Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Irish property tax to cost 'on average' €1000 per house.(can you afford it?)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

darkhorse wrote: »
    What alastair is trying to say, tayto, is that you're getting him mixed with someone who has a sense of humour.:D:D

No what he is trying to say is when you push the anti side on a point looking for an answer or when you talk sense to them and they have no comeback they ignore your post and reply with some attempt at a funny remark.

They then stick a few of these on :D:D to let people know they are messing and having a laugh. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,933 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

donalg1 wrote: »
    No what he is trying to say is when you push the anti side on a point looking for an answer or when you talk sense to them and they have no comeback they ignore your post and reply with some attempt at a funny remark.

They then stick a few of these on :D:D to let people know they are messing and having a laugh. :D:D

A laugh ?? In this country full of wasters and grabbers and inequality. Now that would be something. Freebies at the bottom with the Pat Shortt types, tax-breaks at the top with the Brendan Grace lookalikes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

alastair wrote: »
    Speaking of humour. You're back to clarify your unsubstatiated 'laughing at the majority' posts then?
    donalg1 wrote: »

O.K., I have to say that there are some posts that that just warrant a sense of humour. Does not matter what the discussion is about because at the end of the day, what we say here is not going to make any difference to what the govt. has in the pipeline. As regards of any answers that you receive on any subject in any forum, you will always have the perception that everyone else is wrong and you are right.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

A laugh ?? In this country full of wasters and grabbers and inequality. Now that would be something.

Maybe you shouldn't be using these ->:D then? Or are you also 'laughing at the majority' as darkhorse suggests?

O.K., I have to say that there are some posts that that just warrant a sense of humour. Does not matter what the discussion is about because at the end of the day, what we say here is not going to make any difference to what the govt. has in the pipeline. As regards of any answers that you receive on any subject in any forum, you will always have the perception that everyone else is wrong and you are right.
    What they don't get is --

1. People are fed up of corruption and cronyism and it is continuing under FG.
    2. People have nothing left to give.
    3. People are unwilling (even if they had money) to pay rent on their own home.
    4. People are already paying for poor/no services or have private services.
    5. The same people are always asked to pay while others escape.

All you can do is have a laugh, it's free :D:D

• Advertisement

You forgot your primary 'principled opposition' to the property tax - You 'don't want to pay'.

Meanwhile...
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/world/2012/0522/1224316503183.html

All you can do is have a laugh, it's free :D:D

For now, anyway. Down the road, who knows.

You forgot your primary 'principled opposition' to the property tax - You 'don't want to pay'.

Meanwhile...

I bet its not the people on low or minimum wage that is tasked with compiling these statistics.

I bet its not the people on low or minimum wage that is tasked with compiling these statistics.

And what would that have to do with the validity of the facts?

Meanwhile...

There was me thinking you'd dispute the first one for starters but then again how could you.
    You're also right when you say i "don't want to pay" a rent on my own property.

• Advertisement

There was me thinking you'd dispute the first one for starters but then again how could you.
    You're also right when you say i "don't want to pay" a rent on my own property.

Are you 'renting' your car too? :rolleyes:

Are you 'renting' your car too? :rolleyes:

Again --

1. I am using my car on THEIR road so i pay tax.
    2. I am NOT using my home on their road so i don't pay tax.

What about Reilly getting tax breaks for his mansion while not honouring his loans and appearing in Stubbs ?

Again --

What about Reilly getting tax breaks for his mansion while not honouring his loans and appearing in Stubbs ?

I'm not clear - are you 'renting' your car then? And if your house isn't off a road - how do you get to it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Again --

Your house isn't accessible by public roads?:eek:

And you're giving out about James Reilly and his mansion!!!

dvpower wrote: »
    Your house isn't accessible by public roads?:eek:

And you're giving out about James Reilly and his mansion!!!

My house is obviously accessible but i pay my road tax unlike Reilly who gets his self supplied tax breaks. Nice to be in power you get to know people who can do the little favours for you, like the tax break. Or the interest only mortgages like Hogan got from Fingers. Or even someone to built you an extra large garage while you are on holiday while reading the wrong plans he he :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

After paying ~500e tax for your car you're still expected to be grateful for the pothole ridden dirt path leading to your house and be willing to pay more

If all the motor tax went to a private company would they be able to maintain the existing road network? I know people who live on a private road, very nicely surfaced and a decent stretch of road per person living on it and it doesnt cost much to maintain at all. Nowhere close to the 300-500 we're being warmed up to for this property tax

The fact that there is a public road somewhere near your house doesnt justify this new property tax at all.

And what would that have to do with the validity of the facts?

Just that I have this thing about official figures from govt. depts. Probably cause they have not given me much reasons to find anything they say credible. And while I'm at it, I would go as far as to say that since I joined and became involved in any discussions, I have only encountered half dozen people at most that does swallow everything in the way of official figures and charts and graphs.

My house is obviously accessible but i pay my road tax unlike Reilly who gets his self supplied tax breaks.

Neither Reilly or you pay road tax. I think you'll find Reilly does pay his motor tax all the same. So, just to clarify - you are making use of the public roads to access your property, and you're not 'paying rent' on your car (just as you wouldn't be on your house under a property tax)?

Just that I have this thing about official figures from govt. depts. Probably cause they have not given me much reasons to find anything they say credible. And while I'm at it, I would go as far as to say that since I joined and became involved in any discussions, I have only encountered half dozen people at most that does swallow everything in the way of official figures and charts and graphs.

Any specific governments you find lack credibility - or is just all of the EU ones? :rolleyes:

Kind handy, if you just want to stick your head in the sand. But I'm sure that's nothing to do with it.

Neither Reilly or you pay road tax. I think you'll find Reilly does pay his motor tax all the same. So, just to clarify - you are making use of the public roads to access your property, and you're not 'paying rent' on your car (just as you wouldn't be on your house under a property tax)?

Good attempt at the twist Al but I do not equate my car to my home. Any service they claim to supply me with is easily covered by all the other taxes. I won't pay a rent for the home i own. Now if i were to get a tax break?

• Advertisement

Good attempt at the twist Al but I do not equate my car to my home. Any service they claim to supply me with is easily covered by all the other taxes. I won't pay a rent for the home i own. Now if i were to get a tax break?

I'm not really fussed what you equate with what, but paying a tax on your car obviously doesn't imply you're 'renting' it - and the same logic applies to taxation on your house.

You're not covering the cost of services provided to you - just like the rest of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Motor tax has nothing to do with wear and tear on the roads - it's a carbon-based tax. And last I heard - public transport tends to wear road surfaces as well.

LA tenants pay for parks, green area, street lighting, etc etc etc

Motor tax has been around alot longer than the carbon tax. The carbon tax was actually added to the cost of fuel (diesel and petrol). It has now merged into a form of tax where if you can afford a new car you get to pay lower taxes. How is that fair? And what does motor tax have to do with propery tax. Shouldn't you be paying your poll tax and interest?

What do LA tenants pay? They pay very little in comparison to those who own their property and have a mortgage.

If people who own a property are liable for a tax on their property in order to maintain local services provided by their local authority then I see no reason why those renting are not liable for an accommodation tax like they have in other parts of Europe. If it means the average house tax is reduced from €1000 to €700 and those renting have to pay €300 I'm all for it. This country has enough freeloaders.

I'm not really fussed what you equate with what, but paying a tax on your car obviously doesn't imply you're 'renting' it - and the same logic applies to taxation on your house.

You're not covering the cost of services provided to you - just like the rest of us.

The "services" are rubbish and like Hogan I won't pay for services i'm not receiving.

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Motor tax has been around alot longer than the carbon tax. The carbon tax was actually added to the cost of fuel (diesel and petrol). It has now merged into a form of tax where if you can afford a new car you get to pay lower taxes. How is that fair? And what does motor tax have to do with propery tax. Shouldn't you be paying your poll tax and interest?
    Not really - I'm not liable for any back taxes. Can you say the same? Motor tax is levied only on car owners, just as property tax is just levied on property owners - this concept seems lost on many who were happy enough to pay their motor tax, but suddenly find the notion inequitable.
    What do LA tenants pay? They pay very little in comparison to those who own their property and have a mortgage.
    You think that a year's local authority rent amounts to less than a year's property tax?!
    If people who own a property are liable for a tax on their property in order to maintain local services provided by their local authority then I see no reason why those renting are not liable for an accommodation tax like they have in other parts of Europe. If it means the average house tax is reduced from €1000 to €700 and those renting have to pay €300 I'm all for it. This country has enough freeloaders.
    The tax is a partial revenue source for local authority overheads. You don't know what the average property tax is going to be - so let's not pretend otherwise. I'm equally not clear on why those who don't own property should be considered freeloaders by those who do. Are those who choose not to buy a car 'freeloading' off those who did?

The "services" are rubbish and like Hogan I won't pay for services i'm not receiving.

Except you are receiving them. Hogan is disputing a private contract - different thing entirely.

Any specific governments you find lack credibility - or is just all of the EU ones? :rolleyes:

Kind handy, if you just want to stick your head in the sand. But I'm sure that's nothing to do with it.

Ya know, I think you are the one with your head in the sand. All I ever see in your posts is you keep coming back to the same thing, which is to compare one tax with another. For that reason, I'm out.:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

My house is obviously accessible but i pay my road tax unlike Reilly who gets his self supplied tax breaks.
    Tell me more about Reilly's self supplied tax break on his motor tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Not really - I'm not liable for any back taxes. Can you say the same? Motor tax is levied only on car owners, just as property tax is just levied on property owners - this concept seems lost on many who were happy enough to pay their motor tax, but suddenly find the notion inequitable.

You think that a year's local authority rent amounts to less than a year's property tax?!

The tax is a partial revenue source for local authority overheads. You don't know what the average property tax is going to be - so let's not pretend otherwise. I'm equally not clear on why those who don't own property should be considered freeloaders by those who do. Are those who choose not to buy a car 'freeloading' off those who did?

Motor tax is not a car ownership tax but to use a car on roads that don't belong to the car owner. You only use your house on your own land so shouldn't have to pay the government to be allowed to do that.

The rent for some people is very little. Not sure if its still the case but there used to be people paying 2 pound a month rent and paid for with dole money so the actual amount doesn't matter.

If its only ever going to be partial there is no point, might as well lump the cost onto the existing tax as has been done, no need to chance anything. unless you're trying to free up central government money for things that are less noble than your famous local services

Ya know, I think you are the one with your head in the sand. All I ever see in your posts is you keep coming back to the same thing, which is to compare one tax with another. For that reason, I'm out.:D:D:D:D

Watch out for that awkward factual information on your way out.

• Advertisement

Except you are receiving them. Hogan is disputing a private contract - different thing entirely.

Private or public i'm like him and not paying for what i don't get.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement