Your argument is the same as the OAP pension argument.

It is. And its the same as the Property Tax arguement.

People who get OAP payments may pay something towards them, but sometimes not the full cost.

People who get a third level education may pay something towards it, but sometimes not the full cost.

People who get local authority services may pay something towards it, but sometimes not the full cost.

Did you get any mortgage interest relief?

I probably got the same as anyone else who had a similar mortgage and who paid similar stamp duty.
    I don't drink much water either but i will probably have to pay the standard rate as those who guzzle. I don't use my car much on the roads now but i can't see me getting a reduced rate either.

I probably got the same as anyone else who had a similar mortgage and who paid similar stamp duty.
    Your housing was subsidised by the state!! Like local authority tenants housing is subsidised by the state.

That's a turn up for the books. :)

• Advertisement

dvpower wrote: »
    It is. And its the same as the Property Tax arguement.

People who get OAP payments may pay something towards them, but sometimes not the full cost.

People who get a third level education may pay something towards it, but sometimes not the full cost.

People who get local authority services may pay something towards it, but sometimes not the full cost.

Then i've already paid in full. Thanks.

Then i've already paid in full. Thanks.

Not quite. You've been subsidised by others.

Not quite. You've been subsidised by others.
    While I have also subsidised others. Brilliant to be free at last :D

While I have also subsidised others. Brilliant to be free at last :D

Really? You're foregoing any state pension, and done contributing any taxes yourself? Seems to me that you're still firmly embedded in the system.

Really? You're foregoing any state pension, and done contributing any taxes yourself? Seems to me that you're still firmly embedded in the system.

I've paid so much they'll probably give me a Gold Card now Al :D

I've paid so much they'll probably give me a Gold Card now Al :D

Comedic musings as a substitute for engaging with the issue - Check.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,396 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Aye, the tune shifts markedly when it comes to the crunch.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

What alastair is trying to say, tayto, is that you're getting him mixed with someone who has a sense of humour.:D:D

• Advertisement

darkhorse wrote: »
    What alastair is trying to say, tayto, is that you're getting him mixed with someone who has a sense of humour.:D:D

Speaking of humour. You're back to clarify your unsubstantiated 'laughing at the majority' posts then?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement